Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

Paying a rental desposit from the UK

Paying a rental desposit from the UK

Old Oct 24th 2009, 7:45 pm
Forum Regular

elizabeth_action has a brilliant futureelizabeth_action has a brilliant futureelizabeth_action has a brilliant futureelizabeth_action has a brilliant futureelizabeth_action has a brilliant futureelizabeth_action has a brilliant futureelizabeth_action has a brilliant future
Default Paying a rental desposit from the UK

Can anyone give us some advice about paying a rental deposit from the UK direct to a landlord in Calgary. We need to book 3 weeks accommodation from where we can get ourselves sorted out. At the moment we have an offer for a place but the LL wants a deposit up front. Any advice
Old Oct 24th 2009, 8:04 pm
BE Enthusiast

Essex_Man is just really niceEssex_Man is just really niceEssex_Man is just really niceEssex_Man is just really niceEssex_Man is just really niceEssex_Man is just really niceEssex_Man is just really niceEssex_Man is just really niceEssex_Man is just really niceEssex_Man is just really niceEssex_Man is just really nice
Default Re: Paying a rental desposit from the UK

How about just driving to a motel and paying your money when you arrive. since you have no faith in this landlord and that he might take the money and run?

http://www.bwalk.com/rental/calgary/default.asp?lng=EN This is legit landlord if your nervous handing over money admittedly you might have to sign and stay for a year. But at least you have less money worries. just a thought.

Last edited by Essex_Man; Oct 24th 2009 at 8:10 pm.
Old Oct 24th 2009, 9:46 pm
Forum Regular

elizabeth_action has a brilliant futureelizabeth_action has a brilliant futureelizabeth_action has a brilliant futureelizabeth_action has a brilliant futureelizabeth_action has a brilliant futureelizabeth_action has a brilliant futureelizabeth_action has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by Essex_Man
How about just driving to a motel and paying your money when you arrive. since you have no faith in this landlord and that he might take the money and run?

http://www.bwalk.com/rental/calgary/default.asp?lng=EN This is legit landlord if your nervous handing over money admittedly you might have to sign and stay for a year. But at least you have less money worries. just a thought.
Wow, thanks. That looks promising. Can you recommend any cheap motels?
Old Oct 24th 2009, 10:04 pm
BE Enthusiast

Essex_Man is just really niceEssex_Man is just really niceEssex_Man is just really niceEssex_Man is just really niceEssex_Man is just really niceEssex_Man is just really niceEssex_Man is just really niceEssex_Man is just really niceEssex_Man is just really niceEssex_Man is just really niceEssex_Man is just really nice

Originally Posted by elizabeth_action
Wow, thanks. That looks promising. Can you recommend any cheap motels?
No. But that is how I got started in Canada. I lived in a nice one in Kingston for 2 months. I had a double. I had little kitchen in the room a bathroom and cable TV and internet TV and 2 double beds. Very basic. It was 40 bucks a night. It was perfect for a temporary fix and flexible for quick move out.

Last edited by Essex_Man; Oct 24th 2009 at 10:06 pm.
Old Oct 24th 2009, 10:07 pm

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute

Can anyone give us some advice about paying a rental deposit from the UK direct to a landlord in Calgary. We need to book 3 weeks accommodation from where we can get ourselves sorted out. At the moment we have an offer for a place but the LL wants a deposit up front. Any advice
Not uncommon to be asked for a deposit. You could also contact Realtors who handle rentals. Doubt you would get a rental for 3 weeks though, most want minimum 6 months and if you get offered one I would be cautious. Depends what part of town you want. Google Suite Motels+Calgary, this will give quite a choice.
Old Oct 24th 2009, 10:13 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Essex_Man
No. But that is how I got started in Canada. I lived in a nice one in Kingston for 2 months. I had a double. I had little kitchen in the room a bathroom and cable TV and internet TV and 2 double beds. Very basic. It was 40 bucks a night. It was perfect for a temporary fix and flexible for quick move out.
Can you remember which chain of motels that was?
Old Oct 24th 2009, 10:43 pm
BE Enthusiast

Can you remember which chain of motels that was?
No, it wasn't a chain and I feel I should point can be more expensive. I prefer the non chain ones, B/C they cheap and you can tell pretty quickly if they are crap and you can take a look at the room before you plonk down any cash. Motels are everywhere some good. some bad. some do weekly and monthly they simple to find. You're have no worries. It's easy.

You could with Boardwalk rent a place online and arrive to Calgary and pick up the keys for the flat and move right in, if want to take a bit of risk.

Last edited by Essex_Man; Oct 24th 2009 at 11:01 pm.
Old Oct 24th 2009, 11:49 pm
BE Enthusiast

justkidding has much to be proud ofjustkidding has much to be proud ofjustkidding has much to be proud ofjustkidding has much to be proud ofjustkidding has much to be proud ofjustkidding has much to be proud ofjustkidding has much to be proud ofjustkidding has much to be proud ofjustkidding has much to be proud ofjustkidding has much to be proud ofjustkidding has much to be proud of

Personally, I would avoid any motels that list their address as Motel Village (Banff Trail NW).

Lots of nice motels with suites around the airport area if that is convenient for you.
Old Oct 25th 2009, 12:04 am
BE Enthusiast

Chookie has a reputation beyond reputeChookie has a reputation beyond reputeChookie has a reputation beyond reputeChookie has a reputation beyond reputeChookie has a reputation beyond reputeChookie has a reputation beyond reputeChookie has a reputation beyond reputeChookie has a reputation beyond reputeChookie has a reputation beyond reputeChookie has a reputation beyond reputeChookie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bgroe
Personally, I would avoid any motels that list their address as Motel Village (Banff Trail NW).

Why do you say that?

When we moved over, we stayed in one of the ones there, and it was OK - and very convenient for the Ctrain to go anywhere before we had sorted out a vehicle.

The one we stayed in was the Econolodge - basic, but OK.
Old Oct 25th 2009, 4:02 am

lancashirebird is an unknown quantity at this point

why not ask the landlord if they are willing to take cash when you land ???
Unless it is a rental that allows vacation stays ????

If that is the case why not ask getting there on here if they have heard of them ???
He works in the calgary area and may know of the place...
or try http://www.bbcanada.com/alberta/calgary_area/calgary

LB
Old Oct 25th 2009, 6:45 am

terese677 is an unknown quantity at this point

i know its not in your area but our landlord accepted the deposit through paypal and we paid the balance when we arrived.
good luck
Old Oct 25th 2009, 3:39 pm
Forum Regular

[QUOTE=Essex_Man;8042386]No, it wasn't a chain and I feel I should point can be more expensive. I prefer the non chain ones,

Can you tell me which one it was for $40 per night please? :huh
Old Oct 26th 2009, 2:51 pm
BE Enthusiast

justkidding has much to be proud ofjustkidding has much to be proud ofjustkidding has much to be proud ofjustkidding has much to be proud ofjustkidding has much to be proud ofjustkidding has much to be proud ofjustkidding has much to be proud ofjustkidding has much to be proud ofjustkidding has much to be proud ofjustkidding has much to be proud ofjustkidding has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Chookie
Why do you say that?

When we moved over, we stayed in one of the ones there, and it was OK - and very convenient for the Ctrain to go anywhere before we had sorted out a vehicle.

The one we stayed in was the Econolodge - basic, but OK.
We have had friends who have stayed there a couple of times for sports tournaments and they have had some bad experiences with disturbances in the middle of the night. Not the kids, either.

Also, a lot of times, when the police are looking for someone involved in recent crimes, they find them at Motel Village I don't know why!
Old Oct 26th 2009, 3:09 pm
Forum Regular

I have to put in a huge mention for our forum buddy 'Getting There'. He has looked into this particular 'landlady' and has found the offer to be a scam. Thanks Eamonn, a 'big up' for you.

Now if I could just find your profile I could give you some karma...
Old Oct 27th 2009, 2:18 pm
G77
BE Forum Addict

G77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond repute

I paid our first/last deposit from the UK with my Canadian cheque book that I got via HSBC - it was a risk, but we went via a realtor that looked reputable.... It worked out in the end!