BE - Pilots

Old Feb 13th 2015, 3:50 pm
BE Enthusiast

ArthurBrit has a reputation beyond reputeArthurBrit has a reputation beyond reputeArthurBrit has a reputation beyond reputeArthurBrit has a reputation beyond reputeArthurBrit has a reputation beyond reputeArthurBrit has a reputation beyond reputeArthurBrit has a reputation beyond reputeArthurBrit has a reputation beyond reputeArthurBrit has a reputation beyond reputeArthurBrit has a reputation beyond reputeArthurBrit has a reputation beyond repute
Default BE - Pilots

Hi Guys,

I've been away from the forums for quite a long of time. But since I left I started to work towards my Private Pilot License as I know a few of us have done.

I unfortunately developed a fear of flying and this was exaggerated whilst on an hour building flight in a Cherokee, the starter did not engage and the propeller had to be manually started on the ground. I know it's not the most scary situation but I couldn't fly that day through fear and I have not gone in the air since.

Have you guys ever gone through a wobble whilst learning to fly?
Old Feb 13th 2015, 4:50 pm
Professional Cat herder

Zoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: BE - Pilots

oh yeah. I draw your attention to the link in my signature. If you want scared then I'm going to PM a video link to you
Old Feb 13th 2015, 5:40 pm
Bon Vivant

Simon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond repute

Not only when learning to fly. I did that in 1970 and have had a couple of "hairy moments" since then. It's all part of life's rich tapestry as they say. Get back in the air as soon as you are able. Good luck.
Old Feb 13th 2015, 6:01 pm
BE Enthusiast

ArthurBrit has a reputation beyond reputeArthurBrit has a reputation beyond reputeArthurBrit has a reputation beyond reputeArthurBrit has a reputation beyond reputeArthurBrit has a reputation beyond reputeArthurBrit has a reputation beyond reputeArthurBrit has a reputation beyond reputeArthurBrit has a reputation beyond reputeArthurBrit has a reputation beyond reputeArthurBrit has a reputation beyond reputeArthurBrit has a reputation beyond repute

Zoe just watching the video of that made me sh*t my pants. How were you able to shake it off?
Old Feb 13th 2015, 8:58 pm

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute

Back in the saddle is the best way.

Nearly got sideswiped by a Seafire transiting the zone without talking to anyone. I was just wheels up, something like 200' and he swooped across in front of me. Twas somewhat alarming.

Went out on a solo jolly to come back and find the field had gone, what comes of being near the sea, fog had swooped in. My first SRA! It is always awesome to come out of the cloud and see a long strip of asphalt in front of you, especially if it has no cars on it.

My first retractable flight was an experience too, I had every intention of putting the wheels down, just not quite as soon as the approach controller thought I should.

Stuff happens, it is the decisions you make that influence the outcome. Taking off with a US starter is a no go in my book. With one mixer at the front, if that stops, how would you attempt a restart? Hand swinging at 6000 feet is a tad precarious.
Old Feb 14th 2015, 4:36 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

I took 2 lessons once, the 2nd one scared me a wee bit, and never went back up again, but that was a good thing, save me a lot of money.
Old Feb 14th 2015, 1:18 pm
Professional Cat herder

Zoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ArthurBrit
Zoe just watching the video of that made me sh*t my pants. How were you able to shake it off?
Short answer ...... With a lot of support from my instructor and from Ben

I had the presence of mind to keep.flying for another 2 circuits afterwards because I knew if I didn't I'd never fly again

I'll pm you a slightly longer answer later.

You need to talk to your instructor.
Old Feb 14th 2015, 3:24 pm
Yo

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute

Out of curiosity, did any of the BE flying squad qualify in Britain or consider qualifying in Britain prior to Canada. Is it more difficult or expensive to become a private pilot in the UK. It doesn't seem to be as popular a hobby, at least.
Old Feb 14th 2015, 3:33 pm

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Shard
Out of curiosity, did any of the BE flying squad qualify in Britain or consider qualifying in Britain prior to Canada. Is it more difficult or expensive to become a private pilot in the UK. It doesn't seem to be as popular a hobby, at least.
Got my licence in the UK. Cost, depends who's paying!

Flying in Canada is around half of the cost of the UK as a general rule. New licensing rules in Europe now air regs more stringent in controlled airspace. Standard in the UK is higher than North America. UK airspace more complex, Canada aispace less so, terrain more challenging. BC has mountains, prairies is so flat you can see Torronto from Calgary at 3000 feet.

Flying an aeroplane is flying an aeroplane no matter where you do it. Only the guys with the spinning wings on top sit on the wrong side.
Old Feb 14th 2015, 3:54 pm
Yo

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Aviator
Got my licence in the UK. Cost, depends who's paying!

Flying in Canada is around half of the cost of the UK as a general rule. New licensing rules in Europe now air regs more stringent in controlled airspace. Standard in the UK is higher than North America. UK airspace more complex, Canada aispace less so, terrain more challenging. BC has mountains, prairies is so flat you can see Torronto from Calgary at 3000 feet.

Flying an aeroplane is flying an aeroplane no matter where you do it. Only the guys with the spinning wings on top sit on the wrong side.
Is that true ???

Good response, thank you.
Old Feb 14th 2015, 4:03 pm
Professional Cat herder

Ben always wanted to learn. It was only when we got to Canada that we figured we could afford it.

I sort of accidentally fell into it !

Still expensive though. UK is Outrageously, unbelievably expensive . Canada just expensive.
Old Feb 14th 2015, 6:11 pm
Bon Vivant

Simon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Zoe Bell
Ben always wanted to learn. It was only when we got to Canada that we figured we could afford it.

I sort of accidentally fell into it !

Still expensive though. UK is Outrageously, unbelievably expensive . Canada just expensive.
I refueled this morning at $4.12 a gallon. That's US dollars for US gallons.
Old Feb 14th 2015, 7:28 pm

Originally Posted by Simon Legree
I refueled this morning at $4.12 a gallon. That's US dollars for US gallons.
Jet A $1.30/l incl tax at YPK. Think I will have to pop down to Bellingham to fuel up now.
Old Feb 14th 2015, 7:29 pm

Is that true ???

Good response, thank you.
No.
Old Feb 14th 2015, 7:41 pm

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

Its pretty common in the US to get a private license, loads of people do it.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.