Proud Mum!

Old Aug 23rd 2007, 6:49 pm
BE Forum Addict

Craftybanshee has a reputation beyond reputeCraftybanshee has a reputation beyond reputeCraftybanshee has a reputation beyond reputeCraftybanshee has a reputation beyond reputeCraftybanshee has a reputation beyond reputeCraftybanshee has a reputation beyond reputeCraftybanshee has a reputation beyond reputeCraftybanshee has a reputation beyond reputeCraftybanshee has a reputation beyond reputeCraftybanshee has a reputation beyond reputeCraftybanshee has a reputation beyond repute
Default Proud Mum!

I know this is nothing to do with immigration but I have to post some positive good news.

Our 16 year old son got his GCSE results today ....... and he's a straight A student in all but one of his exams! He got one B grade. He's worked so hard and put a lot of effort in this year. Now he's reaping the rewards. We're really proud of him, and he got interviewed on our local radio station, and by a couple of reporters because he got the highest grades at his school.

He did much better than his parents at the same age. I got thrown out of my science exam when I turned up, for not doing enough work

Last edited by Craftybanshee; Aug 23rd 2007 at 6:50 pm. Reason: To ramble on some more ......
Old Aug 23rd 2007, 6:58 pm
BE Forum Addict

Yoong has a reputation beyond reputeYoong has a reputation beyond reputeYoong has a reputation beyond reputeYoong has a reputation beyond reputeYoong has a reputation beyond reputeYoong has a reputation beyond reputeYoong has a reputation beyond reputeYoong has a reputation beyond reputeYoong has a reputation beyond reputeYoong has a reputation beyond reputeYoong has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Proud Mum!

Congratulations to C and Mr.B .You are both proud parents to have
such a bright and intelligent son
Ahhh,they were envious of you ,that was why you got thrown out
of the science exam.
Yoong
Old Aug 23rd 2007, 7:04 pm
Now on Vancouver Island

Judy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond repute

Many congratulations, Craftybanshee.
Old Aug 23rd 2007, 7:09 pm
ModerĪ±tor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Congratualtions. You cant really ask any more than that!

I cant help get the impression though that they give out A grades now like they used to give out detentions in my day. Now every year the results break records, and I swear the kids are not getting any smarter or the teachers any better.
Old Aug 23rd 2007, 7:14 pm
BE Forum Addict

Purley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, according to my sister, two of her grandchildren are in the "gifted" class. However, both her son and his wife say they certainly weren't all that bright at school and have no idea how their kids came to be gifted!

I really wonder if Iaink is right. Whereas we might have got a C in our day - that equals to A+ nowadays!
Old Aug 23rd 2007, 8:00 pm

Piff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond repute

Congratulations to your son crafty for getting great exam results, I know how stressed kids get over their exams, my stepson also got his results today a couple of A's, B's and a C - enough to get him into the course he wants to do so he's happy.

I know some people think A grades are given out like smarties but with all the disruption and overcrowding in classrooms that you get - even from when I was in school makes it really hard to learn anything and I don't think you can ask anymore of your kids if they come home with the best grades - especially the best grades in the school - that is sooo cooool!
Old Aug 23rd 2007, 8:18 pm
BE Forum Addict

Craftybanshee has a reputation beyond reputeCraftybanshee has a reputation beyond reputeCraftybanshee has a reputation beyond reputeCraftybanshee has a reputation beyond reputeCraftybanshee has a reputation beyond reputeCraftybanshee has a reputation beyond reputeCraftybanshee has a reputation beyond reputeCraftybanshee has a reputation beyond reputeCraftybanshee has a reputation beyond reputeCraftybanshee has a reputation beyond reputeCraftybanshee has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks everyone
Old Aug 23rd 2007, 10:11 pm
BE Enthusiast

joelsa is a splendid one to beholdjoelsa is a splendid one to beholdjoelsa is a splendid one to beholdjoelsa is a splendid one to beholdjoelsa is a splendid one to beholdjoelsa is a splendid one to beholdjoelsa is a splendid one to beholdjoelsa is a splendid one to beholdjoelsa is a splendid one to beholdjoelsa is a splendid one to beholdjoelsa is a splendid one to behold

Congratulations to you all, you must be really proud

Jo xx
Old Aug 23rd 2007, 10:58 pm
BE Enthusiast

zalaben has a reputation beyond reputezalaben has a reputation beyond reputezalaben has a reputation beyond reputezalaben has a reputation beyond reputezalaben has a reputation beyond reputezalaben has a reputation beyond reputezalaben has a reputation beyond reputezalaben has a reputation beyond reputezalaben has a reputation beyond reputezalaben has a reputation beyond reputezalaben has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Craftybanshee
I know this is nothing to do with immigration but I have to post some positive good news.

Our 16 year old son got his GCSE results today ....... and he's a straight A student in all but one of his exams! He got one B grade. He's worked so hard and put a lot of effort in this year. Now he's reaping the rewards. We're really proud of him, and he got interviewed on our local radio station, and by a couple of reporters because he got the highest grades at his school.

He did much better than his parents at the same age. I got thrown out of my science exam when I turned up, for not doing enough work
yes sir!
Old Aug 23rd 2007, 11:14 pm
Forum Regular

OnlineCB is a name known to allOnlineCB is a name known to allOnlineCB is a name known to allOnlineCB is a name known to allOnlineCB is a name known to allOnlineCB is a name known to allOnlineCB is a name known to allOnlineCB is a name known to allOnlineCB is a name known to allOnlineCB is a name known to allOnlineCB is a name known to all

Well Done - you have every right to be pleased as punch and super proud :O)
Old Aug 24th 2007, 9:31 am

Member123 is an unknown quantity at this point

Congratulations Crafty to your very gifted son....it is a big relief when they work hard and get outstanding results.
Old Aug 24th 2007, 11:29 am
Lloydminster AB

kate white has a reputation beyond reputekate white has a reputation beyond reputekate white has a reputation beyond reputekate white has a reputation beyond reputekate white has a reputation beyond reputekate white has a reputation beyond reputekate white has a reputation beyond reputekate white has a reputation beyond reputekate white has a reputation beyond reputekate white has a reputation beyond reputekate white has a reputation beyond repute

congrats to your son crafty give him a pat on the back from me and a glass of champers for you and your OH
Old Aug 24th 2007, 11:47 am
BE Forum Addict

newshoney has a reputation beyond reputenewshoney has a reputation beyond reputenewshoney has a reputation beyond reputenewshoney has a reputation beyond reputenewshoney has a reputation beyond reputenewshoney has a reputation beyond reputenewshoney has a reputation beyond reputenewshoney has a reputation beyond reputenewshoney has a reputation beyond reputenewshoney has a reputation beyond reputenewshoney has a reputation beyond repute

Your son can rightly take great credit for his achievement. My elder son got his GCSE results yesterday too - one A, 5 Bs and 4 Cs, doing far less well than predicted given the As he'd achieved in classwork. But he's dyspraxic and pretty disorganised so his exam technique (or lack thereof) lets him down. I try not to feel disappointed but we all know that this is a snapshot of achievement that brands our kids for life. In UK terms he has done well enough to go on to study his A-levels and thereafter to university.

As for what it all means for the Canadian education boards - I did a search of posts and it seems that B grades and above count for 5 points (or credits?) towards the 100 needed (along with final exams) to graduate Senior High School. But has anyone ever tried to transfer someone at age 16 or 17 into the Canadian high school system? We'd hoped to move this month, but our visas aren't through yet and now I'm beginning to think it's in my eldest's best interest to stay on in London for the two years it will take for him to get his A levels? Any thoughts?
Old Aug 24th 2007, 11:56 am
Forum Regular

annie3-4 has much to be proud ofannie3-4 has much to be proud ofannie3-4 has much to be proud ofannie3-4 has much to be proud ofannie3-4 has much to be proud ofannie3-4 has much to be proud ofannie3-4 has much to be proud ofannie3-4 has much to be proud ofannie3-4 has much to be proud ofannie3-4 has much to be proud ofannie3-4 has much to be proud of

Well done to your son, he has obviously worked very hard. I hate it when kids do well and people say "oh the exams are getting easier" It just denigrates all their hard work. The kid deserves all the credit and praise. I think GCSEs are harder cos of all the course work. I managed to get all my "o-levels" mainly by winging it. I think I would have struggled to consistently produce good coursework. too lazy at the time. I was lucky in that I could cram at the end and turn it on for the day. Kids now need to work consistently hard. I know when my daughter managed an A in history a year ahead of time at age 15 she was upset when some folk said, exams are easy now, they give out As to anyone.
Old Aug 24th 2007, 6:35 pm

or4ngecrush is an unknown quantity at this point

Thats great news, thanks for sharing