Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

Performance reviews...

Performance reviews...

Old Dec 7th 2010, 7:49 pm
Island life at last

helcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Performance reviews...

Originally Posted by dbd33
You have a nice enough boss, you've done a good job and the boss says so. The company needs exactly the same thing doing next year in exactly the same manner. There's no money for a pay increase and, anyway, why would the same thing be worth more next year?

The process is frustrating, pointless and demoralising, the same as always. It's no one's fault except for the creators of the review process, they've failed to acknowledge that work is shit. It's not supposed to be rewarding except for the shareholders.
Well it has been said, "If work was so great, they wouldn't have to pay you to do it!"
Old Dec 7th 2010, 7:58 pm
Temporary Canuck

mattieuk has much to be proud ofmattieuk has much to be proud ofmattieuk has much to be proud ofmattieuk has much to be proud ofmattieuk has much to be proud ofmattieuk has much to be proud ofmattieuk has much to be proud ofmattieuk has much to be proud ofmattieuk has much to be proud ofmattieuk has much to be proud ofmattieuk has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by dbd33
You have a nice enough boss, you've done a good job and the boss says so. The company needs exactly the same thing doing next year in exactly the same manner. There's no money for a pay increase and, anyway, why would the same thing be worth more next year?
The process is frustrating, pointless and demoralising, the same as always. It's no one's fault except for the creators of the review process, they've failed to acknowledge that work is shit. It's not supposed to be rewarding except for the shareholders.
Inflation?
Old Dec 7th 2010, 8:05 pm
BE Forum Addict

jimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond repute

Performance reviews/appraisals - whenever they get mentioned I can't help thinking of the episode from The Office - the scene with Gareth (he has a list of names of the "duds") and then the one with Keith from accounts - 1 "very much so", 2 "sometimes", 3 "dont know" etc.

The complicated processes that occur with lots of companies just reflect the extent to which they've been contaminated with HR nonsense and turned into mini civil services.
Old Dec 11th 2010, 4:20 pm
little snowy owl

Alberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by helcat12
This could be because she is completely incompetent and has appalling man-management. But, not to insult you or your work at all, sometimes bosses do this to try to make people resign. Has she got something against you?
LOL no, I don't think so ... I think she is just completely incompetent and has appalling man-management skills!
Old Dec 11th 2010, 5:38 pm
Island life at last

helcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Alberta_Rose
LOL no, I don't think so ... I think she is just completely incompetent and has appalling man-management skills!
Ha, ha! Right first time, then.
I'm not sure which is worse - vindictive or incompetent.
I find if they are the former, it is easier to be steely about it. If it is the latter, I tend to feel a bit sorry for them
Old Dec 12th 2010, 12:34 am
BE Forum Addict

nldfc has a reputation beyond reputenldfc has a reputation beyond reputenldfc has a reputation beyond reputenldfc has a reputation beyond reputenldfc has a reputation beyond reputenldfc has a reputation beyond reputenldfc has a reputation beyond reputenldfc has a reputation beyond reputenldfc has a reputation beyond reputenldfc has a reputation beyond reputenldfc has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Zoe Bell
I turned my last performance review completely around by telling my bosses the things they needed to do differently in order to do my job more effectively.

It worked except I've managed to streamline my job so much that it is really not a challenge anymore, and quite frankly I'm bored 90% of the time
In large operations thats half the reason for the yearly review - to let them also know where they are going wrong