Poppy crisis 2014

Old Nov 9th 2014, 2:56 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Poppy crisis 2014

Footballer explains why he chose not to wear poppy. Pressure to wear one leads to death threats.

Sunderland's James McClean receives death threat over poppy protest | Football | The Guardian

Wigan’s James McClean explains refusal to wear poppy against Bolton | Football | The Guardian
Old Nov 9th 2014, 2:58 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Gozit
That was a great article.
I disagree. Firstly, let me say that Jonathan Jones' shirts are an affront to the very concept of aesthetic sensibility, a man who's mother dresses him in that manner ought not to comment on art in any form. His attack on an art installation which moved hundreds of thousands of people is elitist clickbaiting.

Secondly, I think the article makes a strawman argument, the writer accepts as a premise the expansion of the meaning of the wearing of the poppy to include support for a raft of causes which I don't think is sustainable. I don't want to rehash past poppy threads but a list of bandwagon jumpers I don't believe to be endorsed by poppy wearers includes the paid armed forces of today, any fire brigades or police services and the janitorial services of Dufferin County. In short, if you weren't in either war, hey you, get offa my poppy.

Last edited by dbd33; Nov 9th 2014 at 3:01 pm.
Old Nov 9th 2014, 8:11 pm
me/moi

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tirytory
Brought up as one- parents devoted as is my brother now...my children were feeling sorry for me the other day for my lack of birthday and Christmas . Hypocrisy in one easy answer...

My best friend and my mother became my two witnesses required to disfellowship me when I refused to repent my sins.. Might have been easier to pay it lip service but as you might gather that's never been my style
That must have been a fraught time for you. What is it about not celebrating birthdays with the JW? Presumably there's some differing religious interpretation on Christmas, but birthdays seem innocuous. Paying lip-service is living life as lie, so if you're not a believer, I think you did the right thing.
Old Nov 9th 2014, 9:38 pm
BE Forum Addict

calman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond repute

It's a pity so many people forget how many young men died for the freedoms we all enjoy today. Canada lost a vast amount of young men in both the Great War (WWI) from where the poppy ceremonials originate, and also in WWII.

If you have never been to West Flanders in Belgium or visited the former battlefields in that area, especially if you had family who served or died there, I would highly recommend it. Many Canadians make the journey every year!

I can't explain it in words. My Grandfather fought there and it started me on a journey of exploration. You have to stand there yourself to experience it and then discover for yourself the futility of war.

The opinions of some journalist on Al-Jazeera doesn't really interest me because they will never understand what it's about anyway and obviously haven't studied history.
Old Nov 9th 2014, 10:35 pm
me/moi

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by calman014
It's a pity so many people forget how many young men died for the freedoms we all enjoy today. Canada lost a vast amount of young men in both the Great War (WWI) from where the poppy ceremonials originate, and also in WWII.

If you have never been to West Flanders in Belgium or visited the former battlefields in that area, especially if you had family who served or died there, I would highly recommend it. Many Canadians make the journey every year!

I can't explain it in words. My Grandfather fought there and it started me on a journey of exploration. You have to stand there yourself to experience it and then discover for yourself the futility of war.

The opinions of some journalist on Al-Jazeera doesn't really interest me because they will never understand what it's about anyway and obviously haven't studied history.
It is a pity if people forget the losses of war, and is humbling to stand of the battle fields. The journalist, as you probably haven't bothered to read the article before dismissing it, was merely pointing out that the wearing of a poppy has for public figures become an obligation, rather than a personal choice. Assuming you know someone's thoughts or feelings based on whether or not they happen to be wearing a fake little flower on the assigned day is presumptuous.
Old Nov 9th 2014, 11:28 pm
BE Forum Addict

calman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond repute

It's never been an obligation. It's mark of respect, nothing more. Why other people are wearing one doesn't interest me..it just reminds me.
Old Nov 10th 2014, 12:10 am
Stand-up Philosopher

caretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond repute

I have to buy another poppy today for my parka, it's -15 and if some 13 year old cadet is freezing his bag off outside the mall selling poppies I'll gladly pay the buck.
Old Nov 10th 2014, 12:47 am
Muskoka, Ontario

Tirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond repute

It's never been an obligation. It's mark of respect, nothing more. Why other people are wearing one doesn't interest me..it just reminds me.
So no flower=no respect? I respect...I just can't bring myself to overcome my religious upbringing. There are other things that I apply that too also. You can't possibly make a judgement on what I may or may not think because of that.
Old Nov 10th 2014, 1:05 am
He/him

kimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond repute

It's a pity so many people forget how many young men died for the freedoms we all enjoy today...... discover for yourself the futility of war.
Freedoms or futile?
Old Nov 10th 2014, 1:36 am
BE user by choice

Location: A Briton, married to a Canadian, now in Fredericton.
MillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by caretaker
I have to buy another poppy today for my parka, it's -15
By gum...that's a bit chilly
Old Nov 10th 2014, 10:07 am
limey party pooper

bats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond repute

I've bought one of the poppies from the Tower. Maybe next year I'll pin it on my lapel.
Old Nov 10th 2014, 10:28 am
BE user by choice

Location: A Briton, married to a Canadian, now in Fredericton.
MillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bats
I've bought one of the poppies from the Tower. Maybe next year I'll pin it on my lapel.
Oh well done you! You lucky thing....I too wanted one, but they were all sold, I think they are wonderful.

I have a prayer stand, its a beautiful piece of carved oak in memory of a lad that died on 5th November 1918 when he was 19 in the Somme. I was a very broke student and passed a church hall in Newham, East London that was turning into a matress factory and saw it in the rain. I didn't have the money, but I borrowed it and went back and dragged it home on the bus. This young man's memory has been a talking point wherever I have gone, I took it to Oman, and then to France and now to Canada. It gets people talking and is a wonderful ice breaker. I often wonder how much his parents suffered to make a memorial to their son, and that it should have been so discarded. He is much alive in our home, and we have often discussed him.

How will you get your poppy....will they ship it, or did you do it through family? They look fantastic. How wonderful to be part of such a great artistic and emotional installation
Old Nov 10th 2014, 11:00 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

‘No job for a boy’: WW I through eyes of a Canadian teen soldier - Canada - CBC News
Old Nov 10th 2014, 11:23 am
limey party pooper

bats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MillieF
Oh well done you! You lucky thing....I too wanted one, but they were all sold, I think they are wonderful.

I have a prayer stand, its a beautiful piece of carved oak in memory of a lad that died on 5th November 1918 when he was 19 in the Somme. I was a very broke student and passed a church hall in Newham, East London that was turning into a matress factory and saw it in the rain. I didn't have the money, but I borrowed it and went back and dragged it home on the bus. This young man's memory has been a talking point wherever I have gone, I took it to Oman, and then to France and now to Canada. It gets people talking and is a wonderful ice breaker. I often wonder how much his parents suffered to make a memorial to their son, and that it should have been so discarded. He is much alive in our home, and we have often discussed him.

How will you get your poppy....will they ship it, or did you do it through family? They look fantastic. How wonderful to be part of such ba great artistic and emotional installation
Er, what's a prayer stand? I like the idea of carved oak tho!you must have been really taken with it to go to all that trouble.
I've had the poppy sent to my mum's though they were doing international delivery too. I shall collect it next time I am over.
Old Nov 10th 2014, 11:38 am
Dichotomus tinker

not2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond repute

lost lives of world war 1 & world war 2. Surely its not just about the poppy or anything to do with the poppy?

A remembrance & respect of everyone that died or lived through it .....

World War II death toll of all nations

Last edited by not2old; Nov 10th 2014 at 11:46 am.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.