Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

"One Week" - the film ...

"One Week" - the film ...

Old Jul 29th 2009, 4:30 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond repute
Default "One Week" - the film ...

Has anyone hired this film yet?

It stars Joshua Jackson (currently in Fringe and used to be the other guy in Dawson's Creek many moons ago). I didn't initially realise he was Canadian, by the way. D'oh!

The film shows a wonderful and subtly amusing journey across Canada, from Toronto to Tofino on Van Island, and highlighting some really silly landmarks along the way, all to the storyline of a guy who has just discovered he has cancer. Laugh a minute, huh?

But it's really good. It made me smile anyway. It is sooooo Canadian. The narration is wonderful.

It must be just about the lowest budget film I have ever watched - special effects, forget it. You can shiver at how cold the main character becomes in this vast land, though from the colours in the background, I'd say it was filmed in the autumn.

The director's extras on the DVD are worth watching too.

Anyway, that's my recommendation for the week. It's not a chick flick - but it might make you momentarily ponder the big stuff in life. Enjoy.
Old Jul 29th 2009, 6:10 am
Banned

Butch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: "One Week" - the film ...

Move over Barry Norman
Old Jul 29th 2009, 1:30 pm
Procrastinating

Hobbess has much to be proud ofHobbess has much to be proud ofHobbess has much to be proud ofHobbess has much to be proud ofHobbess has much to be proud ofHobbess has much to be proud ofHobbess has much to be proud ofHobbess has much to be proud ofHobbess has much to be proud ofHobbess has much to be proud ofHobbess has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by ann m
I didn't initially realise he was Canadian, by the way. D'oh!
Little bit of help for you on this can be found here.

Another really Canadian low budget movie I just watched is the Sweet Hereafter (link on Zip.ca if you are on that). It's another movie with a not very cheery subject dealing with the after effects of a school bus crash, but really well done and worth a rent.
Old Jul 29th 2009, 2:04 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

...journey across Canada, from Toronto to Tofino on Van Island...
Couldn't they afford the full journey across Canada?
Old Jul 29th 2009, 2:35 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Butch Cassidy
Move over Barry Norman

Originally Posted by Hobbess
It's another movie with a not very cheery subject dealing with the after effects of a school bus crash, but really well done and worth a rent.
Noted!

One Week is not depressing - although the premise is a sad one, the story is just good. A Norton, the Stanley Cup, the world's biggest tee-pee - it's just silly, and amusing, and very Canadian.

Originally Posted by BristolUK
Couldn't they afford the full journey across Canada?
Nah, not on their budget! Think the director lived in Toronto, and they could only afford to go one way, so West it was!!!
Old Jul 29th 2009, 3:02 pm
Happy Bunnies

Flossie and Jim has a reputation beyond reputeFlossie and Jim has a reputation beyond reputeFlossie and Jim has a reputation beyond reputeFlossie and Jim has a reputation beyond reputeFlossie and Jim has a reputation beyond reputeFlossie and Jim has a reputation beyond reputeFlossie and Jim has a reputation beyond reputeFlossie and Jim has a reputation beyond reputeFlossie and Jim has a reputation beyond reputeFlossie and Jim has a reputation beyond reputeFlossie and Jim has a reputation beyond repute

the world's biggest tee-pee
Been there, done that.....
Attached Thumbnails "One Week" - the film ...-imgp0510.jpg  
Old Jul 29th 2009, 3:14 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Fab picture !
Old Jul 30th 2009, 5:30 am
Forum Regular

ScottDrummer is a name known to allScottDrummer is a name known to allScottDrummer is a name known to allScottDrummer is a name known to allScottDrummer is a name known to allScottDrummer is a name known to allScottDrummer is a name known to allScottDrummer is a name known to allScottDrummer is a name known to allScottDrummer is a name known to allScottDrummer is a name known to all

I love this film, acted well, scripted well, great narration.
I saw it at the 2008/9 Whistler Film festival premiere, the whole room was in tears at some points.
Its a great feelgood film, some dry comedy.

Highly recommend it for a quite night in, rainy day, which were not getting much of at the moment in BC.
Old Jul 30th 2009, 5:36 am
Cynically amused.

dingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond repute

Another really Canadian low budget movie I just watched is the Sweet Hereafter (link on Zip.ca if you are on that). It's another movie with a not very cheery subject dealing with the after effects of a school bus crash, but really well done and worth a rent.
That film is so very sad. It is a brilliant depiction of small town Canada though.
Old Jul 30th 2009, 5:37 am
Forum Regular

ScottDrummer is a name known to allScottDrummer is a name known to allScottDrummer is a name known to allScottDrummer is a name known to allScottDrummer is a name known to allScottDrummer is a name known to allScottDrummer is a name known to allScottDrummer is a name known to allScottDrummer is a name known to allScottDrummer is a name known to allScottDrummer is a name known to all

Originally Posted by dingbat
That film is so very sad. It is a brilliant depiction of small town Canada though.
Did you not watch it all the way through to the end?
I guess you can take various approaches to the film; to me , the whole point of the film is that the guy is having the time of his life, doing what he always wanted, not sad at all.

Last edited by ScottDrummer; Jul 30th 2009 at 5:40 am.
Old Jul 30th 2009, 12:45 pm
Analyst for hire

Ben W Bell has a reputation beyond reputeBen W Bell has a reputation beyond reputeBen W Bell has a reputation beyond reputeBen W Bell has a reputation beyond reputeBen W Bell has a reputation beyond reputeBen W Bell has a reputation beyond reputeBen W Bell has a reputation beyond reputeBen W Bell has a reputation beyond reputeBen W Bell has a reputation beyond reputeBen W Bell has a reputation beyond reputeBen W Bell has a reputation beyond repute

And of course the US is saved on a 24 hourly basis by the most American Canadian out there, Kiefer Sutherland.
Old Jul 30th 2009, 4:04 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by dingbat
Originally Posted by ScottDrummer
Did you not watch it all the way through to the end?
I guess you can take various approaches to the film; to me , the whole point of the film is that the guy is having the time of his life, doing what he always wanted, not sad at all.
I think Dingbat may be referring to Sweet Hereafter ?

I found moments of One Weeks sad, but like you ScottDrummer, I found it quite uplifting, funny and hopeful.
Old Jul 30th 2009, 4:23 pm
Forum Regular

I think Dingbat may be referring to Sweet Hereafter ?

I found moments of One Weeks sad, but like you ScottDrummer, I found it quite uplifting, funny and hopeful.
Oops, ah I see. Sorry Dingbat
Old Jul 30th 2009, 4:35 pm
Procrastinating

Hobbess has much to be proud ofHobbess has much to be proud ofHobbess has much to be proud ofHobbess has much to be proud ofHobbess has much to be proud ofHobbess has much to be proud ofHobbess has much to be proud ofHobbess has much to be proud ofHobbess has much to be proud ofHobbess has much to be proud ofHobbess has much to be proud of

I'll add 2 more Canadian movies worth a watch:
Radiant City - "documentary" about living in the suburbs, filmed in Calgary
Last Night - about the lsat night on earth and how some Canadians chose to spend it

And one to avoid:
My Winnipeg - was liked by a few critics but way to bizarre for me, it's a poem/love letter in a film dedicated to Winnipeg

I've added One Week to my ziplist to give that a shot.

ScottDrummer I tried to apply your reply about One Week to the Sweet Hereafter and even though it is about one man's journey (Ian Holm), he is definately not having the time of his life!
Old Jul 30th 2009, 9:02 pm
Analyst for hire

Ben W Bell has a reputation beyond reputeBen W Bell has a reputation beyond reputeBen W Bell has a reputation beyond reputeBen W Bell has a reputation beyond reputeBen W Bell has a reputation beyond reputeBen W Bell has a reputation beyond reputeBen W Bell has a reputation beyond reputeBen W Bell has a reputation beyond reputeBen W Bell has a reputation beyond reputeBen W Bell has a reputation beyond reputeBen W Bell has a reputation beyond repute

Great Canadian Film. Bon Cop, Bad Cop. A crime conedy/drama about a body that turns up straddling the border between Ontario and Quebec. As a result both a Quebec and Ontario detective have to work together to solve the murder, and the unravelling mystery. Different attitudes and styles of police work, plus switching back and forth between French and English (there are subtitles, don't worry) leads to a lot of language jokes, cultural differences, hockey and an entertaining film that couldn't be set anywhere else in the world but Canada.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.