Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

OMG! Mum's done a u-turn!!

Wikiposts

OMG! Mum's done a u-turn!!

Old Jan 29th 2010, 10:26 am
BE Forum Addict

LinsyPinsy has a reputation beyond reputeLinsyPinsy has a reputation beyond reputeLinsyPinsy has a reputation beyond reputeLinsyPinsy has a reputation beyond reputeLinsyPinsy has a reputation beyond reputeLinsyPinsy has a reputation beyond reputeLinsyPinsy has a reputation beyond reputeLinsyPinsy has a reputation beyond reputeLinsyPinsy has a reputation beyond reputeLinsyPinsy has a reputation beyond reputeLinsyPinsy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: OMG! Mum's done a u-turn!!

Originally Posted by R I C H
Ahh, maybe Lins. I'd rather a more honest or transparent attitude though.

You're right, I don't need or seek their approval, but it's interesting that siblings that are less ambitious (settled jobs, nice homes but no particular energy or drive) are lauded for 'doing so well'. I've learned to shrug it off and not let it worry me. Being the black sheep's ok
Go, the black sheeps....Baaaaa!!!!!!!!!
lns
Old Jan 29th 2010, 11:23 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by R I C H
My parents had no apparent issue with me moving here, but it's their lack of interest or willingness to talk about the whole emigration issue to my face that I find annoying. I get anecdotes from my brother and sisters about what my parents think about it, and it doesn't seem to matter how successful, settled or happy I am, there's an underlying assumption that at some point I'll return to what they consider my home...

I don't need accolades or a pat on the back, but a little recognition of the effort would perhaps be nice, rather than phone calls about how well their grandkids are doing.
This sounds little bit familiar here too. My parents are both dead so I have not had to contend with their thoughts on the whole issue. But hubby's parents rarely say anything. They ask how he is and then go on about the cold.

I feel disappointed for him that his dad has shown no interest in seeing where his son has ended up. He won't do the flight ( but is quite happy to trundle off to Ibiza, Portugal and Ireland about 4 times a year). The extra 4 hours on his bum wouldn't kill him. And while hubby doesn't necessarily seek approval, a wee acknowledgement that he has made an OK decision wouldn't go amiss!

I guess it doesn't help that at the beginning, we had quite a few wobbly days - and voiced that opinion. Everyone now simply assumes it's a case of when we return and not if. If we have wobbly days now, we don't say a word to anyone. And if we did return anyway, I'd be gutted at the silent "well, we knew it would happen" looks and want to slap them
Old Jan 29th 2010, 11:35 am
Banned

bsmith has a reputation beyond reputebsmith has a reputation beyond reputebsmith has a reputation beyond reputebsmith has a reputation beyond reputebsmith has a reputation beyond reputebsmith has a reputation beyond reputebsmith has a reputation beyond reputebsmith has a reputation beyond reputebsmith has a reputation beyond reputebsmith has a reputation beyond reputebsmith has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ann m
This sounds little bit familiar here too. My parents are both dead so I have not had to contend with their thoughts on the whole issue. But hubby's parents rarely say anything. They ask how he is and then go on about the cold.
...Actually had that conversation yesterday. (Though by all accounts, "it's a bit milder" at the moment.)
Old Jan 29th 2010, 1:35 pm
BE Forum Addict

Partially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by NatsnSid
Nice one Linz!
Now - My father in law has a picture of our place/area in the van to show his mates, tells my parents how great it is and how they should hurry up and come visit.
These people wouldn't happen to be ex-pats would they?

http://maps.google.com/maps?t=h&q=48...09.61,,0,-1.34
Old Jan 29th 2010, 5:08 pm
BE Forum Addict

Getting There has a reputation beyond reputeGetting There has a reputation beyond reputeGetting There has a reputation beyond reputeGetting There has a reputation beyond reputeGetting There has a reputation beyond reputeGetting There has a reputation beyond reputeGetting There has a reputation beyond reputeGetting There has a reputation beyond reputeGetting There has a reputation beyond reputeGetting There has a reputation beyond reputeGetting There has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by linz3112
Anyone who has read my posts on threads about telling parents about moving etc will know that my Mum has been trying all forms of guilt-tripping and stropping to put me off going! Needless to say that this has been really hard for me to take and has caused friction between us. I have not discussed Canada with her for the last few months and she was not interested when we booked our Reccie etc only a couple of weeks ago.......

Well!! She made the approach to ask how the plans were coming along yesterday!! To say i was shocked is an understatement but nothing prepared me for her comments a little further into the conversation!!

When talking about going and how we have weighed up pros and cons etc, her response was " Well, you have to do whats right for you and your family Linz!" - OMG! I nearly fell off my chair!!

When i questioned her u-turn, she said that she had realised that i wasn't just jumping into it and that she had been researching Canada a little bit at home "on the quiet" and she can see the appeal etc.........

To anyone who has parents that are making it difficult - give them time!! I honestly believe that my Mum just needed time to get her head around the idea - far enough it has taken her a year but each to her own!!

Sorry for the ramble - think it's the shock!!

Terrific news Linz. Really pleased she is coming around to the idea.

Eamonn & Janet.
Old Jan 30th 2010, 3:23 am
BE Enthusiast

linz3112 is a glorious beacon of lightlinz3112 is a glorious beacon of lightlinz3112 is a glorious beacon of lightlinz3112 is a glorious beacon of lightlinz3112 is a glorious beacon of lightlinz3112 is a glorious beacon of lightlinz3112 is a glorious beacon of lightlinz3112 is a glorious beacon of lightlinz3112 is a glorious beacon of lightlinz3112 is a glorious beacon of lightlinz3112 is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by LinsyPinsy
Go, the black sheeps....Baaaaa!!!!!!!!!
lns

I have had a thought that her u-turn could have something to do with the fact that my Bro has recently announced that his Girlfriend is pregnant - i am no longer taking away her only Grandchild!
Old Jan 30th 2010, 3:30 am
BE Enthusiast

linz3112 is a glorious beacon of lightlinz3112 is a glorious beacon of lightlinz3112 is a glorious beacon of lightlinz3112 is a glorious beacon of lightlinz3112 is a glorious beacon of lightlinz3112 is a glorious beacon of lightlinz3112 is a glorious beacon of lightlinz3112 is a glorious beacon of lightlinz3112 is a glorious beacon of lightlinz3112 is a glorious beacon of lightlinz3112 is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by LinsyPinsy
RICH,
I bet your parents talk about your move in a very positive light behind your back. Parents do that. They'll be like 'Oooh, you should see the house he's living in..the job he has...how happy he is etc etc. The last thing they'll do is tell you!

And to you they'll be like...Oooh Johnny/Keith/Bobby is doing great...kids are so sweet...they're all so good to me...blah blah

I guess you reach a point that you no longer seek the approval....but it would still be nice to get it now and again, haha

They are probably extremely proud...

lins
I agree!
I did this when my Dad moved to America, i never really said that i minded but i never said i didn't either but then i used to brag to everyone about how he lived there!!