Property prices - Vancouver

Wikiposts

Property prices - Vancouver

Old May 20th 2009, 8:24 am
Just Joined

Melmouth is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Property prices - Vancouver

Originally Posted by Novocastrian
Your friend has a good deal, but not one he'd find in a major city. As this link

http://www.globalpropertyguide.com/E.../Rental-Yields

shows, rents are 2-3X higher than that in the cities.

My feeling is that there is a strong direct or passed down memory of the hyperinflation in the 20's and 30's. People understand that large numbers of zeros on the price of a house (or a loaf of bread) are not particularly desirable.
The site offers a basic insight into rents in Germany yet it demonstrates exactly the point I made... they are cheap.

UK citizen's memory of the UK house price crashes of the late 70's, the early 80's and the mid 90's has not stabilised the UK market. I am not at all convinced that memories of what happened to their grandparents is all that it takes in Germany. Brazilians have far more current memories of hyper-inflation than Germans and yet are currently experiencing house price inflation.

The argument I laid out explains the German situation and it doesn't rely on self-control.
Old May 20th 2009, 9:29 am
RETIRED Realtor

MB-Realtor has a reputation beyond reputeMB-Realtor has a reputation beyond reputeMB-Realtor has a reputation beyond reputeMB-Realtor has a reputation beyond reputeMB-Realtor has a reputation beyond reputeMB-Realtor has a reputation beyond reputeMB-Realtor has a reputation beyond reputeMB-Realtor has a reputation beyond reputeMB-Realtor has a reputation beyond reputeMB-Realtor has a reputation beyond reputeMB-Realtor has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Melmouth
The site offers a basic insight into rents in Germany yet it demonstrates exactly the point I made... they are cheap.

UK citizen's memory of the UK house price crashes of the late 70's, the early 80's and the mid 90's has not stabilised the UK market. I am not at all convinced that memories of what happened to their grandparents is all that it takes in Germany. Brazilians have far more current memories of hyper-inflation than Germans and yet are currently experiencing house price inflation.
If you had bought at the very peak before the fall in each of the prior crashes you would still have made a sizable profit from your purchase in the UK market within a few years of that purchase.

British House prices have risen steadily since 1945, despite some ups and downs, they have proven to be a good investment, as well as a place to live.

The important line above is "a place to live" most British people prefer to own their own home, so that they can alter it to suite both their tastes and their life styles, something you can not do with a rented property.

If in achieving those goals, they may also either make a profit from the eventual sale of the home and them downsizing, or have considerably less outgoing when their mortgage is paid off, this too makes them happier than if they had rented their whole lives.
Old May 20th 2009, 10:07 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by JonboyE
However, Canadian mortgage lenders are very strictly regulated. In the last ten years you simply could not get a mortgage if the payments exceeded 32% of your gross income. You could not get a 125% mortgage. If you wanted a loan to value ration of less than 80% you HAD to buy insurance to protect the lender in case of default.
I am not yet in Canada again but I understand from various sources that 100% 'cashback' mortgages were offered there. If it were not the case that credit terms have been loosened then one simply could not have house price inflation without significant wage inflation.
Old May 20th 2009, 10:08 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by MB-Realtor
If you had bought at the very peak before the fall in each of the prior crashes you would still have made a sizable profit from your purchase in the UK market within a few years of that purchase.

British House prices have risen steadily since 1945, despite some ups and downs, they have proven to be a good investment, as well as a place to live.

The important line above is "a place to live" most British people prefer to own their own home, so that they can alter it to suite both their tastes and their life styles, something you can not do with a rented property.

If in achieving those goals, they may also either make a profit from the eventual sale of the home and them downsizing, or have considerably less outgoing when their mortgage is paid off, this too makes them happier than if they had rented their whole lives.
Ignore the real hardship house price inflation causes society if you will.

Last edited by Melmouth; May 20th 2009 at 10:11 am.
Old May 20th 2009, 10:31 am
Binned by Muderators

JonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond repute

If it were not the case that credit terms have been loosened then one simply could not have house price inflation without significant wage inflation.
One simply could.

The 32% of gross income on housing cost restriction has always been there. Wages did not rise significantly, yet house prices did.

Not everyone needs a mortgage.

Last edited by JonboyE; May 20th 2009 at 10:34 am.
Old May 20th 2009, 10:43 am
slanderer of the innocent

ExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond repute

I am not yet in Canada again but I understand from various sources that 100% 'cashback' mortgages were offered there. If it were not the case that credit terms have been loosened then one simply could not have house price inflation without significant wage inflation.
By Canadian banks? Not that I've heard of. For our mortgage we had to prove income, put down a certain amount, as JBE said.

I have heard of dodgy mortgages but not from reputable canadian banks.
Old May 20th 2009, 10:57 am
RETIRED Realtor

MB-Realtor has a reputation beyond reputeMB-Realtor has a reputation beyond reputeMB-Realtor has a reputation beyond reputeMB-Realtor has a reputation beyond reputeMB-Realtor has a reputation beyond reputeMB-Realtor has a reputation beyond reputeMB-Realtor has a reputation beyond reputeMB-Realtor has a reputation beyond reputeMB-Realtor has a reputation beyond reputeMB-Realtor has a reputation beyond reputeMB-Realtor has a reputation beyond repute

Ignore the real hardship house price inflation causes society if you will.
I don't see how owning your own home causes a problem to society.

Inflation has been a fact of life for my generation (I'm 51) I know no other way.

What is the alternative to Inflation, Deflation or Stagnation? Are these better?

Personally I have always profited in periods of inflation and had harder times during "stagflation" and stagnation.
Old May 20th 2009, 2:39 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Brazilians have far more current memories of hyper-inflation than Germans and yet are currently experiencing house price inflation.

The argument I laid out explains the German situation and it doesn't rely on self-control.

I'm aware of recent Brazilian hyperinflation. If they have forgoten it, (which I seriously doubt), then it seems to strengthen my view that self control is important in the German situation.

Part of the "argument you laid out" hung upon the assertion that German banks were tightly regulated. Simply not true; check out the bank bail outs in the last six months there. They dwarf what's happened in Canada.