Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

Ontario: Man who didn't father twins must pay child support

Ontario: Man who didn't father twins must pay child support

Old Jan 12th 2009, 8:19 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Ontario: Man who didn't father twins must pay child support

Originally Posted by Novocastrian
Look at the link in AC's post. It doesn't increase linearly with the number of kids.
Looks to be at least 50% extra for two kids....so on DBD's reckoning (the post I responded to) that would be at least $1500 or at least $18000 a year - (still) more than the four of us.

I (still) wonder what they're going without.
Old Jan 12th 2009, 9:52 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BristolUK
Looks to be at least 50% extra for two kids....so on DBD's reckoning (the post I responded to) that would be at least $1500 or at least $18000 a year - (still) more than the four of us.

I (still) wonder what they're going without.
You've told us before that you don't value education so that's a considerable saving. Do your children perhaps have "English teeth"?

Also, how often do they go home? I think if we raise our children in the wilderness we owe it to them to ship them to Europe at least once a year.

Last edited by dbd33; Jan 12th 2009 at 10:00 pm.
Old Jan 12th 2009, 10:06 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbd33
You've told us before that you don't value education so that's a considerable saving. Do your children perhaps have "English teeth"?

Also, how often do they go home? I think if we raise our children in the wilderness we owe it to them to ship them to Europe at least once a year.

Actually, what I said some months ago - when you listed University costs as a necessity - was that I didn't realise going to university was compulsory.

The kids are my step kids and they are Canadian...as are their teeth.
Old Jan 12th 2009, 10:09 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BristolUK
The kids are my step kids and they are Canadian...as are their teeth.
What about the dentist then, that must cost a bundle.

My overall point though isn't that children funded at less than a grand a month are necessarily suffering but that for someone making better than a hundred grand to pay only that in child support is, at the very least, ungenerous.
Old Jan 12th 2009, 10:29 pm
Oscar nominated

What about the dentist then, that must cost a bundle.

My overall point though isn't that children funded at less than a grand a month are necessarily suffering but that for someone making better than a hundred grand to pay only that in child support is, at the very least, ungenerous.
That's a fair point. But I was only commenting on your assertion that a child costs at least $1000 a month to keep (regardless of anybody's income).

Dental costs are high, yes. But only problematic since the child tax benefit was cut for the 18 year old still at school.
Old Jan 12th 2009, 10:48 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Almost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, I think a child costs more than a thousand dollars a month to keep in food, clothes, tuition, books, sports, furniture, appliances and so on. I don't see that "special expenses" should be excluded since the custodial spouse is not going to be able to collect additional funds for these from the absent one. The dentist can, of course, easily consume $1,000 in a month.
Any such expenses are deemed to be "special" irrespective of how you feel about it. The figures are what the Government states a child requires to be able to live a "normal" life. Sports, tuition (higher education) are special expenses. I have never known a child pine for appliances and you appear to be forgetting that such items would have been dealt with as part of the divorce settlement. These figures are not about "capital costs" but are about food, clothing, regular schooling etc.

Further, 10% of one's gross income is an inappropriately trivial proportion to commit to the support of a person one has created and who's wellbeing should be the central concern of one's life.
I have 3 children, combined they do not costs anything like the figures I would have to pay for them if I was subjected to the Guidelines. They ride horses, ski, swim, and live as all of their classmates do. I am not arguing that there may be a moral argument for the higher earning spouse to contribute more, I am just arguing that the figures are not as derisory as you have suggested.
Old Jan 12th 2009, 11:08 pm
Assimilated Pauper

Originally Posted by Almost Canadian
I have never known a child pine for appliances and you appear to be forgetting that such items would have been dealt with as part of the divorce settlement.
Watch out for the arrival of the Ipod and the Sony Play Station, they'll reach you eventually. When they do take note that they, like computers, require periodic upgrading, I suppose if one divorces biannually then settlements may cover them but I was thinking of the children of a single divorce.
Old Jan 13th 2009, 2:10 am
Cynically amused.

dingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond repute

I don't agree with this part of your post at all. When I first checked out the levels of child support according to the Federal Child Support Guidelines here:
http://www.justice.gc.ca/eng/pi/sup-pen/grl/pdftab.html
I was amazed. Don't forget, these figures are for child support only, not alimony, not "carving up the matrimonial assets". If one parent refuses to pay, whilst that makes a difference to the recipient, it doesn't alter the fact that the amounts, in my opinion, are more than appropriate.
I don't get alimony, never have. I got no matrimonial assets either...lol...after twenty odd years too, all I was left was his debts. Try the Guidelines for four children, on a falsely reduced offset income of less than $50,000. That figure is insulting, given the standard of living comparison between his household and mine, so I stand by my opinion.
Old Jan 13th 2009, 1:28 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Almost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dingbat
I don't get alimony, never have. I got no matrimonial assets either...lol...after twenty odd years too, all I was left was his debts. Try the Guidelines for four children, on a falsely reduced offset income of less than $50,000. That figure is insulting, given the standard of living comparison between his household and mine, so I stand by my opinion.
I wasn't arguing that and, from your previous posts, it is apparent you got the shitty end of the stick. But, the Guidelines are not supposed to address the issues you have referred to.
Old Jan 13th 2009, 1:34 pm
Assimilated Pauper

What exactly are "special expenses", besides being routine expenses not covered by child support, and how is the custodial parent expected to fund them?
Old Jan 13th 2009, 2:06 pm
Account Closed

DaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond repute

What exactly are "special expenses", besides being routine expenses not covered by child support, and how is the custodial parent expected to fund them?
I wouldn't consider routine expenses to be 'special', and would expect these to be covered by the regular child support.
Old Jan 13th 2009, 2:36 pm
Assimilated Pauper

Originally Posted by CaptainHook
I wouldn't consider routine expenses to be 'special', and would expect these to be covered by the regular child support.
Me too.

However, according to our resident shyster dental care and vacations are "special". Hence the question as to what is special and where the money is supposed to come from. Are wheelchairs and surgical braces "special"? If vacations are "special" how about cinemas and amusement parks? Is there a "special" fund, perhaps provided by some Benevolent Council of Divorce Lawyers, to finance these things?
Old Jan 13th 2009, 4:51 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Me too.

However, according to our resident shyster dental care and vacations are "special". Hence the question as to what is special and where the money is supposed to come from. Are wheelchairs and surgical braces "special"? If vacations are "special" how about cinemas and amusement parks? Is there a "special" fund, perhaps provided by some Benevolent Council of Divorce Lawyers, to finance these things?
Do you always have to resort to name calling?

Special expenses in Alberta are set out in section 7 of this Regulation http://www.qp.gov.ab.ca/documents/Re...sbn=0779741110

I would assume that other Provinces have similar secondary legislation.

Usually, the child would apply for such expenses before they are incurred, and the Court would assess the Application and decide accordingly. I note that, once again, you wish to blame the legal system for the fact that people are obnoxious to one another.
Old Jan 13th 2009, 5:11 pm
Assimilated Pauper

Do you always have to resort to name calling?

Special expenses in Alberta are set out in section 7 of this Regulation http://www.qp.gov.ab.ca/documents/Re...sbn=0779741110

I would assume that other Provinces have similar secondary legislation.

Usually, the child would apply for such expenses before they are incurred, and the Court would assess the Application and decide accordingly. I note that, once again, you wish to blame the legal system for the fact that people are obnoxious to one another.

I don't blame the legal system for the fact that people are obnoxious to one another. I think involvement with the legal system tends to make people obnoxious but, in the case of people who have chosen involvement in the legal system, one has to think they were typically obnoxious in the first place. It can't just be that doing their job has rotted their souls.

The link seems to me to describe expenses that are included in child support

"7(1) In a child support order the court may provide for an amount to cover all or any portion of the following expenses"

they seem only to be "special" in that some children don't need them, for example in the case of dental costs, because one or the other parents has insurance to cover them. All the items listed under "Special or extraordinary expenses" seem to be items that not all children need but for those children who do need them they're just routine costs.

I suppose then that the guideline support payment for the $105,000 parent of an uninsured child would be something like $1,000+1/12th of the typical dental bills. Still niggardly, but marginally less so.
Old Jan 13th 2009, 6:07 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

I don't blame the legal system for the fact that people are obnoxious to one another. I think involvement with the legal system tends to make people obnoxious but, in the case of people who have chosen involvement in the legal system, one has to think they were typically obnoxious in the first place. It can't just be that doing their job has rotted their souls.
As I have said to you before, in my experience, people choose lawyers that reflect their own personalities, timid people choose timid lawyers, obnoxious people choose obnoxious lawyers. I have never met you or any lawyer that you have instructed some I am unable to comment

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.