QI

Old Jul 21st 2013, 7:04 am
BEd Enthusiast

cjones has a reputation beyond reputecjones has a reputation beyond reputecjones has a reputation beyond reputecjones has a reputation beyond reputecjones has a reputation beyond reputecjones has a reputation beyond reputecjones has a reputation beyond reputecjones has a reputation beyond reputecjones has a reputation beyond reputecjones has a reputation beyond reputecjones has a reputation beyond repute
Default QI

According to this article from the BBC, Carling, "the UK's biggest-selling beer, with more than 1bn pints brewed in the UK last year, hails from Ontario, Canada, where it was brewed for more than 100 years before a drop was sold on British soil".... I was quite surprised by that.

So with that in mind and unashamedly ripping off the BBC quiz of the same name, let's have a thread for all those odd bits of trivia that come up from time to time that serve no real purpose other than being quite interesting.

No real rules, other than the stuff should have some (however tenuous) link to Canada and if you can be arsed, add a link to the source of the information.
Old Jul 21st 2013, 10:25 am
BE user by choice

Location: A Briton, married to a Canadian, now in Fredericton.
MillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: QI

How odd CJ, I'd never identified Carling an being Canadian either.

Can I give you my bit of odd trivia? Dr. Cluny McPhearson, born and died in NS, but being of the right age got to serve in both the first and second world wars. He invented the Gas Mask, and thus saved countless lives.....yes a school project for sprog...nominate a worthy Canadian, born and died in Canada, it wasn't that easy, so I was delighted to find this chap, who I'd never heard of.
Old Jul 21st 2013, 10:43 am
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

The paint roller was invented by Canadian Norman Beakey in 1940.

Carlingview Drive in Toronto is named for the brewery. I vaguely remember being able to see the big copper kettles from the street, although that may have been the Amstel brewery in Hamilton.
Old Jul 21st 2013, 11:25 am
Lowering the tone

Jingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond repute

In Scotland, beers are popularly classified by "shillings".

60/- (also called "light") is broadly equivalent to English mild.

70/- (also called "special") is broadly equivalent to English bitter.

80/- (also called "heavy") is broadly equivalent to English best bitter.

The shillings signify the amount of duty that was charged on a barrel.
Old Jul 21st 2013, 3:28 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jingsamichty
In Scotland, beers are popularly classified by "shillings".

60/- (also called "light") is broadly equivalent to English mild.

70/- (also called "special") is broadly equivalent to English bitter.

80/- (also called "heavy") is broadly equivalent to English best bitter.

The shillings signify the amount of duty that was charged on a barrel.
And the tenuous connection to Canada?
Old Jul 21st 2013, 3:39 pm
Lowering the tone

Jingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Novocastrian
And the tenuous connection to Canada?
Oh, I didn't read that, I thought it was just off-the-top-of-your-head stuff that might be interesting, and I thought of a beer link.

QI facts about Canada... hmmm, this just got harder...
Old Jul 21st 2013, 3:43 pm
Banned

Auld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond repute

Frederick Banting, Charles Best and others were much responsible for the discovery of Insulin. Banting and another man J.J.R. Macleod were awarded a Nobel Prize in 1923.

http://www.jbc.org/content/277/26/e15.full

A considerably more important discovery than Carling beer.

Last edited by Auld Yin; Jul 21st 2013 at 3:58 pm.
Old Jul 21st 2013, 4:22 pm
Stand-up Philosopher

caretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Auld Yin
Frederick Banting, Charles Best and others were much responsible for the discovery of Insulin.
A considerably more important discovery than Carling beer.
Speak for yourself. In the tiny Saskatchewan town I grew up in, the first whole bottle of beer I ever drank in my life was a Carling Black Label, and I would have been 5 or 6. I can remember making sure to act sober when I got home.
Old Jul 21st 2013, 4:48 pm
Pictou County Superstar™

Greenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond repute

Diabetes was invented in 1964 in Hamilton, Ontario by Miles Gilbert Horton.

Quite an interesting coincidence, as insulin was also invented in Ontario.
Old Jul 21st 2013, 5:50 pm
Stand-up Philosopher

caretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond repute

That was Sugar Diabetes, far more insidious than the lesser known, benign, Vegetable Diabetes.
Old Jul 21st 2013, 6:37 pm
Pictou County Superstar™

Greenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond repute

Is it true that you invented the Robertson Screwdriver when you demanded that Robertson serve your vodka and orange in a square glass?

Originally Posted by caretaker
That was Sugar Diabetes, far more insidious than the lesser known, benign, Vegetable Diabetes.
Old Jul 21st 2013, 7:00 pm
Lowering the tone

Oh, I didn't read that, I thought it was just off-the-top-of-your-head stuff that might be interesting, and I thought of a beer link.

QI facts about Canada... hmmm, this just got harder...
Right...

Canada ranks 23rd on the world list of beer consumption, with an average of consumption of 68 litres per person per year. (That's 120 pints per year)

For comparison, the UK is 18th on the list, at 74 litres (130 pints), and the USA is 12th, at 78 litres (137.5 pints).
Old Jul 21st 2013, 7:06 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Right...

Canada ranks 23rd on the world list of beer consumption, with an average of consumption of 68 litres per person per year. (That's 120 pints per year)
That's incredibly hard to believe. I alone consume 1266 litres a year and the wife is the tippler in our house.
Old Jul 21st 2013, 7:08 pm
Pictou County Superstar™

Just another case of the UK holding Scotland back, eh?

For comparison, the UK is 18th on the list, at 74 litres (130 pints)
Old Jul 21st 2013, 7:18 pm
BE Forum Addict

CanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond repute

Right...

For comparison, the UK is 18th on the list, at 74 litres (130 pints), and the USA is 12th, at 78 litres (137.5 pints).
Speaking on drinks, Canada does rank #1 in the world for the consumption of fruit juice. Here's that and a bunch of other interesting stats: http://www.nationmaster.com/country/ca/Top-Rankings

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.