Not at all PC

Old Jul 30th 2007, 3:48 am
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Not at all PC

Originally Posted by montreal mike
Actually dbd I am hard-pressed to cite you any examples. But I hear this PC stuff all the time. Just look at TV, US or Canadian channels, it matters not. They love to over-use the words 'challenged' or 'impaired'.

Funny thing is some 30 years ago we used to watch 'Yes Minister' and 'Yes Prime Minister' on TV. Sir Humphrey, and to a lesser extent Bernard, just loved to put matters in a obscured or complicated light.

PC at its best.

This would infuriate Hacker who just wanted it said plainly with no sugar coating. It was a core theme of the series and it was done skillfully to make the audience laugh.

Nowadays though it is dead serious and no laughing matter.
I don't think it's anywhere near as bad as all that.

The Toronto Star, www.thestar.com, is about as PC as papers get. I searched for "challenged" and "impaired". On the first page of hits there is only one that arguably uses challenged in the manner described and that's a silly piece in which the network NBC is described as "ratings challenged".
Old Jul 30th 2007, 3:51 am
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Over in the big league, www.guardian.co.uk, we can read that Penélope Cruz is eyelash challenged.

It seems to me that this usage indicates an awareness on the part of the author that this use of "challenged" is now trite, even camp.
Old Jul 30th 2007, 3:56 am
BE Forum Addict

daft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by RobinHood
Watching out for physical abuse of certain individuals based on a faith belief in "spiritual possession." Is that bizzare enough for you.
Its bizarre in my world certainly. I wouldnt have a clue how to recognise it either. Is it common in your part of the world??
Old Jul 30th 2007, 4:05 am
BE Forum Addict

montreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond repute

ratings challenged; eyelash challenged; my point exactly

So maybe Batty or Judy can answer this one: How would they describe a guy who is not exactly well hung? And that is putting it most politely. Would he be penis-challenged? yes or no?
Old Jul 30th 2007, 4:07 am
Assimilated Pauper

Well, no, look I know you Brits don't do irony, but the usage there is mocking the perception that "challenged" is commonly used as you describe.
Old Jul 30th 2007, 4:09 am
Now on Vancouver Island

Judy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond repute

So maybe Batty or Judy can answer this one: How would they describe a guy who is not exactly well hung? And that is putting it most politely. Would he be penis-challenged? yes or no?
I can't speak for Batty, but I would say he suffers from SCS (small c0ck syndrome).
Old Jul 30th 2007, 4:22 am
BE Forum Addict

daft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond repute

Words are important. We see it here all the time when something is written, meant one way and taken to mean another.

I am miffed that I cant use the word deaf to describe myself. I struggle to find a word or phrase that describes my hearing loss.
  • Hard of hearing seems weak, and most people think that the volume is turned down a bit.
  • Hearing impaired sounds like i need some wax clearing out.
  • Deaf - well this is a whole cultural thing, see earlier posts, I briefly toyed with the idea of learning sign language and went to a class or two. The Deaf teachers, ie those that use sign language and are non verbal, were very annoyed at me for saying that I am partially deaf. They say I am a hearing person and so cannot use the D word to describe myself
  • Partially deaf. I like this as it implies I cant hear somethings but can others
  • Deafened, this is meant to describe someone who had hearing but who lost it.
So many terms and none of them convey the situation accurately.

The only one i get annoyed with is the Deaf and Dumb scenario. Words have power and to run the two words together is to link them in peoples minds.
I get more upset by actions. People who dont bother to include me in a conversation, or who turn away from me so i cant see what they are saying, who tell me what I am capable off doing when they havent a clue, accuse me of selective deafness.

A blind woman I know doesnt understand that I mustnt say I am deaf, as she says, she uses a white stick, she can see, and she is also blind.

Its important not to define people by their disability, to see the person not the disability. People do say " move for the wheelchair" no mention of the person. etc etc

Its a huge complex subject, as long as we try to help and not insult by speech or actions then we cant really do much more in everyday life. The overly zealous PC police antagonise and cause more harm than good

phew, rant over.

This homesickness lark makes me angry it seems
Old Jul 30th 2007, 4:23 am
BE Forum Addict

As a friend not a lover?
Old Jul 30th 2007, 4:30 am
Assimilated Pauper

Originally Posted by batty-x-ray
Its important not to define people by their disability, to see the person not the disability.
Hence "person with autism" instead of "autistic person". Which strikes me as being absurd. A disability as profound as autism really does define the person.
Old Jul 30th 2007, 4:41 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by dbd33
Hence "person with autism" instead of "autistic person". Which strikes me as being absurd. A disability as profound as autism really does define the person.
I see your point there. I think it started with trying to stop the use of spastic, mental, cripple. The Deaf dont like being called hearing impaired. I dont see whats wrong with that, my hearing is impaired.

Not all PCness is rubbish though, you have to start somewhere and the problem is knowing when to stop.
Old Jul 30th 2007, 5:05 am
Canadian Outlaw

RobinHood is a name known to allRobinHood is a name known to allRobinHood is a name known to allRobinHood is a name known to allRobinHood is a name known to allRobinHood is a name known to allRobinHood is a name known to allRobinHood is a name known to allRobinHood is a name known to allRobinHood is a name known to allRobinHood is a name known to all

Its bizarre in my world certainly. I wouldnt have a clue how to recognise it either. Is it common in your part of the world??
Apparently so. And quoting from the text - having red hot chilli peppers rubbed in ones genitals is a sure sign that an individual is being abused due to a belief in spiritual possession.

I'll PM you the link if you'll keep it to yourself. I'm serious about me possibly losing my job. Oooo the tales I could tell...
Old Jul 30th 2007, 9:59 am
BE Forum Addict

montreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond repute

Words are important. We see it here all the time when something is written, meant one way and taken to mean another.

I am miffed that I cant use the word deaf to describe myself. I struggle to find a word or phrase that describes my hearing loss.
  • Hard of hearing seems weak, and most people think that the volume is turned down a bit.
  • Hearing impaired sounds like i need some wax clearing out.
  • Deaf - well this is a whole cultural thing, see earlier posts, I briefly toyed with the idea of learning sign language and went to a class or two. The Deaf teachers, ie those that use sign language and are non verbal, were very annoyed at me for saying that I am partially deaf. They say I am a hearing person and so cannot use the D word to describe myself
  • Partially deaf. I like this as it implies I cant hear somethings but can others
  • Deafened, this is meant to describe someone who had hearing but who lost it.
So many terms and none of them convey the situation accurately.

The only one i get annoyed with is the Deaf and Dumb scenario. Words have power and to run the two words together is to link them in peoples minds.
I get more upset by actions. People who dont bother to include me in a conversation, or who turn away from me so i cant see what they are saying, who tell me what I am capable off doing when they havent a clue, accuse me of selective deafness.

A blind woman I know doesnt understand that I mustnt say I am deaf, as she says, she uses a white stick, she can see, and she is also blind.

Its important not to define people by their disability, to see the person not the disability. People do say " move for the wheelchair" no mention of the person. etc etc

Its a huge complex subject, as long as we try to help and not insult by speech or actions then we cant really do much more in everyday life. The overly zealous PC police antagonise and cause more harm than good

phew, rant over.

This homesickness lark makes me angry it seems
Batty .. 'hard of hearing' seems perfectly OK to me.

And I must agree with you here that the overzealous PC police cause more harm than good.

I aso suspect those PC types are mostly well intentioned but absolute zealots who try to put ones defects in the best possible light. Problem is that if I am a cripple or lame, blind, or dumb (and I don't mean stupid here) nothing will change even if I describe myself in the most euphemistic of phrases.
Old Jul 30th 2007, 10:05 am
Now on Vancouver Island

Judy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond repute

And I must agree with you here that the overzealous PC police cause more harm than good.

I aso suspect those PC types are mostly well intentioned but absolute zealots who try to put ones defects in the best possible light. Problem is that if I am a cripple or lame, blind, or dumb (and I don't mean stupid here) nothing will change even if I describe myself in the most euphemistic of phrases.
I agree with you, Mike. But the opposite is true too. If I have to censor myself to ensure that I'm not using weak, euphamistic, PC words and that I am using robust, earthy, honest words, then that is a form of political correctness in itself. At this point I can't be arsed either way.
Old Jul 30th 2007, 11:14 am
BE Enthusiast

DaveTheCat is just really niceDaveTheCat is just really niceDaveTheCat is just really niceDaveTheCat is just really niceDaveTheCat is just really niceDaveTheCat is just really niceDaveTheCat is just really niceDaveTheCat is just really niceDaveTheCat is just really niceDaveTheCat is just really niceDaveTheCat is just really nice

Words are important.
Definitely. See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sapir%E...orf_hypothesis
for a good scientific dose of language psychology. HWP was definitely right in her (initial) argument.
Having said that, PC is nothing else than wooden language, "wooden language (calque of the French expression langue de bois) refers to a diverting of attention from reality by using certain words, such as banalities too abstract or pompous, either appealing to sentiment rather than to facts." (cf. Wikipedia or the dictionary of your choice).
PC is not dangerous; it may be boring, but not dangerous. Those who use PC to manipulate people, are. Politicians, managers... you know who they are.

Last edited by DaveTheCat; Jul 30th 2007 at 11:17 am.
Old Jul 30th 2007, 12:37 pm
BE Forum Addict

Batty .. This seems apropos

... deaf culture has always considered the label "Deaf" as an affirming statement of group membership and not insulting or disparaging in any way. The term now often substituted for the term "deaf", hearing-impaired, was developed to include people with hearing loss due to aging, accidents, and other causes. While more accurate for those uses, the term "hearing-impaired" is considered highly derogatory by many deaf people. The term "Hard of Hearing," however, is considered an acceptable descriptive term for a limited- to non-hearing person.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Political_correctness

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.