Occupy Wall Street.

Old Oct 10th 2011, 2:48 am

Alan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Occupy Wall Street.

The movement seems to be broadly about getting money out of politics and ending corruption and fraud of a bought government in the US. Those protesting seem to be a mixed bunch from left to right, although you wouldn't know it from the coverage as the media seem to like to give air time to the wackos. Even the local canadian media thinks it's about ending corporate greed rather than anything specific.

Apparently it's coming to Vancouver and Toronto. Although why Canadians are complaining about fraud and corruption in the US I don't know.

So, what are peoples thoughts? Personally I agree with their main aims even though some of them are probably nuts and their solutions would screw things up even more. At the very least, they are stating the problem in a way that hopefully can't be ignored by those in charge.
Old Oct 10th 2011, 2:57 am
Beep

el_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Occupy Wall Street.

Originally Posted by Alan2005
The movement seems to be broadly about getting money out of politics and ending corruption and fraud of a bought government in the US. Those protesting seem to be a mixed bunch from left to right, although you wouldn't know it from the coverage as the media seem to like to give air time to the wackos. Even the local canadian media thinks it's about ending corporate greed rather than anything specific.

Apparently it's coming to Vancouver and Toronto. Although why Canadians are complaining about fraud and corruption in the US I don't know.

So, what are peoples thoughts? Personally I agree with their main aims even though some of them are probably nuts and their solutions would screw things up even more. At the very least, they are stating the problem in a way that hopefully can't be ignored by those in charge.
Yeah it's supposed to be kicking off in Vancouver outside the art gallery on Wednesday.

I'm really hoping it's an elaborate joke at their expense. A social experiment where the actual protest will be in favour of corporations and the wealthy.

****ing hippies!!!
Old Oct 10th 2011, 3:00 am

Alan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by el_richo
Yeah it's supposed to be kicking off in Vancouver outside the art gallery on Wednesday.

I'm really hoping it's an elaborate joke at their expense. A social experiment where the actual protest will be in favour of corporations and the wealthy.

****ing hippies!!!
The art gallery? That evil bastion of capitalism that needs bringing down. Idiots.
Old Oct 10th 2011, 3:28 am
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

The art gallery? That evil bastion of capitalism that needs bringing down. Idiots.
I'll be contributing to this thread tomorrow. Right now I'm on the end of a thanksgiving dinner which thanksgivingly involved a great deal of very decent vin rouge.

A demain mes amis. (hic).
Old Oct 10th 2011, 3:35 am

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Novocastrian
I'll be contributing to this thread tomorrow. Right now I'm on the end of a thanksgiving dinner which thanksgivingly involved a great deal of very decent vin rouge.

Me too.

Although, I have to say unless it's heads on stakes I've seen it all before.
Mai 68, La Lutte Continue.
Old Oct 10th 2011, 4:21 am

Originally Posted by Novocastrian

Originally Posted by Oink
Me too.

Although, I have to say unless it's heads on stakes I've seen it all before.
Mai 68, La Lutte Continue.
Well my turkey dinner took too long to cook. My own fault for not starting to defrost it 3 months ago - still it was very tasty when it eventually cooked.

And now it's time for La Booze Continue.
Old Oct 10th 2011, 5:23 am

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

Well my turkey dinner took too long to cook. My own fault for not starting to defrost it 3 months ago - still it was very tasty when it eventually cooked.

And now it's time for La Booze Continue.

We went with woo woos (vodka, peach schnapps and cranberry juice) shooters which were very popular in my undergraduate days. Jolly tasty if not a little tacky, but very old skool.

Last edited by Oink; Oct 10th 2011 at 5:33 am.
Old Oct 10th 2011, 4:05 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond repute

They are going to try and Occupy Calgary next weekend - all carrying their Starbucks and Second Cup coffees ....
Old Oct 10th 2011, 9:18 pm
half a century

The4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond repute

Hmm I thought Vans was on Sat _ hubby was gonna take kids for a socials n politics lesson - and so he can sing Billy Bragg songs!