Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

Pension payment - overseas mandate

Pension payment - overseas mandate

Old Nov 13th 2023, 2:15 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute
Default Pension payment - overseas mandate

I don't recall seeing this before.

Having received my small civil service pension and even smaller annuity since 2005, paid into my UK bank but all correspondence from Tax/DWP/CS pension/Scottish Widows coming to me in Canada, I recently asked that both payments be changed to my Canadian bank, sending a void cheque with the necessary account details.

The Civil Service pension payer took a month to tell me I need an oversees mandate (enclosed) and to send that with proof of ID and proof of bank account/address - even though the latter is something I just sent them.

Scottish Widows hasn't said anything yet - although that's a quarterly payment, not monthly.

It seems weird to me. I've been getting it for 18 years with them being happy about my ID and they know my address; they send me pay slips. They are asking for stuff they already have.
I understand there are money laundering issues and other stuff when abroad and money needs to be confirmed as from legitimate sources - I remember having to make statements via secure messages when I transferred money between accounts way back - but I imagine a payer of pensions would count as legitimate.

Anyway, I'm wondering if this is because of the requested change - as bizarre as that seems, or what? Until now I've been transferring the money via Wise - with no difficulty and no legitimising involved.

Side issue - I recently claimed my State Retirement Pension, requesting payments to my Canadian account. I'm wondering if there will be a similar issue. I'll be pretty disappointed given the claiming procedure was different for me living abroad and if this mandate thing really was necessary then it should be included precisely because I am claiming from abroad and not something that crops up as a "by the way" later.
Old Nov 13th 2023, 5:14 pm
Just Joined

British Columbian is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Pension payment - overseas mandate

I applied for and started receiving my UK state pension in 2017, the process of my application by HMRC DWP overseas pensions dept was quick and efficient after, i applied i never had to contact them again. My pension is paid into my Canadian account every 4 weeks (not monthly) in Canadian dollars at a good exchange rate. The only problem i have had is that 2 years ago they forgot to send out "proof of life" forms to thousands of overseas pensioners (me included), I phoned them they emailed me the forms i filled them in sent them back and all was ok, never missed a payment. So hopefully you will have no problems.
Old Nov 13th 2023, 5:28 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by British Columbian
I applied for and started receiving my UK state pension in 2017, the process of my application by HMRC DWP overseas pensions dept was quick and efficient after, i applied i never had to contact them again. My pension is paid into my Canadian account every 4 weeks (not monthly) in Canadian dollars at a good exchange rate. The only problem i have had is that 2 years ago they forgot to send out "proof of life" forms to thousands of overseas pensioners (me included), I phoned them they emailed me the forms i filled them in sent them back and all was ok, never missed a payment. So hopefully you will have no problems.
Thanks for that info. I'm expecting quicker than Canada's OAS process
That proof of life thing crops up from time to time according to past threads.

Did you ever get an answer to your OAS clawback question for partial OAS?
Old Nov 13th 2023, 5:46 pm
Just Joined

British Columbian is an unknown quantity at this point

I phoned CRA and they said they couldn't help me on the phone as it complicated and every case is different and i should write to them. The good thing is the income limit at which Clawback starts has been raised to $90,997 for the income year 2024.

Last edited by British Columbian; Nov 13th 2023 at 5:47 pm. Reason: revised figure
Old Dec 29th 2023, 1:19 pm
Oscar nominated

Originally Posted by BristolUK
I don't recall seeing this before.

Having received my small civil service pension and even smaller annuity since 2005, paid into my UK bank but all correspondence from Tax/DWP/CS pension/Scottish Widows coming to me in Canada, I recently asked that both payments be changed to my Canadian bank, sending a void cheque with the necessary account details.

The Civil Service pension payer took a month to tell me I need an oversees mandate (enclosed) and to send that with proof of ID and proof of bank account/address - even though the latter is something I just sent them.

Scottish Widows hasn't said anything yet - although that's a quarterly payment, not monthly.
(snip)
Scottish Widows just switched it over without a mandate form.