Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

Off Topic Posts moved from Coronavirus thread

Off Topic Posts moved from Coronavirus thread

Old Jan 19th 2021, 2:12 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Off Topic Posts moved from Coronavirus thread

Originally Posted by Shard
This page:

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/

If you scroll down a large table appears.
Thanks Shard, just spent the last couple of hours doing Hungarian homework so now I've got a headache! I'll get back on the stats later!
Old Jan 19th 2021, 2:31 pm
Yo

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Expatrick
Thanks Shard, just spent the last couple of hours doing Hungarian homework so now I've got a headache! I'll get back on the stats later!
Is that Hungarian language learning ?
Old Jan 19th 2021, 2:48 pm
Yo

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jingsamichty
Indeed, Channel 4, The Guardian and The Independent are the only media sources which aim to hold the Government to account with any determination. The rest of the print media is either wilfully obsequious or more interested in celebs than current affairs. The BBC gets equally bashed by all sides so I guess they are as impartial as it's possible to be.
Made a comment in the Corona/Vax UK thread (Maple Leaf) on this. One of the mods previously ticked me off for bringing UK politics into this thread. But be warned, it praises Piers B Morgan.
Old Jan 19th 2021, 2:53 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond repute

Is that Hungarian language learning ?
Well, that's the objective, the result however...
Old Jan 19th 2021, 2:55 pm
Yo

Well, that's the objective, the result however...
It's a very tough language from what I understand. What level are you at ?
Old Jan 19th 2021, 2:56 pm
Account Closed

It's a very tough language from what I understand. What level are you at ?
Basic but advancing steadily.
Currently into "complex" sentences (teacher's term, not mine!)
Old Jan 19th 2021, 3:09 pm
Yo

Basic but advancing steadily.
Currently into "complex" sentences (teacher's term, not mine!)
Great ! Complex sentences are a standard grammatical term. There are so many online/app learning resources for language these days. Definitely a worthwhile endeavour if you are living in another country.
Old Jan 19th 2021, 3:14 pm
Account Closed

Great ! Complex sentences are a standard grammatical term. There are so many online/app learning resources for language these days. Definitely a worthwhile endeavour if you are living in another country.
Very worthwhile! Struggled with DuoLingo a while back - eg "The kindergarten teacher is crawling on top of the bus followed by 6 yellow ants"! Fortunate now to have a great teacher, big push this year!
Old Jan 19th 2021, 4:00 pm
Yo

Default Re: Off Topic Posts moved from Coronavirus thread

Very worthwhile! Struggled with DuoLingo a while back - eg "The kindergarten teacher is crawling on top of the bus followed by 6 yellow ants"! Fortunate now to have a great teacher, big push this year!
DuoLingo has it's place, good as a pre-learning tool, familiarisation with some vocab and sentence structure.
Old Jan 19th 2021, 4:02 pm
Lowering the tone

Jingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond repute

I find it fascinating that Hungarian and Finnish are both Turkic languages. Finnish has no relation at all to the Scandic languages. Is Hungarian completely different to, say Romanian and Bulgarian?
Old Jan 19th 2021, 4:10 pm
Yo

I find it fascinating that Hungarian and Finnish are both Turkic languages. Finnish has no relation at all to the Scandic languages. Is Hungarian completely different to, say Romanian and Bulgarian?
Completely different, I believe. I think Romanian is even one of the romance languages, not sure on Bulgarian.
Old Jan 19th 2021, 4:33 pm
Lowering the tone

Jingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond repute

Made a comment in the Corona/Vax UK thread (Maple Leaf) on this. One of the mods previously ticked me off for bringing UK politics into this thread. But be warned, it praises Piers B Morgan.
The problem with Piers Morgan is that even when he's right, he's still a c***.

Did you see Matt Hancock the other day, refusing to answer the question about whether he now regretted having voted against provision of free meals to poor schoolkids? Absolutely shameless.

"Do you regret having voted against providing free meals to hungry schoolkids?"
"I'm very glad that we're now providing these meals."
"If you're very glad that you're now providing them, do you regret having voted against it?"

Repeat 6 times. Shameless.
Old Jan 19th 2021, 4:55 pm
Yo

The problem with Piers Morgan is that even when he's right, he's still a c***.

Did you see Matt Hancock the other day, refusing to answer the question about whether he now regretted having voted against provision of free meals to poor schoolkids? Absolutely shameless.

"Do you regret having voted against providing free meals to hungry schoolkids?"
"If you're very glad that you're now providing them, do you regret having voted against it?"

Repeat 6 times. Shameless.
I didn't see it. Very tired of Matt pink tie Hancock. Today's Piers cross examination was a similar format:

Why does Britain have the worst death rate in the world?
We're very proud of our vaccine roll out program...
Yes, but why do we have the worst death rate?
Every death is a tragedy, but we're very proud that Britain is leading the vaccine roll out...
Credit where credit is due on the vaccinations, but why does Briatin have the worst death rate, what did we do wrong?
It's too early to compare death rates...

Etc, etc.

It's obvious that the MP was given strict talking points, but PBM is right to press him on some accountability. Perhaps now that the figure is so bad, and so world-beating, there will be more pressure from other parts of the media. Their ought to be.
Old Feb 2nd 2021, 8:43 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

I thought there was a BC recovery benefit post from December but I am either blind or there isn't one...

Anyhow drivers in BC will be seeing small rebates from ICBC in the coming months, ICBC has apparently saved a small fortune on claims during the pandemic and NDP has decided to return some of the money to policy holders.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/briti...nced-1.5897915
Old Feb 2nd 2021, 9:03 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jsmth321
I thought there was a BC recovery benefit post from December but I am either blind or there isn't one...

Anyhow drivers in BC will be seeing small rebates from ICBC in the coming months, ICBC has apparently saved a small fortune on claims during the pandemic and NDP has decided to return some of the money to policy holders.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/briti...nced-1.5897915
Is this the one:

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.