Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

Owning property in Florida

Owning property in Florida

Old Sep 28th 2011, 2:50 am
Grumpy Know-it-all

Steve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Owning property in Florida

Are there even any car dealers there? I only ever really looked into moving to Grand Bahama. NPI is where most of the people are but it has a lot of crime. Plus Grand Bahama has the FTZ which gets you out of a lot of their taxes.
Old Sep 28th 2011, 4:19 am
Meh

GavinR has much to be proud ofGavinR has much to be proud ofGavinR has much to be proud ofGavinR has much to be proud ofGavinR has much to be proud ofGavinR has much to be proud ofGavinR has much to be proud ofGavinR has much to be proud ofGavinR has much to be proud ofGavinR has much to be proud ofGavinR has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Steve_
Are there even any car dealers there? I only ever really looked into moving to Grand Bahama. NPI is where most of the people are but it has a lot of crime. Plus Grand Bahama has the FTZ which gets you out of a lot of their taxes.
Exuma has bugger all. Nassau has a good many and some of the major dealerships, Ford, LandRover etc. As you say the crime rates are pretty high in Nassau. Exuma has very low crime rates, probably because everyone knows each other.
Old Sep 28th 2011, 5:03 am
Grumpy Know-it-all

Steve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond repute

I noticed that about 80% of the cars seem to be LHD, although you do see some Japanese-made cars that are RHD.

Bit of a difficult decision with cars living on a small island. I spent some time on the Isle of Man and I thought it would be no big deal because it's so small but the reality is that it's half the size of the West Mids with a population of 70,000, so if the bus doesn't get you there you've got problems.

Something small, super reliable that is economical I would say. You aren't going to be driving fast or for long distances, that's for sure!
Old Dec 7th 2011, 6:24 am
Grumpy Know-it-all

I've just recently discovered that if you're naturalized in the USVI you are exempt from US estate tax, by the way, which might be of interest to anyone thinking of moving to the US permanently.
Old Feb 2nd 2012, 6:17 am
Grumpy Know-it-all

Just wanted to update this to mention some new information - as of 2013, most types of US investment income, including capital gains, will be subject to a Medicare tax of 3.8%, if you have over $200k (as an individual) or $250k (joint) of US-source income.

Not a problem you're likely to have, but I thought it was worth mentioning.