Petrol cost.

Old Apr 21st 2009, 3:05 pm
BE Forum Addict

Purley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond repute
Default Petrol cost.

I had planned on staying in a hotel at Heathrow on our last night in the UK because we had to be at the airport by 10.15 am. However, my sister said her son would drive us.

While I was there she allowed as how it "might be nice" if I paid him for driving me, but when I asked her how much I should give him, she said I would have to decide. As I had absolutely no idea what gas (petrol) costs in the UK, what a new Ford Focus gets to the mile or whether I was supposed to pay him what a hire car would cost - and she wouldn't say, I ended up giving him £40. He had to come from Billericay area to Maidstone to get us and then to Heathrow and back.

Was £40 enough?
Old Apr 21st 2009, 3:09 pm

Steve_P is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Petrol cost.

Originally Posted by Purley
I had planned on staying in a hotel at Heathrow on our last night in the UK because we had to be at the airport by 10.15 am. However, my sister said her son would drive us.

While I was there she allowed as how it "might be nice" if I paid him for driving me, but when I asked her how much I should give him, she said I would have to decide. As I had absolutely no idea what gas (petrol) costs in the UK, what a new Ford Focus gets to the mile or whether I was supposed to pay him what a hire car would cost - and she wouldn't say, I ended up giving him £40. He had to come from Billericay area to Maidstone to get us and then to Heathrow and back.

Was £40 enough?
Why should you have paid the cost of a rental car?

£40 was more than enough to cover the cost of gas (petrol) and the wear and tear on his vehicle.
Old Apr 21st 2009, 3:10 pm
Banned

Butch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond repute

Was £40 enough?
Even it wasnt what are you going to do now?
Oh Liz, thanks for brightening my day.
Old Apr 21st 2009, 3:13 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: 9 years in the canadian trucking industry... Niverville MB
Gremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond repute

i would have thought 40 quid was a bit low,,,but as SHE offerd her son i would have expected her to pay
Old Apr 21st 2009, 3:16 pm
Beep

el_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond repute

Oh my, £40 in a Ford Focus would pay for his fuel and a night out with that journey

He'll be a happy lad with that no doubt. Still saved you ££ on a hotel so good stuff all round in my opinion.
Old Apr 21st 2009, 3:17 pm
Slightly Canadian

Atlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond repute

According to Google directions, Billericay-Maidstone-LHR-Billericay is about 170 miles. Figure 35mpg for a Focus and petrol at around 93p a litre so it cost him 20 quid for petrol. I don't think he will be complaining.
Old Apr 21st 2009, 3:28 pm
BE Forum Addict

Purley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond repute

Well, if I discovered that it was WAY too little, then I would have sent him the extra in a money order.

Good grief - how can I tell? One says it was way too much and someone else says it was way too little!!!!

Not sure that I agree it was a good deal really. I would rather have liked to stay in a hotel and then we could have got up later and just had a short journey by bus in the morning. I also planned on staying one night in London instead of going back and forth. She talked me out of that too, but in retrospect I should have stayed in a hotel the whole time. Booked it before I told them we were going, paid a deposit and then I could say we couldn't cancel.

I very seldom stay with people. I think that is a good policy. After three days we had had enough of them and I am pretty sure they had had enough of us!!!

Last edited by Purley; Apr 21st 2009 at 3:34 pm.
Old Apr 21st 2009, 3:48 pm
BE Enthusiast

AlvicBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlvicBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlvicBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlvicBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlvicBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlvicBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlvicBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlvicBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlvicBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlvicBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlvicBC has a reputation beyond repute

Well, if I discovered that it was WAY too little, then I would have sent him the extra in a money order.

Good grief - how can I tell? One says it was way too much and someone else says it was way too little!!!!

Not sure that I agree it was a good deal really. I would rather have liked to stay in a hotel and then we could have got up later and just had a short journey by bus in the morning. I also planned on staying one night in London instead of going back and forth. She talked me out of that too, but in retrospect I should have stayed in a hotel the whole time. Booked it before I told them we were going, paid a deposit and then I could say we couldn't cancel.

I very seldom stay with people. I think that is a good policy. After three days we had had enough of them and I am pretty sure they had had enough of us!!!

Liz - I was thinking of you over the past few days if you were home or not. Welcome back - sounds as if the holiday went just as expected..lol

Seriously had you and your Grandaughter a nice time - how was Paris??

What about the kennels at Moose Jaw?

Bet your're glad to see the snow has all gone.
Old Apr 21st 2009, 3:54 pm
Beep

el_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond repute

I live in London and know the places you mention and trust me, £40 will easily be enough. Like somebody said above, £20 for the journey tops so he'll be happy. And 35mpg for a focus on the motorway is VERY conservative.

To put into perspective, when i drive up to Yorkshire from London i fill my 1.6 litre golf for about £50 and it gets me up and most of the way back (about 400 miles).

Last edited by el_richo; Apr 21st 2009 at 3:57 pm.
Old Apr 21st 2009, 4:02 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: 9 years in the canadian trucking industry... Niverville MB
Gremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by el_richo
I live in London and know the places you mention and trust me, £40 will easily be enough. Like somebody said above, £20 for the journey tops so he'll be happy. And 35mpg for a focus on the motorway is VERY conservative.

To put into perspective, when i drive up to Yorkshire from London i fill my 1.6 litre golf for about £50 and it gets me up and most of the way back (about 400 miles).
Did any one factor in the dartford tunnel toll ???
Old Apr 21st 2009, 4:16 pm
BE Forum Addict

Paris was OK. We stayed in a hotel near Gare du Nord. My sister had actually booked it for me (I paid for it!) because the Eurostar website was down at the time. I thought it was just fine. Lots of blacks and arabs. My granddaughter thought it was scary!!

We took lots of open bus tours. The best time was when we walked down the Champs Elysees. Weather was gorgeous and it was a lovely walk.

As to the kennels. I can highly recommend them. They only take about 20 dogs at the moment, but are adding 20 more spaces. They delivered the dogs back home on Sunday evening. Norm said he would bring them any time convenient to me. We let the dogs out of their crates and then went crazy jumping on Holly and Norm - the owners of Artistique Acres. That to me is the perfect kennel - somewhere my dogs are happy with the owners. You should give them a try. Its highway all the way to Moose Jaw and then you take Caribou Street as far west as you can go. Its still in the City limits apparently but there are half a dozen acreages all together. Holly and Norm also have horses. They charged me $39 a day for three small dogs in one run. I thought that was very reasonable.

http://www.artistiqueacres.com/
Attached Thumbnails Petrol cost.-dscn6073.jpg  

Last edited by Purley; Apr 21st 2009 at 4:20 pm.
Old Apr 21st 2009, 4:19 pm
Beep

Originally Posted by Gremmie
Did any one factor in the dartford tunnel toll ???
Ok add the £1.50 tunnel charge for the crossing

Still a good deal
Old Apr 21st 2009, 4:25 pm
BE Forum Addict

clynnog is a splendid one to beholdclynnog is a splendid one to beholdclynnog is a splendid one to beholdclynnog is a splendid one to beholdclynnog is a splendid one to beholdclynnog is a splendid one to beholdclynnog is a splendid one to beholdclynnog is a splendid one to beholdclynnog is a splendid one to beholdclynnog is a splendid one to beholdclynnog is a splendid one to behold

Paris was OK. We stayed in a hotel near Gare du Nord. My sister had actually booked it for me (I paid for it!) because the Eurostar website was down at the time. I thought it was just fine. Lots of blacks and arabs. My granddaughter thought it was scary!!
Was that picture taken recently in Paris..I wouldn't have thought the flowers and trees would be out like that in April.

The area near the gare du Nord isn't the greatest but I wouldn't put it down to 'blacks and arabs'....

I wouldn't have paid a relative 40 UKP to drive me to the airport if they offered. I'm sure you would do a reciprocal thing for them. It sounds to me that next time you should visit the place and not the people. I have relatives like that in the UK that I couldn't care less about, but as they are family you are supposed to visit them etc.
Old Apr 21st 2009, 4:34 pm
BE Forum Addict

Yes, it was taken last week. It was really pretty. We also went to Hever Castle. Of course it was Easter Monday and everyone and their dog was there. But the camelias were gorgeous.

I had zero experience at staying with people but my friend has a sister in Paris and she said when she and her husband stayed with them, her sister paid for everything - boat trips, funicular etc. etc. and my friend treated them to dinner on the last day - so I figured that was appropriate. I offered to do that but discovered that my sister was at meetings the last weekend which included dinner - so that didn't work. But at least I tried.

You're right. The place is lovely. I suppose if people visited all the time - that would be different, but if it happened once every 5-10 years then I would hope that I would be happy they spent all that money to come visit and I would not expect to be paid.

No, I just meant that it seemed like a very ethnic area, not many white people. We ate in a restaurant and the people were -- I guess maybe North African and they were very very friendly. We ate there twice actually.
Attached Thumbnails Petrol cost.-dscn5920.jpg   Petrol cost.-dscn5927.jpg  

Last edited by Purley; Apr 21st 2009 at 4:38 pm.
Old Apr 21st 2009, 5:53 pm
half a century

The4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond repute

Glad your back safe - what happened with grand daughter and niece re the shopping etc. . .?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.