Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

One of the more interesting email scams

One of the more interesting email scams

Old Apr 7th 2016, 5:06 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: One of the more interesting email scams

Originally Posted by Jsmth321
I feel left out. I never get these sorts of emails.
Perhaps they are in your junk folder. That's where mine go.

I'm currently trialling Office 2010 and I don't get messages that something has gone to junk, like I got with 2003 version. So unless I happen to look, they could be in there, unseen.
Old Apr 7th 2016, 5:24 pm
Slob

Souvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BristolUK
Perhaps they are in your junk folder. That's where mine go.

I'm currently trialling Office 2010 and I don't get messages that something has gone to junk, like I got with 2003 version. So unless I happen to look, they could be in there, unseen.
It's worth keeping an eye on the junk folder. My Outlook often sends stuff to it that it shouldn't.
Old Apr 7th 2016, 5:37 pm
Nuther day in paradise.ca

magnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond repute

I feel left out. I never get these sorts of emails.
Check your junk mail, there is nothing special about u Smiffffffy
Old Apr 7th 2016, 6:22 pm
Slightly Canadian

Atlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by caretaker
I fixed that, since no ethernet connection exists here I determined that the lady on the phone was a scammer, and told her that because she was a liar and a fraud, she was going to Hell, and for trying to cheat innocent people her fate would be to burn in the fire for eternity. I trued to be convincing and must have caught a religious one because she became extremely concerned, (sounded like almost crying), and never called back (she'd called once before). It was almost 2 years before they called back, and then it was a young man. When he said they had detected a virus on my computer I just asked to speak with his supervisor and he hung up.
I either affect great religious fervor, and ask them how they can possible live with themselves, or, if I have less patience, tell them to go boil their head and put the phone down.
Old Apr 7th 2016, 6:31 pm
Slob

Souvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Atlantic Xpat
I either affect great religious fervor, and ask them how they can possible live with themselves, or, if I have less patience, tell them to go boil their head and put the phone down.
You are too generous. I stopped being polite a while ago. These days I just tell them to f**k off.
Old Apr 7th 2016, 6:54 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Souvy
It's worth keeping an eye on the junk folder. My Outlook often sends stuff to it that it shouldn't.
It happened once or twice with 2003's Outlook, but at least I got a message to say something was sent there.

"Outlook has received a message that appears to be junk..." or whatever it said. 2010 doesn't appear to say anything and I've not been able to find a way to have such an alert displayed, I just notice something there if I scroll down to see.
Old Apr 7th 2016, 7:23 pm
Slob

Originally Posted by BristolUK
It happened once or twice with 2003's Outlook, but at least I got a message to say something was sent there.

"Outlook has received a message that appears to be junk..." or whatever it said. 2010 doesn't appear to say anything and I've not been able to find a way to have such an alert displayed, I just notice something there if I scroll down to see.
Mine used to give me a warning message but doesn't these days. Stuff with a few hyperlinks just gets junked automatically, as does stuff from senders I've added to my blocked list.

The odd legit one gets junked by mistake, so I keep an eye on the message count in the folder.

I perhaps get more emails than you do. I had over 700 to wade through when I got back from a week's vacation (that included the Easter long weekend).

For some reason the Outlook on my company server doesn't have a junk folder. It's called "clutter".

While we are on the subject of scams, I just had a call offering me a free astrological reading over the phone.
Old Apr 7th 2016, 7:45 pm
BE Forum Addict

HGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond repute

I get them a lot because of my job, this one started off so innocently

Him
Hello,
May i know if your property is still available.
Thanks
Mr Nelson Wilson

Me
Thank you for your enquiry about my listing atxxxxxx. It is still available, if you would like to see it I would be happy to arrange that for you.

You can contact me either via email or on my cell xxxxx

Him
Hello,
Thank you so much for the response on your property and I wish to let you know that I am sincerely interested in your property and I am surely buying this property on your wall outlet as well and I am hoping that we can work together on a better and higher platform, considering my relocation to your country, I sincerely want to trust you.I am a veteran of the war in Afghanistan, NATO troop, on war against terrorism. I served in the 1st Armored Division in Baghdad and now serving in Iraq will need this property for my private purposes Afghanistan.

As i will be relocating to your Country, and this is because of some security Reasons why i contacted you and i hope we can do this transaction as calm and quite as possible because of the nature of my Job i have to be security alert and i choose your property because of i like the location please get in torch with me as soon as possible so i will know my next step.
Sincerely ,
Mr Nelson Wilson

Starting to smell a rat, but this house was taking some selling so prepared to stick with it for a while

Me
I suggest we arrange to meet when you come over to Canada and I can show you this property if it's available then or other similar ones. It is not recommended to buy a house you have only seen on the internet.

Him
Hi ,
Thanks for your time and response.Please the fund can only be transferred to you once the UN AGENT helps in getting it out of IRAQ and this is the more reason that i contacted you.I want you to be in charge of everything from the legal documents to the buying of the property and that's why i am giving you 20% of the fund.Because i am not only buying your property but will give you the 20% of the fund for your troubles and assistance because i cant do it myself from here in the Military camp and i cant come to your country until you receive the fund.But one thing i am assuring you is that this is 100% risk free and you will never regret doing it.Just help me and lets get this done as quickly as possible,all i need from you now is for you to be secretive and never discuss this with anyone till you get this fund in your hands.Lastly i will also need your :

FULL NAMES
DIRECT MOBILE PHONE NUMBER

Me
Here are the details you request:

Full Name: Mr Bean
Job: Internet Fraud Squad
Cell phone: 419 419 4191

Him
thanks you
Old Apr 7th 2016, 8:58 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

No scam emails in thw spam folder. Emails from Hillary Clinton, Disney, wix, expedia and costco thougg which all appear to be legit.

Does google have a way to stop these kinds of emails before they even get to the receiver?

I only went back 3 weeks so cant say one isnt there but not in the last 3 weeks anyhow.
Old Apr 7th 2016, 9:04 pm
BE Forum Addict

HGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond repute

No scam emails in thw spam folder. Emails from Hillary Clinton, Disney, wix, expedia and costco thougg which all appear to be legit.

Does google have a way to stop these kinds of emails before they even get to the receiver?

I only went back 3 weeks so cant say one isnt there but not in the last 3 weeks anyhow.
Next time I get one, would you like me to forward it to you? I hate that you feel left out.
Old Apr 7th 2016, 10:45 pm
Oscar nominated

Originally Posted by Souvy
I perhaps get more emails than you do.

Originally Posted by HGerchikov
"May i know if your property is still available..."
I get enquiries about kijiji listings when I don't have any.

They don't ask much, just give me a link to click on.
Old Apr 7th 2016, 10:49 pm
Oscar nominated

Do you mean gmail?

I get a bunch of advert type emails that go into spam.

The scam stuff comes to my main email address and into junk.
Old Apr 8th 2016, 1:05 am
BE Forum Addict

haggis88 has a reputation beyond reputehaggis88 has a reputation beyond reputehaggis88 has a reputation beyond reputehaggis88 has a reputation beyond reputehaggis88 has a reputation beyond reputehaggis88 has a reputation beyond reputehaggis88 has a reputation beyond reputehaggis88 has a reputation beyond reputehaggis88 has a reputation beyond reputehaggis88 has a reputation beyond reputehaggis88 has a reputation beyond repute

I strung one along for a while when I was trying to sell a motorbike on Gumtree

Kept putting in ridiculous typing errors and then going totally off the topic of selling the bike and told him my gran had to have an operation because she caught crabs or something

When he asked for my name, address and phone number I gave him the address and phone number of the local police station

then I got bored, responded to him with a bunch of profanity and his only words back were "U lack manner"

The spam i've been getting recently is just "Invoice for XYZ" and a zipped attachment, or a "Scan from a Multifunction Device" with a malicious word document attached...the Scan ones are interesting because they appear to spoof internal email addresses from the company
Old Apr 8th 2016, 11:36 pm
Peter Darwin

pdarwin has a reputation beyond reputepdarwin has a reputation beyond reputepdarwin has a reputation beyond reputepdarwin has a reputation beyond reputepdarwin has a reputation beyond reputepdarwin has a reputation beyond reputepdarwin has a reputation beyond reputepdarwin has a reputation beyond reputepdarwin has a reputation beyond reputepdarwin has a reputation beyond reputepdarwin has a reputation beyond repute

You really shouldn't just trash all these supposed junk emails, just in case one of them could be genuine and you may miss out on a fortune. Now if you'd like me to investigate these people for you, I'd be glad to. You'll just need to forward me a few $$ for expenses and I'll be right on the case for you.
Old May 7th 2016, 5:40 pm
Oscar nominated

Not interesting but one I'd not seen before.

Your amazon account was recently logged into from a mobile device or other location you have never used before.

WHAT TO DO NEXT

Please log in to your amazon account and complete the steps to confirm your identity and your recent account activity.
To help protect your account, your account will remain limited until you complete the necessary steps.

View your recent activity.

The security of your Amazon account is a top priority for us and we want to work together to help protect it.

Yours sincerely,
Amazon Security Team.
Hovering over the link shows frungilodecor somethingorother

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.