Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

People who drive at the speed limit in parallel.

Wikiposts

People who drive at the speed limit in parallel.

Old Nov 20th 2012, 9:06 am
Stand-up Philosopher

caretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: People who drive at the speed limit in parallel.

[QUOTE=Hawk13;10392900]+1
Sorry but you're wrong, at least you are out here in BC.

I believe you, I had an instructor who was quite progressive - he took us out in rush hour so we'd get used to being in traffic and get a feel for the space a car occupies. Hint: My driver training car was a 1970 Dodge Challenger with a 383 cu 4 barrel so things may have changed a little.
Old Nov 20th 2012, 9:44 am
Magnificently Withering

Oakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by caretaker

Statistically those accidents which are caused by excessive speed are caused by excessive speed. I've seen it in over 42 years of driving and a tremendous number of miles travelled, read about it in a few different driving courses, and know about it first hand from the accidents and narrow escapes I've had and witnessed. When forced to take evasive action 20 kmh above the posted speed limit a driver has less time to react and needs more distance to try and avoid the danger than someone moving slower. The deer coming out of the ditch 30 yards in front of you or the driver pulling out to pass an oncoming car doesn't care if you're Mario Andretti, and if you're going too fast to avoid the ensuing catastrophic mechanical failure, then you become a statistic.
Which accidents are "caused by excessive speed?" Inappropriate speed, perhaps, coupled with inattention, but speed, in itself, is not dangerous. Defensive driving does not preclude going quickly.

I've also been driving for a number of years (though not quite as many as you) and have driven extensively in North America and Europe. I was taught well; I haven't had any accidents of near-misses at high speed. Closest I suppose I've come was having a tyre disintegrate at about 80mph in fairly dense traffic on the M56 outside Runcorn - that was mind-concentrating but nowhere close to causing an accident.

[frantically touches wood and crosses toes]
Old Nov 20th 2012, 9:57 am
Stand-up Philosopher

caretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond repute

I can identify with that, I've had a couple of tires blow on the highway, once while I was passing a car @ about 70mph and I had to fight the wheel for that one. I have to be careful, I may have used my luck up.
Old Nov 20th 2012, 9:58 am
Up Your Kilt

Hawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Oakvillian
Which accidents are "caused by excessive speed?" Inappropriate speed, perhaps, coupled with inattention, but speed, in itself, is not dangerous. Defensive driving does not preclude going quickly.

I've also been driving for a number of years (though not quite as many as you) and have driven extensively in North America and Europe. I was taught well; I haven't had any accidents of near-misses at high speed. Closest I suppose I've come was having a tyre disintegrate at about 80mph in fairly dense traffic on the M56 outside Runcorn - that was mind-concentrating but nowhere close to causing an accident.

[frantically touches wood and crosses toes]
+1

+1

+1
Old Nov 20th 2012, 10:03 am
Binned by Muderators

JonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond repute

I have been resposible for two insurance claims in my life. In neither case was I driving at more than 10 mph.
Old Nov 20th 2012, 10:38 am
Stand-up Philosopher

Originally Posted by JonboyE
I have been resposible for two insurance claims in my life. In neither case was I driving at more than 10 mph.
Me too. I lied, forgot about the deer! Don't blame me, it's the drink.

Last edited by caretaker; Nov 20th 2012 at 10:41 am.
Old Nov 20th 2012, 11:38 am
Sawdust making harpy

mandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond repute

Me too. I lied, forgot about the deer! Don't blame me, it's the drink.
Thats been my worst one by far too, 80kph (I was actually going slower than the speed limit on a single lane!!) full on no time to brake side impact. You would not believe the mess that thing made of the truck - and vice versa I'll add. That was my own fault for not concentrating, I was lost and was looking at a road sign to my left, then bambi ran out of a brush covered verge on the right and it was game over for both of us.
Old Nov 20th 2012, 12:20 pm
BE Forum Addict

macadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond repute

Any fool can drive fast enough to be dangerous.....
Old Nov 20th 2012, 12:26 pm
Stand-up Philosopher

My friend had one run into the side like that a few years ago and it butched the headlight bezel, quarter-panel, passenger door, cab, and box then ran away. I was right behind him but it was nearly dark and we didn't have a gun anyway so there was no use looking for it. It was sad but not much we could do.
Old Nov 20th 2012, 12:29 pm
Pictou County Superstar™

Greenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond repute

A big suicidal deer jumped out in front of me this morning. Possibly pregnant (or a big fat male).

I was going about 85km/h on a local country lane and, as I've got a lot on my mind at the moment, I was lost in thought, so not in my usual hyper-concentrated driving mode. Before I even started thinking about acting, my right foot had planted the brake pedal to the floor. I heard the ABS activating and the studs scratching the ground and, fortunately, the deer was running both across the road but also a little in the direction I was travelling. I was getting ready to swerve behind him but the car slowed enough that I was able to stay in the lane by the time he'd crossed it.

I did a slight impression of Alan Shearer scoring a goal and said "nice!" in quite an enthusiastic manner. I suppose I was worried about smashing up the car and getting hurt (again) but, at the end of the day, I'm happy for the silly deer.
Old Nov 20th 2012, 12:38 pm
Sawdust making harpy

mandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Greenhill
A big suicidal deer jumped out in front of me this morning. Possibly pregnant (or a big fat male).

I was going about 85km/h on a local country lane and, as I've got a lot on my mind at the moment, I was lost in thought, so not in my usual hyper-concentrated driving mode. Before I even started thinking about acting, my right foot had planted the brake pedal to the floor. I heard the ABS activating and the studs scratching the ground and, fortunately, the deer was running both across the road but also a little in the direction I was travelling. I was getting ready to swerve behind him but the car slowed enough that I was able to stay in the lane by the time he'd crossed it.

I did a slight impression of Alan Shearer scoring a goal and said "nice!" in quite an enthusiastic manner. I suppose I was worried about smashing up the car and getting hurt (again) but, at the end of the day, I'm happy for the silly deer.
Oh blimey Greenhill - your heart certainly doesn't stop beating very fast for a while after thats for sure.

Caretaker - would you have put it out of it's misery had you injured it? I don't know about in SK but I believe that you should call fish and game to report it. (Though I totally get you, you wouldn't want an injured deer running about poor thing - we've done the same with coyotes).

And actually digressing a bit, it's bloody stupid that you have to report an injured deer even though you might have a gun with you. So whats best for the animal? Let it suffer a lingering death and become coyote food, or put it out of it's misery and face being done by the fish feds.

You see lots dead on the sides of roads - but to be honest they are the lucky ones
Old Nov 20th 2012, 12:55 pm
Stand-up Philosopher

Perfect reaction! Swerving right off the bat is chancy because a deer will often turn 180' in the middle and try to go back. Mandy they can go for miles especially if you try to follow them and it was dark; as to the legality, well it was dark. I could put an animal out of it's misery and take the moral high ground and pay the fine without losing any sleep, and if I called a CO and asked him to come out and look for a deer I'd get a big NO. I found one once that someone had hit, and the throat had a little cut (not nearly effective), and there was a cheap chef's knife laying beside it - they tried to do it but couldn't and didn't want the knife back in the car but the deer died anyway. I still have the knife out at the lake. No, if I had a gun with me I'd have no qualms if it was laying there unless it was on a main highway and there was a mounty or CO then then they'd do it. If there was no-one around and I had something, (and I always have a knife and a big hammer in the van), I'd probably kill it.
Old Nov 20th 2012, 4:19 pm
limey party pooper

bats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mandymoochops
Thats been my worst one by far too, 80kph (I was actually going slower than the speed limit on a single lane!!) full on no time to brake side impact. You would not believe the mess that thing made of the truck - and vice versa I'll add. That was my own fault for not concentrating, I was lost and was looking at a road sign to my left, then bambi ran out of a brush covered verge on the right and it was game over for both of us.
I believe you about the mess. I hit a Boston terrier that ran right out in front of me. I had no time to brake, 80kph, and hit the animal. I stopped and walked back praying that the dog was dead rather than injured and suffering. He was, but it was awful. I came over all squeamish and couldn't pick him up to move him to the side of the road. 2 guys in a truck stopped and did that for me. I then had to walk up to the farmhouse and ask if they had a black Boston terrier and that I had run it over. Ugh

The car was almost a write off just from a small dog.
Old Nov 20th 2012, 4:48 pm

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

I'm all in favour of frequent re-testing and medical updates for elderly people. Sometimes it isn't just a fender-bender either, they can stroke out behind the wheel and mow down a crowd of people on the sidewalk!
Most old people have nowhere to go anyway so why give them a licence?
Old Nov 20th 2012, 4:54 pm
Éireann go Brách

Londonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Alan2005
I hope they all get aids. Except they wont, because they are just too boring. But seriously, look in your mirrors and get out of the bloody way.
I drive around Vancouver all day in a Handy Dart. You wouldnt believe what i see.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.