Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

Is now the time to buy Dollars?

Is now the time to buy Dollars?

Old Jun 21st 2013, 2:50 pm
Slob

Souvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Is now the time to buy Dollars?

Originally Posted by Shard View Post
Hard to see how the £ will appreciate (in the medium term) with a slacking economy and Carney at the helm. C$ could depreciate if global resource demand slows. My guess is 1.60-1.80 over the next two years.
I also do not see appreciation in the £. Depreciation in the loonie seems more likely and I would welcome it. Not terribly patriotic, I know, of me but getting back to the C$ being the peso of the north would make me wealthier.
Old Jun 22nd 2013, 9:55 pm
Grumpy Know-it-all

Steve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond repute

Meh, couldn't care less about sterling, the question to my mind is whether now is the time to buy US dollars because it looks to me as though the USD is going up sharply because everyone is expecting US interest rates to move up, so they're thinking about buying US bonds.
Old Jun 25th 2013, 3:03 am
Was in Canada, now home.

Editha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond repute

The loonie has actually taken a nose dive against the dollar and the pound in the last week.

I am painfully aware of this because I am in the process of selling a house in Canada and buying one in the UK. We don't get the proceeds of sale of our Canadian house until mid-July and then I will have to transfer the cash to the UK for completion on our purchase.

By the time I noticed the exchange rate was changing the loonie had gone into free-fall. I've taken out a future exchange contract to insure against any further losses. but in the meantime I've "lost" £9,000.

So the answer to the O.P's question on June 5th was yes, now on 24th June, not so much.
Old Jun 25th 2013, 3:49 am
BE Forum Addict

macadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by London-England-Lads View Post
Sorry, bad use of terminology, meant I am holding out for $2 for a pound. I know I may have a very, very long wait !
Much of my income (Pensions) is in Sterling. Were 2 for 1 the case, I could retire tomorrow!
Old Aug 21st 2013, 5:12 pm
Forum Regular

davedba has a reputation beyond reputedavedba has a reputation beyond reputedavedba has a reputation beyond reputedavedba has a reputation beyond reputedavedba has a reputation beyond reputedavedba has a reputation beyond reputedavedba has a reputation beyond reputedavedba has a reputation beyond reputedavedba has a reputation beyond reputedavedba has a reputation beyond reputedavedba has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by orly View Post
Around $1.63 has been the resistance point for about 3 years now.

If it gets above $1.65 for any length of time (talking weeks or months rather than minutes or hours) then more research might be needed.

If it dips back down again then it's business as usual.
$1.64 now and going up
Old Aug 21st 2013, 6:06 pm
The ride never ends

orly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by davedba View Post
$1.64 now and going up
Put some Canadian in charge of the BoE and look what happens