PS3 - Laptop

Old Oct 18th 2007, 4:05 pm
Forum Regular

Chancey is an unknown quantity at this point
Default PS3 - Laptop

Evening All

We are going to live in Vancouver from January, my boys want a PS3 and laptop for Christmas which I will buy in the UK, does anyone know (before I buy them) if they will be compatible in Canada. I dont want to buy them and then ship them over to find they dont work. I am not taking other electrical items as I have been told they won't work.

Thanks
The Chanceys
Old Oct 18th 2007, 4:08 pm
BE Forum Addict

steve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: PS3 - Laptop

Originally Posted by Chancey
Evening All

We are going to live in Vancouver from January, my boys want a PS3 and laptop for Christmas which I will buy in the UK, does anyone know (before I buy them) if they will be compatible in Canada. I dont want to buy them and then ship them over to find they dont work. I am not taking other electrical items as I have been told they won't work.

Thanks
The Chanceys
A laptop will generally work with a plug converter (I'm using one now) but ps3 I would wait till you get out there.

See this thread

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showt...&highlight=ps3
Old Oct 18th 2007, 5:03 pm
BE Forum Addict

boxerdog03 has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog03 has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog03 has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog03 has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog03 has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog03 has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog03 has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog03 has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog03 has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog03 has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog03 has a reputation beyond repute

We saw PS3's on sale for $400, deffo leave that till you get there
Old Oct 18th 2007, 5:36 pm
Forum Regular

Chancey is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks both for your feedback, looks like I will buy it out there, I looked at the PS3 thread

Cheers
Annette
Old Oct 18th 2007, 6:23 pm
BE Forum Addict

MarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond repute

I looked at buying a laptop before moving out, but they seemed as cheap or cheaper here so I bought one after arriving. Most should work anywhere though.

Biggest problem was finding a laptop with XP rather than Vista, since few stores still sell them. Most only seem to sell XP online now, despite the fact that even the computer sales people in some of the stores we visited said they wouldn't buy Vista yet either!
Old Oct 18th 2007, 7:44 pm

Steve_P is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by MarkG
I looked at buying a laptop before moving out, but they seemed as cheap or cheaper here so I bought one after arriving. Most should work anywhere though.

Biggest problem was finding a laptop with XP rather than Vista, since few stores still sell them. Most only seem to sell XP online now, despite the fact that even the computer sales people in some of the stores we visited said they wouldn't buy Vista yet either!
I have learned to live with Vista.

It can be frustrating especially when most of your other hardware is not Vista compatible some works in a basic way some won't work period.

Actually I'm more upset with Hewlett Packard for none support of two printers and a flatbed scanner. Their response was we will not be writing new Vista compatible drivers for these products, our recommended solution buy new printers and a new scanner.:curse:

Plus it is annoying to have Vista ask if you really want to do this when installing or even running some software.

But I wouldn't not buy a computer just because it has Vista.

Cheers
Steve
Old Oct 18th 2007, 8:13 pm

bazzz is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Steve_P

Plus it is annoying to have Vista ask if you really want to do this when installing or even running some software.
You can turn this off somewhere - maybe Control Panel. We got a new laptop with Vista on it. I spent a good couple of hours getting it to look Windows 98 and behave like XP. It's still slower, buggier and more annoying than XP though.
Old Oct 18th 2007, 8:22 pm

Originally Posted by bazzz
You can turn this off somewhere - maybe Control Panel. We got a new laptop with Vista on it. I spent a good couple of hours getting it to look Windows 98 and behave like XP. It's still slower, buggier and more annoying than XP though.
I now you can but you also disable other components that are possibly worthwhile, besides although annoying it really doesn't show up that often anymore.

I've had no issues with it being buggier but then I'm not sure I'd notice anyway. Everything that's on it now runs without any issues.

Why would you want to try to make it look like Win98 and run like XP?

If you've got XP just reformat and install that.

Cheers
Steve
Old Oct 18th 2007, 8:25 pm
BE Forum Addict

MarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond repute

It's still slower, buggier and more annoying than XP though.
Exactly. My laptop has 1GB of RAM, so if I'd bought it with Vista instead of XP it would probably run about as well as my girlfriend's does with 128MB and Windows 98...

I wouldn't even think of running Vista with less than 2GB.
Old Oct 18th 2007, 8:26 pm

bazzz is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Steve_P
I now you can but you also disable other components that are possibly worthwhile, besides although annoying it really doesn't show up that often anymore.

I've had no issues with it being buggier but then I'm not sure I'd notice anyway. Everything that's on it now runs without any issues.

Why would you want to try to make it look like Win98 and run like XP?

If you've got XP just reformat and install that.

Cheers
Steve
It's a Dell that was "designed" for XP and I'm not convinced that XP would like the hardware. Probably be okay, but I don't want to risk it as it's a work computer. I've always hated the default "Fisher Price" XP interface, far too gaudy for serious use. And as for making it run like XP - I hate the way they pointlessly moved stuff around in Vista for no obvious reason. It's a truly dire piece of software.
Old Oct 18th 2007, 8:31 pm

It's a Dell that was "designed" for XP and I'm not convinced that XP would like the hardware. Probably be okay, but I don't want to risk it as it's a work computer. I've always hated the default "Fisher Price" XP interface, far too gaudy for serious use. And as for making it run like XP - I hate the way they pointlessly moved stuff around in Vista for no obvious reason. It's a truly dire piece of software.
I can't really disagree, as I said in my first post I've learned to live with it.

I still occasionally get mad enough to threaten to reformat and start over with XP. At least XP liked my hardware.