Oven cleaner

Old Oct 18th 2011, 2:50 pm
Forum Regular

HPJOS is a name known to allHPJOS is a name known to allHPJOS is a name known to allHPJOS is a name known to allHPJOS is a name known to allHPJOS is a name known to allHPJOS is a name known to allHPJOS is a name known to allHPJOS is a name known to allHPJOS is a name known to allHPJOS is a name known to all
Default Oven cleaner

Hi there,

Is anyone able to recommend a decent oven cleaning product here in Canada? Back in the UK I used to get it frrom Lakeland Ltd, fantastic stuff, apply, wait and wipe off & Bob's your Auntie. Now my oven has a self cleaning funcion, apart from stinking out the house when you switch it on it never gets the gunk off the glass door.

Many thanks,

Helen
Old Oct 18th 2011, 2:53 pm

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Oven cleaner

We got some stuff called Easy Off. Seems to work okay.
Old Oct 18th 2011, 3:27 pm
BE Enthusiast

Chookie has a reputation beyond reputeChookie has a reputation beyond reputeChookie has a reputation beyond reputeChookie has a reputation beyond reputeChookie has a reputation beyond reputeChookie has a reputation beyond reputeChookie has a reputation beyond reputeChookie has a reputation beyond reputeChookie has a reputation beyond reputeChookie has a reputation beyond reputeChookie has a reputation beyond repute

According to the instructions on my self-cleaning oven, you shouldn't use oven cleaner on it because it will do something "horrible" to the oven...

As far as the gunk on the door goes, I use one of those metal scraper things that you get paint off window glass when you mess up painting the window-frames....

That and then a good wipe down with soapy water seems to do the trick for me.
Old Oct 18th 2011, 3:38 pm
ModerĪ±tor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

There are two types of self cleaning over IIRC.

One type (generally smooth) uses high heat, the other has a special catalyst surface (generally rough). You need to be a bit careful about what you use on the later, but they are not that common any more AFAIK.

We never use the self clean function on ours anyway, its usually quicker and less smelly to clean up as you go along with the Easy off/ no name stuff in the spray can. We use that to keep the window on the wood stove clean too.
Old Oct 18th 2011, 3:42 pm

Lorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Chookie
According to the instructions on my self-cleaning oven, you shouldn't use oven cleaner on it because it will do something "horrible" to the oven...

As far as the gunk on the door goes, I use one of those metal scraper things that you get paint off window glass when you mess up painting the window-frames....

That and then a good wipe down with soapy water seems to do the trick for me.
Funny you should say that.

Just the other day I watched "How Clean Is Your House" because I haven't seen it on tv here before. (Disgusting stinky filthy house)

Anyway - this woman had not cleaned or even wiped her oven for 15 years.
The cleaning experts made up a mixture of bicarbonate of soda and some washing up liquid - smeared the paste over the glass and left to soak in for about 10 mins. Then they used a sponge to wipe off the grease and a fancy ceramic hob scraper for the stubborn stuff.

I decided to give mine a go. I don't have a hob scraper so I gently used a wallpaper scraper instead on a few burnt on marks and the whole thing looks like new
Old Oct 18th 2011, 3:55 pm
Forum Regular

HPJOS is a name known to allHPJOS is a name known to allHPJOS is a name known to allHPJOS is a name known to allHPJOS is a name known to allHPJOS is a name known to allHPJOS is a name known to allHPJOS is a name known to allHPJOS is a name known to allHPJOS is a name known to allHPJOS is a name known to all

Thank you for these suggestions - looking forward to a clean oven door!

Helen
Old Oct 18th 2011, 5:16 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Almost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond repute

Wouldn't something like Oxi-clean or similar product work. I've seen the commercials, they can clean anything