Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

Process for buying contact lenses - really?

Process for buying contact lenses - really?

Old Feb 9th 2015, 8:45 pm
cxx
BE Enthusiast

cxx has a reputation beyond reputecxx has a reputation beyond reputecxx has a reputation beyond reputecxx has a reputation beyond reputecxx has a reputation beyond reputecxx has a reputation beyond reputecxx has a reputation beyond reputecxx has a reputation beyond reputecxx has a reputation beyond reputecxx has a reputation beyond reputecxx has a reputation beyond repute
Default Process for buying contact lenses - really?

I just got my prescription for contact lenses and it's identical to my previous one so I call around for prices and discover that Walmart is the cheapest option, then I'm told that to order the lenses I need to make an appointment with their optician to have my eyes measured, prescription checked, etc. Seriously, isn't that what they did when I went to get my original prescription!!!!
I queried the need and was told that's the process here in NB. I just wondered if it was a requirement anywhere else?
Old Feb 9th 2015, 10:17 pm
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Process for buying contact lenses - really?

Originally Posted by cxx
I just got my prescription for contact lenses and it's identical to my previous one so I call around for prices and discover that Walmart is the cheapest option, then I'm told that to order the lenses I need to make an appointment with their optician to have my eyes measured, prescription checked, etc. Seriously, isn't that what they did when I went to get my original prescription!!!!
I queried the need and was told that's the process here in NB. I just wondered if it was a requirement anywhere else?
Why not just get them online? I haven't bought contacts from an optician in years. The ones I wear (Biofinity extended wear multifocals) are $150 for 6 months from the site I frequent here in Australia or $400 from the optician.

Contact Lenses, Designer Eyeglasses, Sunglasses & More | ClearlyContacts.ca™
Old Feb 9th 2015, 10:23 pm
cxx
BE Enthusiast

cxx has a reputation beyond reputecxx has a reputation beyond reputecxx has a reputation beyond reputecxx has a reputation beyond reputecxx has a reputation beyond reputecxx has a reputation beyond reputecxx has a reputation beyond reputecxx has a reputation beyond reputecxx has a reputation beyond reputecxx has a reputation beyond reputecxx has a reputation beyond repute

Unless they're getting their pricing wrong Walmart are cheaper than the online options I've found both in Canada and the US.
Clearly Contacts prices are much higher, even with their rebate offer (and rebates are so unreliable).
Old Feb 9th 2015, 11:27 pm
Professional Cat herder

Zoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond repute

Does your prescription have the base curve and diameter numbers on it ?

If sounds like they are having a laugh.

You could take the prescription anywhere. At least that's how it works in Ontario.

And I agree about clearly contacts. My local independent optometrist is cheaper for my lenses
Old Feb 9th 2015, 11:56 pm
cxx
BE Enthusiast

Yes - prescription has all of the information that's needed. They say that they need to take all the measurements for their own records. Initially they said they needed to check that I could put them in, and the fit, but under a lot of circumstances that wouldn't even be possible!!
They kind of hesitated when I asked if they charged, then said no, but it's just a total pain to have to get an appointment (very limited times) and go through a process which adds no value.
Old Feb 10th 2015, 12:43 am
Professional Cat herder

Zoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond repute

Sounds odd. Guess it depends if the price difference is worth the hassle.
Do you have another optometrist you could take prescription to?
Old Feb 10th 2015, 12:58 am
cxx
BE Enthusiast

Walmart price is 50% of my optometrist and 40% less than Clearly Contacts, so it's probably worth the hassle, but will call some other places just to be sure it's a provincial thing and check their prices.
Old Feb 10th 2015, 1:19 am
Professional Cat herder

You could always pull the " new immigrant " card and sweetly ask them to point you in the direction of the provincial law they are quoting
Old Feb 10th 2015, 1:29 am
BE Forum Addict

HGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Zoe Bell
You could always pull the " new immigrant " card and sweetly ask them to point you in the direction of the provincial law they are quoting
Good idea, I got my contacts from Walmart here in a Ontario. I just showed them my recent prescription and I got the lenses. So if it's a law it's definitely Provincial, so I agree with Zoe, get them to show it to you.
Old Feb 10th 2015, 1:54 am
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Probably just trying to get money from the insurance company for conducting a test.

A bit like Dentists when they encourage patients to have something done for no other reason that they've not used up their annual coverage.
Old Feb 10th 2015, 2:17 am

Piff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond repute

My prescription hadn't changed but was a year old and they refused to sell me more before I got my eyes checked again, they did give me some free lenses though, this was a local opticians. I've not tried Walmart.
Old Feb 10th 2015, 3:45 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

Try another Wal-Mart and see if they say the same thing?

Are the vision centers in Wal-Mart owned by them or 3rd party running them?
Old Feb 10th 2015, 3:47 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

I don't care if someone finds me on linkedin. I don't use it for jobs or job contacts and have changed everything to things completely unrelated to me. Only thing that is real is my name.
Old Feb 10th 2015, 10:42 am
Professional Cat herder

Originally Posted by Jsmth321
I don't care if someone finds me on linkedin. I don't use it for jobs or job contacts and have changed everything to things completely unrelated to me. Only thing that is real is my name.
Maybe you could use some lenses to find the correct thread !!

( before anyone accuses me of being rude.... I'm only kidding. Thought it was funny that's all)
Old Feb 10th 2015, 1:11 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133

Mine are now covered through insurance but in the first couple of years I was here it was cheaper to buy them in the UK and have my dad post them to me.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.