Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

Prince Harry and Meghan ......

Prince Harry and Meghan ......

Old Jan 9th 2020, 8:49 pm
BE Forum Addict

scilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond repute
Default Prince Harry and Meghan ......

This question was asked on another site, discussing their announcement that they would be moving to spend time in the UK and in North America. Some reports are suggesting that Canada is the preferred country, with some suggestion that the split could be 6 months in each country per year.

Assuming that these reports are accurate, the following question was asked ..................

Would they be allowed to, or could they, just move to Canada to live for 6 months out of every year without having to undergo any immigration or visa applications or tests?

It seemed an interesting question to me ............ does anyone have any idea whether a multi-millionaire (Harry is thought to be worth around £30 million, and Meghan around £4 million) could just move to live in Canada, and presumably earn money here (as they say they want to)?
Old Jan 9th 2020, 9:11 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Prince Harry and Meghan ......

Originally Posted by scilly
This question was asked on another site, discussing their announcement that they would be moving to spend time in the UK and in North America. Some reports are suggesting that Canada is the preferred country, with some suggestion that the split could be 6 months in each country per year.

Assuming that these reports are accurate, the following question was asked ..................

Would they be allowed to, or could they, just move to Canada to live for 6 months out of every year without having to undergo any immigration or visa applications or tests?

It seemed an interesting question to me ............ does anyone have any idea whether a multi-millionaire (Harry is thought to be worth around £30 million, and Meghan around £4 million) could just move to live in Canada, and presumably earn money here (as they say they want to)?
If they wish to live and/or work in Canada, strings will be pulled and the red carpet will be rolled out.
Old Jan 9th 2020, 9:32 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
If they wish to live and/or work in Canada, strings will be pulled and the red carpet will be rolled out.
Not by this CBSA officer
Old Jan 9th 2020, 10:00 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Former Lancastrian
Not by this CBSA officer
I can just see you on Border Services - the reboot
Old Jan 9th 2020, 10:05 pm
BE Forum Addict

Partially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Former Lancastrian
Not by this CBSA officer
Good for you. I read something by Piers Morgan on the subject (I did feel dirty after reading anything he writes) and I totally agree with him. Both of them have shirked the duties that they knew they had to adhere to whether they like it or not.

Somehow I can't see Prince Harry on a Saturday morning Costco run texting/phoning Megan as to whether or not to buy the monster pack of bog roll this week or next.

Old Jan 9th 2020, 10:12 pm
BE Forum Addict

scilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond repute

If they withdraw from most of their Royal duties, or even renounce their titles (another suggestion seen), that would negate any strings being pulled, surely??

Would they have needed a visa for their private several week stay in that estate near Victoria?
Old Jan 9th 2020, 10:19 pm
Listen to the Music

dave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond repute

Let's face it, there are few individuals more equal than royals, and when it comes to being equal, the Sussex's can claim to be among the most equal people on earth.
Canada immigration will claim their decision making does not discriminate and treats all on the basis of equality. Thus we can rest assured that since these two live a life of total equality then when it comes to decision making they'll find themselves right at the head of any queue populated with other equals, no matter how long that queue is.
Old Jan 9th 2020, 10:21 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by scilly
If they withdraw from most of their Royal duties, or even renounce their titles (another suggestion seen), that would negate any strings being pulled, surely??

Would they have needed a visa for their private several week stay in that estate near Victoria?

Even if they renounce their titles, PH is the future monarch’s son and brother. I have no doubt strings will always be pulled for them.

They can stay stay/visit Canada for 6 months without a visa.
Old Jan 9th 2020, 10:25 pm
Tea Drinker

Danny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond repute

Good luck to them, I wouldn't wish being born into the Royal Family on my worst enemy. What a life.

I bet the writers of 'The Crown' are ecstatic, they just got another season of new material.
Old Jan 9th 2020, 10:36 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Originally Posted by Danny B
Good luck to them, I wouldn't wish being born into the Royal Family on my worst enemy. What a life.

I bet the writers of 'The Crown' are ecstatic, they just got another season of new material.
I wonder if she will play herself.
Old Jan 9th 2020, 10:44 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

I don't think their being royal is an issue as far as immigration is concerned. They're rich, they can buy entry if they want, there's always an "investor" program.
Old Jan 9th 2020, 11:21 pm
cxx
BE Enthusiast

cxx has a reputation beyond reputecxx has a reputation beyond reputecxx has a reputation beyond reputecxx has a reputation beyond reputecxx has a reputation beyond reputecxx has a reputation beyond reputecxx has a reputation beyond reputecxx has a reputation beyond reputecxx has a reputation beyond reputecxx has a reputation beyond reputecxx has a reputation beyond repute

Is she already a Canadian citizen? She spent several years in Toronto, and seems to like it.
Old Jan 10th 2020, 2:56 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by cxx
Is she already a Canadian citizen? She spent several years in Toronto, and seems to like it.
I don't think so. No mention was made of her being a Canadian citizen when they got engaged, only of her US citizenship.

She was probably here under one of the special visas arrangement under NAFTA for people with special abilities, ie acting.
Old Jan 10th 2020, 4:12 pm
Listen to the Music

dave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond repute

I'm no royalist by any stretch of the imagination and I don't know about anyone else but I find myself at odds with some of how I feel about these two.
On the one hand, I see a privileged, wealthy family with none of the financial life burdens that the rest of us face and who have a good share in an extended business that requires nothing of them but that they show up and shake a few hands and be paid handsomely for the effort.
On the other hand, I see a damaged couple shackled to an uncaring regime that seeks to trample individualism underfoot wherever they find it and unwilling or unable to acknowledge internal difficulties should it reflect unfavourably on the core business.
And there's my conundrum. Against my deeper instincts I actually find myself feeling sorry for them, but I can't help wondering whether I'm being too soft.
Others could very likely sustain the intrusive press attention and other disagreeable aspects of the job but it's clear that the stiff upper lip that shouts 'Calm down and carry on' has impacted a marriage that appears to want the best of all worlds.
I wonder whether a different life outside the UK estranged from a family that will choose to keep them at arms length will be any better.
It would never surprise me that Andrew with his shame will be treated better in the future than Harry, such is the distorted view of loyalty that I witness.
Old Jan 10th 2020, 7:10 pm
Dive Bar Drunk

JamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond repute

We're so far beyond first world problems here it's not funny.

It really is another reason to disband the monarchy, cease "their" wealth and move Britain into the 21st century.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.