Oil AB

Old Jan 14th 2015, 2:19 am
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Photoplex has a reputation beyond reputePhotoplex has a reputation beyond reputePhotoplex has a reputation beyond reputePhotoplex has a reputation beyond reputePhotoplex has a reputation beyond reputePhotoplex has a reputation beyond reputePhotoplex has a reputation beyond reputePhotoplex has a reputation beyond reputePhotoplex has a reputation beyond reputePhotoplex has a reputation beyond reputePhotoplex has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Oil AB

Originally Posted by cbrown89
Dont know too much about shale oil but I don't think the lifetime of the industry is very long.
As Steve said, it's the golden child of US oil production. It's now being used all over the place, and is being haled as the possible future saviour of the Irish economy. It'll be here for as long as oil is being pulled out of the ground.
Old Jan 14th 2015, 2:24 am
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Photoplex has a reputation beyond reputePhotoplex has a reputation beyond reputePhotoplex has a reputation beyond reputePhotoplex has a reputation beyond reputePhotoplex has a reputation beyond reputePhotoplex has a reputation beyond reputePhotoplex has a reputation beyond reputePhotoplex has a reputation beyond reputePhotoplex has a reputation beyond reputePhotoplex has a reputation beyond reputePhotoplex has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Oakvillian
So Alberta needs to sort out a properly equitable tax system? My heart bleeds.

The fall in oil prices is good for the world economy. The inability of frackers and other marginal producers to make any money, and will be forced out of business, is good for the environment. The fall in the Canadian dollar is great for Canadian manufacturers and exporters. The fall in price of fuel is good for consumers.

It's about time Alberta got a taste of what it has been dishing out to Ontario for years. Bleat on, Albertans: the rest of Canada's not listening.*

*with the possible exception of NL, and apologies to AX...
As someone from a poor "have not province", that receives $3.1bn a year in Alberta oil money, I would have thought you would be a little more contrite.

Oh well, let's see how your province fairs without the charity handouts we give you.

Cal-i-for-ni-a

Last edited by Photoplex; Jan 14th 2015 at 2:32 am.
Old Jan 14th 2015, 2:36 am
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Photoplex
As someone from a poor Have Not province, that receives $3.1bn a year in Alberta oil money, I would have thought you would be a little more contrite.

Oh well, let's see how your province fairs without the charity handouts we give you.

Cal-i-for-ni-a
Good post. It encapsulates everything that's wrong (well no, not everything) with Canada.

It's Ok to have regional rivalries between, say, football teams, but it's f***ing stupid to have barriers to trade and lack of equal access to resources between various regional entities within the same nation.

If you take a moment to reflect on this you'll agree.
Old Jan 14th 2015, 2:43 am
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Originally Posted by Novocastrian
Good post. It encapsulates everything that's wrong (well no, not everything) with Canada.

It's Ok to have regional rivalries between, say, football teams, but it's f***ing stupid to have barriers to trade and lack of equal access to resources between various regional entities within the same nation.

If you take a moment to reflect on this you'll agree.
Took a moment, looked back at the post I quoted, and don't agree. At all.
Old Jan 14th 2015, 9:48 am
BE Forum Addict

ChrisBan has a reputation beyond reputeChrisBan has a reputation beyond reputeChrisBan has a reputation beyond reputeChrisBan has a reputation beyond reputeChrisBan has a reputation beyond reputeChrisBan has a reputation beyond reputeChrisBan has a reputation beyond reputeChrisBan has a reputation beyond reputeChrisBan has a reputation beyond reputeChrisBan has a reputation beyond reputeChrisBan has a reputation beyond repute

Alberta recession likely in 2015, Conference Board of Canada says | CTV News

popped up on my Facebook yesterday evening
Old Jan 14th 2015, 1:32 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Almost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jsmth321
Lower the income one has the harder it is to do since a larger % of your income goes to essentials, and well if your already in the cheapest housing in town, not like you can downsize to a smaller place like a higher income earner can do.
I appreciate that but that's not what you were referring to above.
Old Jan 14th 2015, 1:45 pm
Magnificently Withering

Oakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Photoplex
Took a moment, looked back at the post I quoted, and don't agree. At all.
I really feel for the poor sods at Suncor and Shell who are being laid off. I sympathise wholeheartedly with the people who are going to struggle to pay off their overextended mortgages. There but for the grace of God, and all that.

But you really can't expect an Ontarian to have any sympathy whatsoever for the provincial government in Alberta. Such poisonous I'm-alright-Jack rhetoric has come out of Edmonton in the past half dozen years that it's only right and proper the rest of the country should indulge in a little Schadenfreude now. "Charity handouts" is it? Living off the profits of natural resource exploitation, and paying a share of that revenue to Federal government, doesn't sound quite like charity to me, it sounds more like the basic functioning of a federal democracy. We are, as Novo points out, all part of the same country.

It would be nice to think that Alberta might come out of this a little more fiscally responsible. A proper income tax system, a provincial sales tax, all the sort of things that go on in other places that are not dodgy offshore tax haven economies... any of that would be a step forward for Alberta. But I won't hold my breath if the rest of the province still has the same "bollocks to the rest of you" attitude that you so eloquently articulated.

Sure, Ontario's economy is far from well. Massive debts, a still significant (albeit shrinking) deficit. At least in part, that status has been driven by the Federal government's continuing refusal (despite repeated commitments) to regulate oil sands industries. Unfettered development in Alberta has helped to drive up the Loonie, making Ontario's manufacturing economy less competitive. It is a gamble that, at least in the short term, seems to have done Alberta a major disservice. The general economic outlook in Ontario is pretty positive right now: a couple of recent significant announcements of new jobs in automotive manufacturing, a big shift in employment numbers from part-time to full-time work... it's a long road back, but a cheaper dollar certainly helps global competitiveness. And, ultimately, that helps Canada, despite the difficulties the lower oil price causes to the tar sands operations.

Last edited by Oakvillian; Jan 14th 2015 at 1:47 pm.
Old Jan 14th 2015, 2:38 pm
slanderer of the innocent

ExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond repute

I feel less schadenfreude than Oak only because BC has been successfully screwing with AB over pipelines over the past few years. I do expect if AB goes into recession we'll see more people coming here.
Old Jan 14th 2015, 2:40 pm

ExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jsmth321
Yes, I was talking about the mortgages, its not wise in my mind to buy a house in the lower mainland in BC relying on wages in Alberta and not expecting oil to ever decline and jobs lost and getting stuck with a house they cannot afford since they can't get the same sort of wage in BC.

Seems to be a lot of pressure on people to own when renting makes more sense.

As for commuting from province A to Alberta for work, also makes no sense to me. Move to Alberta if that is where your job is, why would anyone want to live in a place that has no jobs for them? If you have to commute 1/2 across the country, probably not wise to stay there in the first place.
I get it. If you're living the FI/FO lifestyle anyway, why not live where you want to live?

Allegedly forestry is picking up in BC, so hopefully all is not lost for people coming back
Old Jan 14th 2015, 3:38 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Almost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond repute

I really feel for the poor sods at Suncor and Shell who are being laid off. I sympathise wholeheartedly with the people who are going to struggle to pay off their overextended mortgages. There but for the grace of God, and all that.
I agree but people overextending their mortgages isn't limited to Albertans

But you really can't expect an Ontarian to have any sympathy whatsoever for the provincial government in Alberta. Such poisonous I'm-alright-Jack rhetoric has come out of Edmonton in the past half dozen years that it's only right and proper the rest of the country should indulge in a little Schadenfreude now.
Could you please provide me with some of these as I am not aware of them (genuine request, as I have no idea of what is reported in other Provinces)

"Charity handouts" is it? Living off the profits of natural resource exploitation, and paying a share of that revenue to Federal government, doesn't sound quite like charity to me, it sounds more like the basic functioning of a federal democracy. We are, as Novo points out, all part of the same country.
I agree and I am confident that the other Provinces will assist Alberta to get oil to markets so that all of Canada may benefit

It would be nice to think that Alberta might come out of this a little more fiscally responsible. A proper income tax system, a provincial sales tax, all the sort of things that go on in other places that are not dodgy offshore tax haven economies... any of that would be a step forward for Alberta. But I won't hold my breath if the rest of the province still has the same "bollocks to the rest of you" attitude that you so eloquently articulated.
IIRC Alberta spends as much as other Provinces on things such as healthcare and education so what do you propose that Alberta does to its tax system that will benefit the rest of the country, assuming of course that Albertans are happy with their tax system?

Sure, Ontario's economy is far from well. Massive debts, a still significant (albeit shrinking) deficit. At least in part, that status has been driven by the Federal government's continuing refusal (despite repeated commitments) to regulate oil sands industries. Unfettered development in Alberta has helped to drive up the Loonie, making Ontario's manufacturing economy less competitive. It is a gamble that, at least in the short term, seems to have done Alberta a major disservice. The general economic outlook in Ontario is pretty positive right now: a couple of recent significant announcements of new jobs in automotive manufacturing, a big shift in employment numbers from part-time to full-time work... it's a long road back, but a cheaper dollar certainly helps global competitiveness. And, ultimately, that helps Canada, despite the difficulties the lower oil price causes to the tar sands operations.
No comment
Old Jan 14th 2015, 4:05 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Almost Canadian
I appreciate that but that's not what you were referring to above.
It was a separate reply to you not related to the original reply.
Old Jan 14th 2015, 4:11 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ExKiwilass
I get it. If you're living the FI/FO lifestyle anyway, why not live where you want to live?

Allegedly forestry is picking up in BC, so hopefully all is not lost for people coming back
You have to live where you have a job, which isn't always where you want to be. I'd like to live right downtown in a city, but obviously that will never happen, but that would be where I am happiest, not needing a car, able to walk just about everywhere, close to transit and such.

Don't want to rely too much on forestry though, ask the many towns around the province what happened to them by relying on it.
Old Jan 14th 2015, 5:10 pm

jsmith, that's not true if you're FIFO.
Old Jan 14th 2015, 5:12 pm
Yo

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ExKiwilass
jsmith, that's not true if you're FIFO.
Fifo?
Old Jan 14th 2015, 5:33 pm

fly in/fly out

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.