Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

Pass the Cheeze Whiz, Wonder Bread and Remote Control!

Pass the Cheeze Whiz, Wonder Bread and Remote Control!

Old Oct 8th 2006, 12:20 pm

hot wasabi peas is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Pass the Cheeze Whiz, Wonder Bread and Remote Control!

It's looking like a dangerous exercise to be a healthfood nut (as I am).

Carrot juice linked with Toronto illnesses

Toronto Public Health believes two people became seriously ill after drinking carrot juice from a U.S. company.

Botulism is suspected, Dr. Elizabeth Rae, Toronto's associate medical officer of health, said Saturday..... http://www.cbc.ca/canada/story/2006/...sm-carrot.html

and

3rd death linked to tainted spinach in U.S.

A third death linked to spinach tainted with a potentially deadly strain of E. coli has been confirmed in the United States, Nebraska health officials said Friday....... http://www.cbc.ca/consumer/story/200...7/spinach.html

And!

I went to a gym the other day and I just know that's where I caught my newest cold....

dammit!
Old Oct 8th 2006, 12:33 pm
End of the line

IceMaiden is a glorious beacon of lightIceMaiden is a glorious beacon of lightIceMaiden is a glorious beacon of lightIceMaiden is a glorious beacon of lightIceMaiden is a glorious beacon of lightIceMaiden is a glorious beacon of lightIceMaiden is a glorious beacon of lightIceMaiden is a glorious beacon of lightIceMaiden is a glorious beacon of lightIceMaiden is a glorious beacon of lightIceMaiden is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Pass the Cheeze Whiz, Wonder Bread and Remote Control!

Originally Posted by hot wasabi peas
It's looking like a dangerous exercise to be a healthfood nut (as I am).

Carrot juice linked with Toronto illnesses

Toronto Public Health believes two people became seriously ill after drinking carrot juice from a U.S. company.

Botulism is suspected, Dr. Elizabeth Rae, Toronto's associate medical officer of health, said Saturday..... http://www.cbc.ca/canada/story/2006/...sm-carrot.html

and

3rd death linked to tainted spinach in U.S.

A third death linked to spinach tainted with a potentially deadly strain of E. coli has been confirmed in the United States, Nebraska health officials said Friday....... http://www.cbc.ca/consumer/story/200...7/spinach.html

And!

I went to a gym the other day and I just know that's where I caught my newest cold....

dammit!
See I always knew all this healthy living and exercise was bad for you.

I'll stay fat and unhealthy thank you.
Old Oct 8th 2006, 12:48 pm

Originally Posted by IceMaiden
See I always knew all this healthy living and exercise was bad for you.
Yeah, I have a T-shirt that I like to wear to the gym:

'Eat healthy, exercise regularily.... die anyway'
Old Oct 8th 2006, 7:02 pm
Islander

windward is a name known to allwindward is a name known to allwindward is a name known to allwindward is a name known to allwindward is a name known to allwindward is a name known to allwindward is a name known to allwindward is a name known to allwindward is a name known to allwindward is a name known to allwindward is a name known to all

Yeah, I have a T-shirt that I like to wear to the gym:

'Eat healthy, exercise regularily.... die anyway'
Ah irony. Delicious =)

Rice is off the menu over here atm. GM contaminated grains made it over from the US (surprise surprise) and they've just let us know despite being aware of it since the beginning of 2006 (you could even start to get cynical about these things.)
Old Oct 9th 2006, 11:11 am

oh ffs!

E. coli fears spark lettuce recall by U.S. firm

Less than a week after the U.S. Food and Drug Administration lifted its warning on fresh spinach grown in California's Salinas Valley, a popular brand of lettuce grown there has been recalled over concerns about E. coli contamination..... http://www.cbc.ca/consumer/story/200...e-warning.html
Old Oct 9th 2006, 11:13 am

Originally Posted by windward
Ah irony. Delicious =)

Rice is off the menu over here atm. GM contaminated grains made it over from the US (surprise surprise) and they've just let us know despite being aware of it since the beginning of 2006 (you could even start to get cynical about these things.)
Oh c'mon windward! Embrace GM! Think of all the fun things you can do when a third arm grows out from your ribs.
Old Oct 9th 2006, 4:46 pm
Islander

windward is a name known to allwindward is a name known to allwindward is a name known to allwindward is a name known to allwindward is a name known to allwindward is a name known to allwindward is a name known to allwindward is a name known to allwindward is a name known to allwindward is a name known to allwindward is a name known to all

Oh c'mon windward! Embrace GM! Think of all the fun things you can do when a third arm grows out from your ribs.
.lol. It's you lot that should be worried about extra limbs by the sounds of things. Keep you entertained while your guts are being ravaged by all these vegetable-borne diseases at least!

Do Canucks ever drink imported milk btw? The EU banned growth hormones in cows a while back but the US still uses them afaik. I'd keep away if I were you and take some bottled when you cross the border
Old Oct 10th 2006, 1:50 pm

.lol. It's you lot that should be worried about extra limbs by the sounds of things. Keep you entertained while your guts are being ravaged by all these vegetable-borne diseases at least!

Do Canucks ever drink imported milk btw? The EU banned growth hormones in cows a while back but the US still uses them afaik. I'd keep away if I were you and take some bottled when you cross the border
I was not sure about imported milk. I don't drink milk so I've never paid attention. So I swoosh over to wikipedia...

"Since November 1993, with FDA approval, Monsanto has been selling recombinant bovine somatotropin (rbST)--or rBGH--to dairy farmers. Bovine growth hormone is administered to cattle in order to increase their milk production, though the hormone also naturally fosters liver production of insulin-like growth factor 1 (IGF1). The deposit, thereof, in the milk of rBGH-affected cattle has been the source of concern, however all milk contains IGF1. The IGF1 in milk from rBGH-affected cattle does not vary from the range normally found in a non-supplemented cow. Elevated levels of IGF1 in human blood has been linked to increased rates of breast, colon, and prostate cancer by stimulating their growth [10] [11], though this has not been linked to milk consumption. The EU has recommended against Monsanto milk.[12] In addition, the cows frequently contract an udder infection known as mastitis, partly responsible for the aforementioned prevalence of blood cells in dairy products [13]. Milk from rBGH-affected cattle is banned in Canada, Australia, New Zealand, and Japan due to the mastitis problems. On June 9, 2006 the largest milk processor in the world and the two largest supermarkets in the United States--Dean Foods, Wal-Mart, and Kroger--announced that they are "on a nationwide search for rBGH-free milk [1]." [ http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Milk ]

There's probably a lot more to the milk issue but reading about milk just grosses me out. I like to think of my breasts as sources of pleasure not production sites of "the nutrient fluid produced by the mammary glands of female mammals (including monotremes)." But the above quote has convinced me to just stick to coffee and booze when travelling.
Old Oct 10th 2006, 2:04 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

I was not sure about imported milk. I don't drink milk so I've never paid attention. So I swoosh over to wikipedia...

"Since November 1993, with FDA approval, Monsanto has been selling recombinant bovine somatotropin (rbST)--or rBGH--to dairy farmers. Bovine growth hormone is administered to cattle in order to increase their milk production, though the hormone also naturally fosters liver production of insulin-like growth factor 1 (IGF1). The deposit, thereof, in the milk of rBGH-affected cattle has been the source of concern, however all milk contains IGF1. The IGF1 in milk from rBGH-affected cattle does not vary from the range normally found in a non-supplemented cow. Elevated levels of IGF1 in human blood has been linked to increased rates of breast, colon, and prostate cancer by stimulating their growth [10] [11], though this has not been linked to milk consumption. The EU has recommended against Monsanto milk.[12] In addition, the cows frequently contract an udder infection known as mastitis, partly responsible for the aforementioned prevalence of blood cells in dairy products [13]. Milk from rBGH-affected cattle is banned in Canada, Australia, New Zealand, and Japan due to the mastitis problems. On June 9, 2006 the largest milk processor in the world and the two largest supermarkets in the United States--Dean Foods, Wal-Mart, and Kroger--announced that they are "on a nationwide search for rBGH-free milk [1]." [ http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Milk ]

There's probably a lot more to the milk issue but reading about milk just grosses me out. I like to think of my breasts as sources of pleasure not production sites of "the nutrient fluid produced by the mammary glands of female mammals (including monotremes)." But the above quote has convinced me to just stick to coffee and booze when travelling.
My "ex", who is keen on healthy food, won't touch milk from Canadian stores. Instead she bought a share in a herd of cows, a big enough percentage that legally she owns the means of production of the milk she consumes. This allows her to get milk directly from the organic farm bypassing the regulations. People do the same if they want actual free range eggs, it's illegal to sell them in Ontario so you buy a share in a flock of chickens and collect your own eggs from the farm.
Old Oct 11th 2006, 8:41 pm
Islander

... Hmm yes. Only the extremely young or the extremely twisted would challenge your breast standpoint. Not a bad idea to keep away from the milk either... I'll see your E-coli contamination and raise you one Bovine TB outbreak :

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/help/3662494.stm

My "ex", who is keen on healthy food, won't touch milk from Canadian stores. Instead she bought a share in a herd of cows, a big enough percentage that legally she owns the means of production of the milk she consumes. This allows her to get milk directly from the organic farm bypassing the regulations. People do the same if they want actual free range eggs, it's illegal to sell them in Ontario so you buy a share in a flock of chickens and collect your own eggs from the farm.
Hard to imagine eggs being contraband somehow But a really good idea imho, the law aside even. Beats keeping one of those hopelessly middle-class 'Eggloo's' in your back garden and fishing around for them yourself.
Old Oct 11th 2006, 9:26 pm
BE Forum Addict

Calgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond repute

One of the things that really ticks me off about Canada, is the amount of GMO stuff in our food, and that we don't even get to choose - as it doesn't have to be labelled as such!! 95% of Canadians wanted mandatory labelling, but the govt threw it out!

You're right, the Americans are drinking BGH milk! Fortunately Canada did ban BGH in milk not so long ago, there was a push for BGH, and it was close! I breathed a sigh of relief because if they allowed it I would be forced to buy organic (which I would prefer anyway), but at four times the price and 20-30 pints per week, I couldn't possibly afford it!

BSE is still a serious threat here, too. Despite what they would like us to believe; and just one of the reasons I buy organic meat (it taste's SO much better anywayl).
Old Oct 12th 2006, 2:44 am

... Hmm yes. Only the extremely young or the extremely twisted would challenge your breast standpoint.
On that extremely twisted note... I and the owner of the local village deli from where I lived in England constantly tried to outgross one another on a near daily basis by recounting personal experiences, anecdotes from friends or just reguritating crap off the internet. He won one day when he mention that he had found a website dedicated to a fetish of eating cheese made from women's breast milk. We instantly starting renaming all the cheeses in his display case: parmesan --> Pamesan, Emmental --> Emmaental, Dubliner --> Debliner, Roquefort --> Ro... oh, you get the picture. I already miss that/him!

Bovine TB! :scared: It wasn't me!

Last edited by hot wasabi peas; Oct 12th 2006 at 2:48 am.
Old Oct 12th 2006, 10:27 pm
Part Time Poster

MikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond repute

Forget about GM food...

try this stat'

Organic food is eaten by about 1% of the North American population...

but its responsible for about 8% of the food poisoning in North America

Old Oct 13th 2006, 11:02 pm
Islander

Originally Posted by MikeUK
Forget about GM food...

try this stat'

Organic food is eaten by about 1% of the North American population...

but its responsible for about 8% of the food poisoning in North America

Propaganda straight from the PR depts of Mars and Kraft surely?!
Old Oct 13th 2006, 11:11 pm

Steve_P is an unknown quantity at this point

Propaganda straight from the PR depts of Mars and Kraft surely?!
Not so sure about that given the recent problems over here with Spinach, Carrot Juice and Lettuce.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.