Prescription drugs

Old May 13th 2009, 4:44 pm
Slightly Canadian

Atlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Prescription drugs

Originally Posted by Souvenir
You'd been screeched-in
You should see the scar I now sport........

The ambulance was overkill as I was ambulatory myself at the time. However they insisted, and well it was a quiet night in a small community most of whom were standing on the wharf watching as the Coastguard FRC came in. I'dve been embarrased but after 3hrs of drinking tea with lots of sugar to ward of shock I needed a piss more than anything else in the world, including having my gaping wound seeing too. I ended up negotiating with the ambulance crew to be allowed to go to the washroom before they hauled me to the ER.
Old May 13th 2009, 4:46 pm
Banned

Butch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Atlantic Xpat
You should be able to reclaim if you have paid the full whack inadvertently.
I was going to say that.

Originally Posted by Atlantic Xpat
Good grief. Do you expect to have to use an ambulance enough to make it a factor to consider in emmigration?

It cost me $100 when I got taken by ambulance to a hospital having been evacuated from an uninhabited island by the Canadian Coastguard after falling over and badly cutting myself. The Coastguard boat ride was free.
Moral of the story? If you need to get the hospital Call the coast guard.

Originally Posted by iaink
I think the total distance / time is probably a factor. More than one reason to hope you are not stuck in traffic on the way to the hospital I guess.
In Alberta they are theiving bassa's charge by the mile from your HOME address. I recently heard of a story where a calgary resident was taken from Okotoks (visiting family) to High river by ambulance, the paramedics where based in Okotoks, using a vehicle based in Okotoks BUT the bill was from the poor guys Calgary address to HR Hospital
Old May 13th 2009, 5:01 pm
BE Forum Addict

act1980 is a splendid one to beholdact1980 is a splendid one to beholdact1980 is a splendid one to beholdact1980 is a splendid one to beholdact1980 is a splendid one to beholdact1980 is a splendid one to beholdact1980 is a splendid one to beholdact1980 is a splendid one to beholdact1980 is a splendid one to beholdact1980 is a splendid one to beholdact1980 is a splendid one to behold

What about giving birth in Ontario?

What are the costs and are any expenses covered by any kind of insurance?

Ta
Old May 13th 2009, 5:06 pm
Banned

Brownstar has a reputation beyond reputeBrownstar has a reputation beyond reputeBrownstar has a reputation beyond reputeBrownstar has a reputation beyond reputeBrownstar has a reputation beyond reputeBrownstar has a reputation beyond reputeBrownstar has a reputation beyond reputeBrownstar has a reputation beyond reputeBrownstar has a reputation beyond reputeBrownstar has a reputation beyond reputeBrownstar has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by act1980

Ta
Any hospital treatment is covered by the provincial healthcare service, well it is in Aberta and I'm pretty sure it is in all provinces. Remeber the system here is an NHS type system, not like the US were it is all private.
Old May 13th 2009, 5:15 pm
Banned

Auld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond repute

Ta
Ontario has universal health care which covers most requirements except prescription drugs. You can expect to be declared pregnant by your GP, receive regular checkups during confinement, enter a hospital, have the baby and leave without placing your hand in your purse.
Old May 13th 2009, 5:22 pm
BE Forum Addict

act1980 is a splendid one to beholdact1980 is a splendid one to beholdact1980 is a splendid one to beholdact1980 is a splendid one to beholdact1980 is a splendid one to beholdact1980 is a splendid one to beholdact1980 is a splendid one to beholdact1980 is a splendid one to beholdact1980 is a splendid one to beholdact1980 is a splendid one to beholdact1980 is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Brownstar
Any hospital treatment is covered by the provincial healthcare service, well it is in Aberta and I'm pretty sure it is in all provinces. Remeber the system here is an NHS type system, not like the US were it is all private.
Originally Posted by Auld Yin
Ontario has universal health care which covers most requirements except prescription drugs. You can expect to be declared pregnant by your GP, receive regular checkups during confinement, enter a hospital, have the baby and leave without placing your hand in your purse.
Wow that's amazing! I am sure I read somewhere that it can cost thousands of $$$$
Old May 13th 2009, 5:23 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Ta
As long as you have met the three month provincial residency requirement there are no hospital charges. Drugs prescribed and provided while in hospital are also covered. If you want to upgrade to a private or semi private room rather than the ward that will cost additional, usually covered by benefits again to some extent. Most, but not all provinces, have a similar residency requirement.

If you haven't done the 3 months then it has the potential to be an expensive hassle as OHIP will not cover you, although the child is covered from birth. Private insurance cover probably wont be an option either as pregnancy is very definitely a "pre existing condition"

Once you have given birth, then the real costs start to rack up Still, my dad says the first 25 years are the worst part....

Last edited by iaink; May 13th 2009 at 5:29 pm.
Old May 13th 2009, 5:29 pm
BE Forum Addict

As long as you have met the three month provincial residency requirement there are no hospital charges. Drugs prescribed and provided while in hospital are also covered. If you want to upgrade to a private or semi private room rather than the ward that will cost additional, usually covered by benefits again to some extent.

If you haven't done the 3 months then it has the potential to be an expensive hassle as OHIP will not cover you, although the child is covered from birth. Private insurance cover probably wont be an option either as pregnancy is very definitely a "pre existing condition"

Once you have given birth, then the real costs start to rack up Still, my dad says the first 25 years are the worst part....

Thanks for the info
Old May 13th 2009, 7:30 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for your reply. Do most companies offer insurance plans that cover subsidised drugs?
In 3 years, I haven't worked for a company yet that offered extended health. Many do, but never assume or expect it as many also dont offer it.

I am in BC but we atleast have pharmacare which is income based, lower the income the lower ones deductible.

I pay 100% of the prescription cost for the first 700 in a year and then pharmacare kicks in 100% after that, but I am low income, less then 14,000/yr.

Then certain drugs for certain illness have their own plan which will cover the cost of the drug., but this is for BC. For instance plan G covers certain mental health medications where the patient will pay 0 out of pocket if on that plan.

Decided to add it in case someone comes across this post and coming to BC,
I find the cash prices in Canada about the same as I paid in California, but every drug will be different.

Last edited by scrubbedexpat091; May 13th 2009 at 7:35 pm.
Old May 13th 2009, 8:09 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Its somewhat ironic that the lower paid jobs where people need more help with drug expenses are the ones less likely to have benefits If you are a MD on $200k your benefits probably would cover optical and orthodontic, even though you can afford it anyway...

The sliding deductable idea at least protects you in the event of serious drug requirements....nothing like that in Ontario as far as I am aware

Last edited by iaink; May 13th 2009 at 8:11 pm.
Old May 13th 2009, 8:23 pm
BE Forum Addict

Its somewhat ironic that the lower paid jobs where people need more help with drug expenses are the ones less likely to have benefits If you are a MD on $200k your benefits probably would cover optical and orthodontic, even though you can afford it anyway...

The sliding deductable idea at least protects you in the event of serious drug requirements....nothing like that in Ontario as far as I am aware
Just another one of lifes ironies
Old May 13th 2009, 8:53 pm
Banned

Auld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond repute

In Ontario there is a Government drug scheme (Trillium) to cover people needing super-expensive drugs or drug costs beyond their ability to pay. It is a means tested method whereby those without employer drug plans will have drug costs met by the Government. I have used, and still do, the plan for three years now. My drug costs three years ago were $5,000/mth. The cost is gradually reducing and now is $3,000/mth.
Old May 13th 2009, 9:14 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

I got the impression the trillium plan only really applies if you are either retirement age or effectively on the poverty line. Its not much use to the working poor?

The down side to any drug plan is that often if the drug you need is ot specifically named on the plan (provincial or private), then they wont pay for it anyway. I guess the same is true of the NHS too though.

Just sucks if nothing "normal" is working for you...
Old May 13th 2009, 10:19 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Almost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Butch Cassidy
I was going to say that.

Moral of the story? If you need to get the hospital Call the coast guard.

In Alberta they are theiving bassa's charge by the mile from your HOME address. I recently heard of a story where a calgary resident was taken from Okotoks (visiting family) to High river by ambulance, the paramedics where based in Okotoks, using a vehicle based in Okotoks BUT the bill was from the poor guys Calgary address to HR Hospital
Our son went from Somerset to Rockyview (the one on 14 St whichever one that is) cost $350+
Old May 13th 2009, 10:20 pm
Banned

Butch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Almost Canadian
Our son went from Somerset to Rockyview (the one on 14 St) whichever one that is cost $350+
See theiving Bassas.

What did he do???

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.