Poppy crisis 2014

Old Nov 9th 2014, 12:52 pm
me/moi

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Poppy crisis 2014

Originally Posted by Tirytory
I was brought up as a Jehovah's Witness and had
OMG! Are you still?
Old Nov 9th 2014, 1:08 pm
Muskoka, Ontario

Tirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Shard
OMG! Are you still?
No, I was baptized as a teenager and left when I was 18....cue fractured family and stilted conversations. Grandfather passed without ever speaking to me again.

I always talk about friends back home rather than family for that reason. I am the black sheep!
Old Nov 9th 2014, 1:12 pm
me/moi

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute

No, I was baptized as a teenager and left when I was 18....cue fractured family and stilted conversations. Grandfather passed without ever speaking to me again.

I always talk about friends back home rather than family for that reason. I am the black sheep!
Were you GW as a child or just from teenage years. What made you leave?
Old Nov 9th 2014, 1:17 pm
Muskoka, Ontario

Tirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond repute

Brought up as one- parents devoted as is my brother now...my children were feeling sorry for me the other day for my lack of birthday and Christmas . Hypocrisy in one easy answer...

My best friend and my mother became my two witnesses required to disfellowship me when I refused to repent my sins.. Might have been easier to pay it lip service but as you might gather that's never been my style
Old Nov 9th 2014, 1:17 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Danny B
There are some nice photos here of Remembrance Sunday held in Britain today.

BTW, did you know there is a difference between the Royal Canadian Legion Poppy http://imgur.com/F5Lxne1

and the Royal British Legion Poppy http://imgur.com/CuftHc2
I tried to find US version but it seems to vary greatly local to local and not consistent nationwide on how it looks.

Of course the poppy campaign in the US is in May for Memorial Day, but not nearly on the same scale as seen in Canada.

The November Holiday in the US is to show respect to all veterans both in war and peace time and more specifically to honor living vets where Memorial Day is the day to honor those who died in war.
Old Nov 9th 2014, 1:21 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by plasticcanuck
I may be the only one here who agrees with you but nonetheless I do...... And I agree with Jsmth, its almost as if you're bullied into participating with the poppys. I try not to be disrespectful but when I can't go into tim hortons or really any big store without being pestered to buy a poppy especially when people see me without one, and then getting cross looks from everyone around me, its rather hard.

I have lived in Canada many more years than you've been alive and I have never felt any pressure/bullying about buying or not buying a poppy. The men/women "selling" poppies go about their task quietly and don't pass any comment if one chooses to pass them by.
Cross looks from everyone around you is probably the most rubbish comment you have made as yet. Nobody gives a flying fig if you wear or don't wear, buy/don't buy a poppy.

While I have never gotten flack from people selling them, and really around here almost nobody out selling them, just a tray at some check out counters in some stores.

But I have received flack for not wearing one, and more then once and happens every year at some point, always a customer while I am work as they know I can't defend myself and have to be nice to them since I am at work.

But there are indeed people out there who do feel the need to point out your not wearing one and give you flack, I have not gone a year yet where it has not happened.

I'll respect those who have fought and have no issues with those who did, I just don't have any personal connection to a war, and aside from living in a military city growing up, have no personal connection the the military. None of my parents, grand parents, or great grand parents were involved in any war or military, and without a personal connection, I likely feel different then those who do have a direct connection.

I just hate wearing things, and so choose not to wear a poppy, although I do donate a small amount every year. I just wish I could escape the comments over not wearing one which is what irks me.

Last edited by scrubbedexpat091; Nov 9th 2014 at 1:24 pm.
Old Nov 9th 2014, 1:45 pm

Piff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Gozit
I may be the only one here who agrees with you but nonetheless I do...... And I agree with Jsmth, its almost as if you're bullied into participating with the poppys. I try not to be disrespectful but when I can't go into tim hortons or really any big store without being pestered to buy a poppy especially when people see me without one, and then getting cross looks from everyone around me, its rather hard.

And I have a constant reminder as well, my great grandparents were prisoners in a concentration camp, and they went through Auschwitz. That's enough for me and I don't need a special day to think about them. I think about them a lot already and their story has sparked an interest in me about reading about WW I and II and I plan on at some point reading some books my grandma has lying around about the holocaust.
I have never felt pressured or bullied into buying a poppy either. I choose to buy a poppy, generally emptying all the change in my purse, this does get expensive as I tend to lose 3 or 4 before remembrance day

I think most of us, especially the Europeans have some connection to both the World Wars, the lucky ones are those that have relatives/friends that are willing to talk, to share their stories, so we dont forget. It is also with remembering that the Poppy Appeal helps todays war vets.

We are fortunate enough to have become very close friends with a couple that did some remarkably brave if not somewhat awful in some cases things at the tail end and post World War 2. It's people that serve, whether its MI5/6 or military or both or even Officialy Deniable that we have to remember and thank, whether or not you go to a memorial service or just have a moment of contemplation, whether or not you buy a poppy, these people deserve thanks.

(Not aimed specifically at you Gozit).

Last edited by Piff Poff; Nov 9th 2014 at 1:59 pm.
Old Nov 9th 2014, 1:53 pm

Alan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond repute

I shall be showing my respects by enjoying the day off. This freedom from a day at work was bought at a heavy price and it would be churlish to spend the day moping about.

Last edited by Alan2005; Nov 9th 2014 at 1:55 pm.
Old Nov 9th 2014, 1:55 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Gozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by plasticcanuck
Cross looks from everyone around you is probably the most rubbish comment you have made as yet. Nobody gives a flying fig if you wear or don't wear, buy/don't buy a poppy.
Not cross looks in general from people near me. But the people near me when I politely say "no thank you" when asked if i'd like to purchase a poppy. That's what I meant and yes it indeed happens.

I've never experienced funny looks either- maybe you just feel conscious and project that on to others...

I have a weird thing about Poppies...I was brought up as a Jehovah's Witness and had conscientious objectors within my family tree, as JW's do not support war in any way I was brought up not ignoring what happened but not supporting it either. Clearly I'm free to take my own path now, but I still find it hard when it comes to certain issues. Still my husband and son are both wearing one.
To echo Shard, OMG ! I feel sorry for teenage tory. Glad you obviously found the path of logic and reason

Originally Posted by kimilseung
The third post on here or so,talked about it being "disgusting" that a store asked poppy sales people to not do so in their store, this suggests that there is probably some level of judgment in society.
Yeah, this. I think it goes both ways...

Originally Posted by Jsmth321
But I have received flack for not wearing one, and more then once and happens every year at some point, always a customer while I am work as they know I can't defend myself and have to be nice to them since I am at work.

But there are indeed people out there who do feel the need to point out your not wearing one and give you flack, I have not gone a year yet where it has not happened.
Yup same here. Esp. in school they hand them out on remembrance day and teachers constantly ask me where mine disappeared to. Yes even in H.S.....

I'll respect those who have fought and have no issues with those who did, I just don't have any personal connection to a war, and aside from living in a military city growing up, have no personal connection the the military. None of my parents, grand parents, or great grand parents were involved in any war or military, and without a personal connection, I likely feel different then those who do have a direct connection.

I just hate wearing things, and so choose not to wear a poppy, although I do donate a small amount every year. I just wish I could escape the comments over not wearing one which is what irks me.
Yep same here. I don't like wearing "thingies" or so on my body. I won't do watches, necklaces, etc, and I don't do poppys for the same reason. I have the utmost respect for those that fought in WW I and II and ultimately saved my great grandparents, which put me on this earth.
Old Nov 9th 2014, 2:05 pm
Muskoka, Ontario

Originally Posted by Gozit
Not cross looks in general from people near me. But the people near me when I politely say "no thank you" when asked if i'd like to purchase a poppy. That's what I meant and yes it indeed happens.

To echo Shard, OMG ! I feel sorry for teenage tory. Glad you obviously found the path of logic and reason

Yeah, this. I think it goes both ways...

Yup same here. Esp. in school they hand them out on remembrance day and teachers constantly ask me where mine disappeared to. Yes even in H.S.....

Yep same here. I don't like wearing "thingies" or so on my body. I won't do watches, necklaces, etc, and I don't do poppys for the same reason. I have the utmost respect for those that fought in WW I and II and ultimately saved my great grandparents, which put me on this earth.
Ugh no sympathy required. Worse things happen...
Old Nov 9th 2014, 2:11 pm
He/him

kimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond repute

We need more white poppies
Old Nov 9th 2014, 2:12 pm
He/him

kimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond repute

Just came across this, not even read it yet, but it looks relevant. (About UK though)
Enough with the poppy-pushing - Opinion - Al Jazeera English
Old Nov 9th 2014, 2:23 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Gozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond repute

Just came across this, not even read it yet, but it looks relevant. (About UK though)
Enough with the poppy-pushing - Opinion - Al Jazeera English
Yeah its about the UK but applies perfectly well here in Canada... That was a great article.
Old Nov 9th 2014, 2:40 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

We need more white poppies
That's hair splitting. If you don't want to wear a poppy then don't.

Wearing one just acknowledges the sacrifice of individuals in two wars. It doesn't endorse those wars, it doesn't endorse wars in general and it doesn't suggest that the sacrifice of those unlucky conscripts on our side was less or greater than the conscripts on the other. In the case of the second war it's likely fair to say that we're here because they're dead. I don't find it a trouble to acknowledge that annually.

All that said, I lose a few poppies each year, if I'm between them no one says anything, some people have them, some don't. The only time I've seen strong opinion on Remembrance Day is over people who will not shut up for two minutes.
Old Nov 9th 2014, 2:44 pm
BE user by choice

Location: A Briton, married to a Canadian, now in Fredericton.
MillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Greenhill
Ignoring poppies and charities for a moment, I'm looking forward to doing what I usually try to do at this time of the year: watching a few WWII documentaries on the History channel and thinking, a lot, about my grandparents.
My father was awarded the DFM as a navigator during the war. He also bombed Dresden, once in real life, but thereafter once weekly mentally at home with my family....service families suffer big time, they need our support. I am all for white poppies, nobody wants bloodshed do they?

My son has worked at the Veterans Unit this week, the men that he was with hadn't really been given a chance one way or another. How many of us on a day to day basis actually decide our fate?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.