Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

Which Passport Should We Apply For?

Which Passport Should We Apply For?

Old Oct 19th 2023, 8:34 pm
Done!

engineer80 is a splendid one to beholdengineer80 is a splendid one to beholdengineer80 is a splendid one to beholdengineer80 is a splendid one to beholdengineer80 is a splendid one to beholdengineer80 is a splendid one to beholdengineer80 is a splendid one to beholdengineer80 is a splendid one to beholdengineer80 is a splendid one to beholdengineer80 is a splendid one to beholdengineer80 is a splendid one to behold
Default Which Passport Should We Apply For?

Hi Everyone! It's been a long time (11 years to be exact) since I last posted. We have been living in Canada as PRs for the past 12 years, and are now starting to think about applying for Canadian citizenship. In the meantime, our passports need renewing. My husband has an Italian passport and me and my son have British ones. We since had a daughter in Canada, but my question is, which passport are we better off applying for, for her? For instance, if we got her a Canadian passport for ease of processing, would it cause problems re-entering the UK with the rest of us having British/Italian ones? Thanks in advance for any advice.
Old Oct 19th 2023, 9:18 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Which Passport Should We Apply For?

Originally Posted by engineer80
Hi Everyone! It's been a long time (11 years to be exact) since I last posted. We have been living in Canada as PRs for the past 12 years, and are now starting to think about applying for Canadian citizenship. In the meantime, our passports need renewing. My husband has an Italian passport and me and my son have British ones. We since had a daughter in Canada, but my question is, which passport are we better off applying for, for her? For instance, if we got her a Canadian passport for ease of processing, would it cause problems re-entering the UK with the rest of us having British/Italian ones? Thanks in advance for any advice.
Welcome back! Afraid she’ll need both in time. She has to enter Canada on a Canadian passport now if she’s a citizen, and the U.K. is bringing in the same rule, from next year IIRC.
Old Oct 19th 2023, 9:23 pm
Done!

engineer80 is a splendid one to beholdengineer80 is a splendid one to beholdengineer80 is a splendid one to beholdengineer80 is a splendid one to beholdengineer80 is a splendid one to beholdengineer80 is a splendid one to beholdengineer80 is a splendid one to beholdengineer80 is a splendid one to beholdengineer80 is a splendid one to beholdengineer80 is a splendid one to beholdengineer80 is a splendid one to behold
Talking Re: Which Passport Should We Apply For?

Oh, good to know, thank you so much! So that technically means that once we all have Canadian citizenship, the rest of us will need to do the same too, if we ever go back to the UK for a visit, if I am understanding correctly? And so good to "see" you again, christmasoompa
Old Oct 20th 2023, 5:07 pm
Forum Regular

Kingsboy48 has a reputation beyond reputeKingsboy48 has a reputation beyond reputeKingsboy48 has a reputation beyond reputeKingsboy48 has a reputation beyond reputeKingsboy48 has a reputation beyond reputeKingsboy48 has a reputation beyond reputeKingsboy48 has a reputation beyond reputeKingsboy48 has a reputation beyond reputeKingsboy48 has a reputation beyond reputeKingsboy48 has a reputation beyond reputeKingsboy48 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
Welcome back! Afraid she’ll need both in time. She has to enter Canada on a Canadian passport now if she’s a citizen, and the U.K. is bringing in the same rule, from next year IIRC.
Hi, could you enligthen me as to the meaning of IIRC? Thanks.
Old Oct 20th 2023, 5:24 pm
Resident Maple Leaf Lush

sharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Kingsboy48
Hi, could you enligthen me as to the meaning of IIRC? Thanks.
IIRC = If I Recall Correctly
Old Oct 20th 2023, 5:54 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by engineer80
Oh, good to know, thank you so much! So that technically means that once we all have Canadian citizenship, the rest of us will need to do the same too, if we ever go back to the UK for a visit, if I am understanding correctly? And so good to "see" you again, christmasoompa
Yes, as dual citizens you'll need both passports unfortunately. Basically the UK is introducing the same ETA system as other countries (Canada, the US etc), at the moment it's only for people from a few countries but it's rolling out soon for everyone.

And good to see you too - can't believe it's been that long!
Old Oct 20th 2023, 8:20 pm
BE Forum Addict

CanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
As far as I know the UK doesn't mind if you enter on another passport even if you hold UK Citizenship - https://www.etauk.uk/requirements/

Canada is still visa-exempt so no ETA required yet, but even if it is, there's no requirement to use a UK passport if you are a dual citizen. It just says that "Dual nationals and those with multiple passports must enter the UK with the same document used during the registration process for the Electronic Travel Authorisation. Arriving in Britain with a different passport to the one electronically connected to an ETA will invalidate the visa waiver."
Old Oct 21st 2023, 6:39 pm
BE Forum Addict

printer has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by CanadaJimmy
As far as I know the UK doesn't mind if you enter on another passport even if you hold UK Citizenship - https://www.etauk.uk/requirements/

Canada is still visa-exempt so no ETA required yet, but even if it is, there's no requirement to use a UK passport if you are a dual citizen. It just says that "Dual nationals and those with multiple passports must enter the UK with the same document used during the registration process for the Electronic Travel Authorisation. Arriving in Britain with a different passport to the one electronically connected to an ETA will invalidate the visa waiver."
Yes this would seem sensible as i can't imagine they would expect ex pats to renew a 10 year UK passport just so they can visit once every couple years so long as they have the full Canadian one and any potential visa/visa waiver
Old Oct 22nd 2023, 1:13 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

At the moment, the UK isn't bothered. However, when they introduce the new ETA (or whatever they end up calling it) then non-UK citizens will need to apply for it before entry - similar to the system in Australia and Canada. Although it hasn't yet been stated officially, reading between the lines this will mean UK citizens will almost certainly need a UK passport to enter, as they won't be eligible to apply for an ETA or visa.
Old Oct 22nd 2023, 4:24 am
BE Forum Addict

printer has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pollyana
At the moment, the UK isn't bothered. However, when they introduce the new ETA (or whatever they end up calling it) then non-UK citizens will need to apply for it before entry - similar to the system in Australia and Canada. Although it hasn't yet been stated officially, reading between the lines this will mean UK citizens will almost certainly need a UK passport to enter, as they won't be eligible to apply for an ETA or visa.
But if they hold Canadian citizenship and Canadian passport surely this would allow them to apply for the ETA regardless of the fact they may also be a British citizen. I cannot imagine it would be that complex requiring all dual citizens to hold two passports.
Old Oct 22nd 2023, 12:43 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Originally Posted by printer
But if they hold Canadian citizenship and Canadian passport surely this would allow them to apply for the ETA regardless of the fact they may also be a British citizen. I cannot imagine it would be that complex requiring all dual citizens to hold two passports.
It would be exactly the same as all other countries if it was. Canada requires all Canadian citizens to enter on a Canadian passport, as Canadians aren’t eligible to apply for an ETA. Ditto for the US with the ESTA program etc.

The whole point of the ETA program is to check people coming in to the country before they try to enter i.e. if they’ve got a criminal record, if they’ve been refused entry before etc, to cut down on processing times at airport and the number of people being refused entry and returned on the next flight home. The ETA can’t do that for Brits as they have the right to enter the UK so it does make sense that they won’t be eligible to use it.

Last edited by christmasoompa; Oct 22nd 2023 at 12:50 pm.
Old Oct 22nd 2023, 8:46 pm
limey party pooper

bats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pollyana
technically they aren't bothered but they can give you god awful time at passport control if they chose to . I know because I was there
Old Oct 23rd 2023, 4:37 pm
BE Forum Addict

CanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bats
technically they aren't bothered but they can give you god awful time at passport control if they chose to . I know because I was there
That's pretty unacceptable, what if you were born in the UK but spent your adult life in Canada? They shouldn't give you a hard time because you haven't jumped through all the red tape to get a UK passport. It's a huge hassle with all the guarantor stuff, not to mention the extra cost.

Last time I went through passport control in the UK as a Canadian I had no issues, though I let my wife with her Canadian accent do all the talking and my birth place was never brought up. Maybe just need to learn the accent? lol

Last edited by CanadaJimmy; Oct 23rd 2023 at 4:40 pm.
Old Oct 23rd 2023, 5:09 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

That's pretty unacceptable, what if you were born in the UK but spent your adult life in Canada? They shouldn't give you a hard time because you haven't jumped through all the red tape to get a UK passport.
How do they know you're a UK citizen without one? There won't usually just take your word for it, anybody could say that. They don't know you have the right to enter the country and stay as long as you want if you only have a foreign passport, so can quiz you just as they'd quiz any other foreigner asking to enter the UK.

But that's part of the reason an ETA type system works, it makes it easier for those who should be allowed to enter, and harder for those who shouldn't.
Old Oct 24th 2023, 9:13 am

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

That's pretty unacceptable, what if you were born in the UK but spent your adult life in Canada? They shouldn't give you a hard time because you haven't jumped through all the red tape to get a UK passport. It's a huge hassle with all the guarantor stuff, not to mention the extra cost.

Last time I went through passport control in the UK as a Canadian I had no issues, though I let my wife with her Canadian accent do all the talking and my birth place was never brought up. Maybe just need to learn the accent? lol
If you’re only visiting and you don’t mind being treated as a Canadian citizen then you’re unlikely to have an issue. If you tell the immigration officer you’re intending to stay or work then you’ll have issues.

On the ETA issue, the Home Office recommend applying for a British passport as British citizens are not subject to immigration control, however they have conceded that there is no legal or practical way to prevent dual nationals applying for an ETA in their non-British passport in order to travel to the UK.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.