Password security

Old Apr 1st 2017, 1:03 pm
Dichotomus tinker

not2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Password security

Originally Posted by BristolUK
As a follow on to the recent banking security thread there was a rather interesting article in the guardian on password security.

There was a recommendation to use one of those password managers even though the article included the reference to the one recommended as having been compromised.

Anyone have any thoughts, warnings or tips?
Originally Posted by pdarwin

For the master password, print a list of things that each result in one or two characters of the password that only you can know the answer to. Example, the number of the house you grew up in; the first two letters of the first place you worked; etc. Make it varied so nobody could ever get them all however well they know you.
Originally Posted by Danny B
I use this app on my phone to store all my passwords https://1password.com/features/

To open the vault I use the Apple fingerprint sensor thing, no long complicated password to get into it. Although it is written down somewhere just in case.
I slept on this & have some further thoughts on the problem of security to frequently changing passwords

Since passwords can be hacked or compromised, even the biometric secured (eye & fingerprint readers) I was wondering if anyone has given the thought to changing passwords on a daily basis?

Wouldn't matter if you had one or 10 things that have or need passwords to - KISS principle of 'only one password' for each & everything that you do for that day, change again the next day & every day after that.

My example would be a 8 to 10 letter/word password, include if you want an 'underscore' _

So here is how I would do it

Over to Dollarama, from the toy section purchase a bag of childrens A-Z alphabet letters + a roll of that beige painters masking paper tape.

With all the letters in a bag, each morning at breakfast pick 8 to 10 random letters out of the bag. Line them up in a row, write them on a piece of the 'masking tape', that done, letters go back in the bag till the next day.

Place the tape strip with the letters on it to the waste band of your 'kecks' or on an undergarment. Remains with you for the day.

Change all passwords for all things that you need to do before leaving home.

Next morning repeat, just remember to keep the 'password of the day' strip from the previous day

Last edited by not2old; Apr 1st 2017 at 1:20 pm. Reason: added to the post
Old Apr 1st 2017, 2:24 pm
Nuther day in paradise.ca

magnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond repute

I barely have time to make a brew, brush teeth and pack a lunch never mind reset all my passwords
Old Apr 1st 2017, 2:49 pm
Dichotomus tinker

not2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond repute

Magnumpi, I reckon that you have all the time in the world to change your passwords on your 'smart phone' seeing that you spend most of your working day in your vehicle.

Keeping with the 'password of the day' [an easy one] which could be what you ate for dinner last night, repeating it daily.

sausage&mash

curriedchicken

or simply your favourite food

No worry about remember birth dates, number of the house that you lived at, your first employer.... all which are way too complicated

One password for everything, change it daily, just keep the password close to your body on a strip of tape or whatever

That would be my suggestion

easy right?
Old Apr 1st 2017, 8:42 pm

Alan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by not2old
Change all passwords for all things that you need to do before leaving home.
40 passwords later and it's 4pm and I've missed all my appointments.
Old Apr 1st 2017, 10:31 pm
Dichotomus tinker

Originally Posted by Alan2005
40 passwords later and it's 4pm and I've missed all my appointments.

Old Apr 2nd 2017, 5:04 pm
Yo

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute

I have about 150 registrations on the web. There is definite overlap in my password choice, but probably around 50 unique passwords. They are on a spreadsheet which I update as required. However, lately Google seems to be memorising the user/password details accross all devices. No doubt as a good sheep, I switched this service on at some stage...although TBH it's very helpful.

Keep hearing tech predictions on a post-password paradigm, so hopefully that will be with us sooner rather than later. It does seem very old hat having to type in passwords to access accounts.

Last edited by Shard; Apr 2nd 2017 at 5:07 pm.
Old Apr 3rd 2017, 12:28 am
Dichotomus tinker

Originally Posted by Shard
I have about 150 registrations on the web. There is definite overlap in my password choice, but probably around 50 unique passwords.
How do you sleep at night?
Old Apr 3rd 2017, 2:16 am
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

I have about 150 registrations on the web....
How do you sleep at night?
One of them is a site that plays white noise and things like waves washing over pebbles and it helps you to the land of nod.
Old Apr 3rd 2017, 4:10 pm
BE Forum Addict

Teaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond repute

This may be a bit low-tech for some, but I read one security expert who recommended just writing down your passwords, as there is very little likelihood of crossover between cyber type criminals, and your average burglar.
Old Apr 3rd 2017, 4:56 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Teaandtoday5
This may be a bit low-tech for some, but I read one security expert who recommended just writing down your passwords, as there is very little likelihood of crossover between cyber type criminals, and your average burglar.
That depends on working in a fixed location. I need to access a range of systems from differing locations, sometimes I haven't used them for months. The owners of the systems are not amused if I can't remember my userid or password so I email them to my self, my inbox is full of emails titled the name of a computer, containing the credentials for that computer.
Life was easier when all the systems allowed my standard password but now the systems have slightly different requirements.

I was amused recently when, in the office, we were talking about the price of nearby houses and someone said she was a part time agent and could check them. She signed on to the professional mls using a token generator thing of a type that had been fashionable in the 1990s. I had a pocket full of them, all the same and so labeled with the name of the system to which they applied. Fortunately espionage hadn't been invented back then.
Old Apr 3rd 2017, 5:08 pm
Dichotomus tinker

Originally Posted by Teaandtoday5
if you were to write down a password, where would you store it?

Shard in a post up thread mentioned 150 on line registrations with 50 unique that is kept on a spreadsheet?

Where or how is the spreadsheet stored?
Old Apr 3rd 2017, 6:42 pm
Yo

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute

if you were to write down a password, where would you store it?

Shard in a post up thread mentioned 150 on line registrations with 50 unique that is kept on a spreadsheet?

Where or how is the spreadsheet stored?
Pleading the 5th on that. Let's just say the passwords themselves are only partially represented. Do I need a better system? Yes, absolutely.
Old Apr 3rd 2017, 6:58 pm
Dichotomus tinker

Pleading the 5th on that. Let's just say the passwords themselves are only partially represented. Do I need a better system? Yes, absolutely.
@ my post 26

Back in the mid 90's I was working with a crusty old IBM Engineer & we got talking about files, filing, security & lost information etc.

He smiled & said "I keep everything in my electronic note book" Of course the immediate image was a "laptop device" of some sort.

OK, I said, but I don't see it, where is it?

Out of his briefcase he pulled what looked like a book that turned out to be two 7" x 5" printed circuit boards (no components on them) with four 1.5" rings equally spaced along the 7" length to make it a ring binder that had front & back circuit boards. In between the circuit boards was 50 or so pages of white paper A-Z labelled.

He remarked "Electronic filing sucks", it can get corrupted, lost or compromised.

That was the 'IBM Engineer' safe filing system ... picture size perfect