Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

Outraged Facebook users....really??

Outraged Facebook users....really??

Old Mar 22nd 2018, 12:30 pm
limey party pooper

bats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Outraged Facebook users....really??

Who is Geirge Ezra?
Old Mar 22nd 2018, 12:41 pm
Slob

Souvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbd33
LinkedIn may have the more honest business model but it has the least realistic descriptions and photographs. pof certainly offers more accurate descriptions of real world experience. I imagine grindr has less carefully orchestrated photographs.

The entertainment value of facebook depends, for me, on the tracking of data. It's an application for people of middle age or greater which means it presents as "friend" candidates people one once knew. It's amusing to see someone half forgotten from high school and to see them flouting their younger partner or flashy car. It's less amusing but interesting nonetheless to know who has died or joined the tories. This sort of connection can only be made if all involved supply some basic information.

A risk of not supplying information is that, when people google you, it may be that nothing turns up. That's going to look odd if the person googling is a prospective employer. I don't suggest structuring every post as if at interview but it might be as well not show one's self in the company of the facially tattooed or Chelsea supporters (assuming there are Chelsea supporters somewhere who don't have swastika tats on their foreheads).
LinkedIn is also a good way of giving away your personal details. I've been getting calls from an obviously dodgy expat pension advisor in the UK. They can only really have tracked me down via my LinkedIn profile and a quick look at Canada 411.

I'm not hard to find if you know my surname and approximately where I live.
Old Mar 22nd 2018, 12:55 pm
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bats
Who is Geirge Ezra?
A young British Singer/Songwriter.
Old Mar 22nd 2018, 1:38 pm
limey party pooper

bats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by moneypenny20
A young British Singer/Songwriter.
Ah, I suppose not knowing that puts me in the old fogey bracket.
Old Mar 22nd 2018, 3:22 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Shard
I've posted this curiosity on BE before, and nobody actually responded. So, guys I "need some human help with this" Does anyone receive similar messages from Google (Google Maps I think)
Never seen anything like it.
Old Mar 22nd 2018, 3:39 pm
BE Forum Addict

Teaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bats
Ah, I suppose not knowing that puts me in the old fogey bracket.
Only if knowing means I'm out of the old fogey bracket? Cos i've been in there since before I left high school , and I'd love a shot at being cool/trendy/whatever they call it nowadays...

(Before anyone points it out, I am aware that using the word 'nowadays' puts me straight back in the old fogey bracket )
Old Mar 22nd 2018, 9:17 pm
BE Forum Addict

Paul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Partially discharged
I hear you. To comment on a online news storey in the Ottawa Citizen newspaper you have to sign in with your FB account.

When our oldest daughter was about 13 years old FB got popular and comments on FB between classmates get very caustic and nasty and then parents got involved and of course denied that their precious cupcake was involved in any of the nastiness. Our daughter blocked the main culprit in it who was the nastiest to our daughter and then that teenage girl called our house wondering why our daughter had blocked her and then I ran into her mother at the supermarket and she got quite heated with me at the supermarket asking me why our daughter had blocked here daughter. I lost it with the mother and told her FB was the biggest waste of time on the internet and that it was people like her who were so pro FB that made me decide to never get an account and that she should read her previous daughters postings from start to finish.

Too much drama for too little positive outcome.
I can totally see your point..... this is my other reason for disliking social media....people tend to say too much in a post, forgetting how many people they are actually saying it to, which starts an argument and quickly turns in to personal insults, and causes a lot of needless trouble. Many people act differently behind a computer screen...we have even seen how certain posters on good old BE can get too personal! facebook is a catalyst for such showdowns, its something that would never happen in a "face to face" conversation, those type of people arn't that "brave" in the real world!

In your previous post you mentioned linkedin....I have a linkedin account, I set one up for no other reason than being advised to do so by my employment counsellor, they said it would aid me in job searching and also so I could be seen by potential employers. I am not sure it has been particulary helpful, but at least employers will find something if they search my name now, and maybe recruiters will find me that way too, before this they wouldn't have found anything about me online, and I was told that that could be just as negative as an employer finding distasteful posts/pictures on something such as facebook! I found this very strange. It's almost as though everyone is expected to have an online presence now....and your personal choice of choosing to be private has taken a back seat!
Old Mar 22nd 2018, 10:44 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

I have a linkedin but it really serves no purpose for me. I dont even remember my password at this point...
Old Mar 22nd 2018, 11:32 pm
Yo

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BristolUK
Never seen anything like it.
Maybe it's a Google UK thing, or maybe I have some setting on which allows them to nudge me for more info. Just can't think why it would be useful to them though.
Old Mar 23rd 2018, 1:30 am
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Paul_Shepherd
I can totally see your point..... this is my other reason for disliking social media....people tend to say too much in a post, forgetting how many people they are actually saying it to, which starts an argument and quickly turns in to personal insults, and causes a lot of needless trouble. Many people act differently behind a computer screen...we have even seen how certain posters on good old BE can get too personal! facebook is a catalyst for such showdowns, its something that would never happen in a "face to face" conversation, those type of people arn't that "brave" in the real world!
I disagree with this. My social media and real worlds have been one and the same for the past couple of decades. I've met people in real life and added them to facebook and/or the ex-GU death pool and I've met people in the internet and taken them to live with for years and, in one case, marry. I don't find people to be much different in what they post versus what they say in the pub. I do concede that it's easier to become intolerant in social media, for example, in real life, I can go along chatting happily with someone who misuses "beg the question" whereas, in a written form, it makes me all stabby.
Old Mar 23rd 2018, 3:10 pm
limey party pooper

I've been disappointed in people I've met online but no more so than ones I've met in real life. I met my husband online and he's still lovely.
Old Mar 23rd 2018, 3:35 pm
BE Forum Addict

Partially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Danny B

I joined up on Reddit and subscribe to things I want to read about.
This subreddit is always good for a laugh

https://www.reddit.com/r/britishproblems/

or this to laugh at the pretentiousness of some restaurants

https://www.reddit.com/r/WeWantPlates/
Old Mar 23rd 2018, 3:35 pm
Slightly Canadian

Atlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Souvy
LinkedIn is also a good way of giving away your personal details. I've been getting calls from an obviously dodgy expat pension advisor in the UK. They can only really have tracked me down via my LinkedIn profile and a quick look at Canada 411.

I'm not hard to find if you know my surname and approximately where I live.
I get the same. It's pretty straightforward to track me down once you've located me on Linked In. An unusual surname makes that rather unavoidable. I politely tell them to f*** off.
Old Mar 23rd 2018, 3:47 pm
BE Forum Addict

Partially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Atlantic Xpat
I get the same. It's pretty straightforward to track me down once you've located me on Linked In. An unusual surname makes that rather unavoidable. I politely tell them to f*** off.
Re: Linkedin.

I got a friend request from a rather attractive looking lady who is in the same field as me from Northern Ireland.

I accepted the request. The next think I know she is no longer a person in my direct field from County Armagh or London (she moved a lot) but a shill for a petrochemical company in China. I noticed that once I accepted my friend request other work colleagues of mine that are on Linkedin accepted her friend request.

I'm not sure about Linkedin. I don't FB, Twitter etc but got a Linkedin account as it was the way to apply for a job (which I'm glad I never got ) but people do post some trivial stuff and I really don't care about the birthday of a middle age business contact I have only met a couple of times.

The messages are below.

My Final Message

Hello Christina.. I can't tell if you are an town and country planning consultant based in County Armagh, NI or London or own your own Design Firm..or now you are a shill for a Petrochemical company based in China. Which is it?

Before yesterday, I had not had any contact with you but your town and country planning and design background seemed intriguing. I now see that you have made contact with other people in my field.

I have no real idea what it means to be a Collection Officer for the SHPC Group of Companies.

Her final message

On 8/12/15, 12:59 AM, Christina Furlong wrote:
--------------------
Good Morning ,

I am pleased that you accepted my connection, Let me start by introducing myself, I am Christina Furlong the Advertising Manager for SHPC Group of Companies Limited, I started working part time with SHPC until I became a full time staff with them, salary and compensation has been really worth it. Anyway SHPC [ Shandong Hengyuan Petrochemical Group of Companies ] is searching for competent individuals or companies to partner with to serve as Representatives / Collection Officers between SHPC and its clients in the United States and Canada, while going through some profiles on LinkedIn yours got my attention and decided to drop you a message to know if it sparks your interest to work with us. Be informed also that you do not need to quit your current job neither do you need experience in this field to work with SHPC as a representative. Please let me know if you’d be interested in entertaining the idea of taking on this position in part time and also signify your interest by writing our Recruitment Officer Mr. Chang Donghai a message on - [email protected] for more information.

Your timely response to this message would be highly appreciated.

Thanks for your time.
Best Regards

My 2nd to last message to her. One minute she is Christine Furlong and before that she is Patricia Russel

How did you find me and why does your Linkedin profile picture match that of Patricia Russel?

https://plus.google.com/103484327229034539339/posts

Yesterday you had 306 Linkedin connections and now only 300. I think people are removing you from their network.

Her 2nd to last message after I accepted her friend request

On 8/12/15, 8:14 AM, Christina Furlong wrote:
--------------------
Good Morning

How are you doing this wonderful morning, thanks for your response. Well if you must know you do not need any skills to be a collection officer for SHPC and its not a stressful job, so do get in touch with our Recruitment Officer Mr. Chang Donghai on - [ E-mail - [email protected] ] and when you get in touch with him, he would provide you with all the details you need. As you know I am the Advertising Manager for Shandong Hengyuan Petrochemical Group of Companies ( SHPC ) and my job is to oversee the advertising activities of this company and reach out to individuals and companies interested in working with us.

Best Regards,
Christina
Old Mar 23rd 2018, 4:02 pm
BE Forum Addict

Paul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbd33
I disagree with this. My social media and real worlds have been one and the same for the past couple of decades. I've met people in real life and added them to facebook and/or the ex-GU death pool and I've met people in the internet and taken them to live with for years and, in one case, marry. I don't find people to be much different in what they post versus what they say in the pub. I do concede that it's easier to become intolerant in social media, for example, in real life, I can go along chatting happily with someone who misuses "beg the question" whereas, in a written form, it makes me all stabby.
Well it does beg the quest..... only joking! I guess we all have our own experiences, and it makes it somewhat subjective. I am going on experiences that I have seen first hand, and also the way I like to interact as an individual, we are all different, I am sure you and many others have had positive experiences from social media.....you met your wife!

I just dislike the whole concept of it, I have met people in real life who seemed like lovely people, then they just turn when they get behind a computer screen. I also dislike the lack of privacy, its obvious many people don't realise that whatever you post online is there forever, and forever is along time, a person can change considerably over their lifetime, but that post or that picture will always be there as a judgment of them, then there is the information you thought was private but is not......I don't think anything online is private and it never will be.