Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

No wonder there is such a drinking culture in the UK!

No wonder there is such a drinking culture in the UK!

Old Aug 17th 2010, 8:13 pm
half a century

The4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond repute
Default No wonder there is such a drinking culture in the UK!

Just back from a day trip to France - which used to excite me no end.....

On bard the boat I had a mooch in the "duty Free" shop - 3 x 3l boxes of Kumala or similar wine for £24,that's bout $38, the same price as a box of naked grape in BC !!!

I didnt want to look at the other prices after that !
Old Aug 17th 2010, 8:16 pm
Account Closed

fledermaus is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: No wonder there is such a drinking culture in the UK!

Originally Posted by The4BellsLondon
Just back from a day trip to France - which used to excite me no end.....

On bard the boat I had a mooch in the "duty Free" shop - 3 x 3l boxes of Kumala or similar wine for £24,that's bout $38, the same price as a box of naked grape in BC !!!

I didnt want to look at the other prices after that !
A box of naked grape??? What size??

How much in the offy though rather than compare duty free?
Old Aug 17th 2010, 8:19 pm
half a century

The4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by fledermaus
A box of naked grape??? What size??

How much in the offy though rather than compare duty free?
A 3l box of naked grape in BC liquor is usually 39.99 - was on special to 29.99 tother week.

Not sure of prices in Offy here but did here some one moaning that the prices on ship werent much different to Tesco! Before I let you could get 3 bottles of cava for a tenner!
Old Aug 17th 2010, 9:42 pm
BE Forum Addict

CanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond repute

Meh, the drinking culture is caused by social dysfunction in my opinion. Prices don't really affect consumption, look at Spain, you can get a nice bottle of Wine for less than 1 euro! Canada's approach is just to have liquor stores which keeps alcohol segregated, but I think UK/Canada/US culture really needs to adopt the Mediterranean approach, bringing up children in an environment where alcohol is a social drink that isn't anything special, just part of life.
Old Aug 17th 2010, 10:08 pm

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by CanadaJimmy
Meh, the drinking culture is caused by social dysfunction in my opinion. Prices don't really affect consumption, look at Spain, you can get a nice bottle of Wine for less than 1 euro! Canada's approach is just to have liquor stores which keeps alcohol segregated, but I think UK/Canada/US culture really needs to adopt the Mediterranean approach, bringing up children in an environment where alcohol is a social drink that isn't anything special, just part of life.
This argument is completely without support or evidence and is the same old hackneyed stuff trotted out by the finger waving self-satisfied. Actually Spain has one of Europe’s worst underage drinking problems. Because of cheap alcohol most a lot kids start drinking at 12 or 13, drink openly on the street to the point of severe intoxication which creates the corresponding social pathologies.

Spain trying to deal with its underage drinking culture
Old Aug 17th 2010, 10:26 pm

Alan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Oink
This argument is completely without support or evidence and is the same old hackneyed stuff trotted out by the finger waving self-satisfied. Actually Spain has one of Europe’s worst underage drinking problems. Because of cheap alcohol most a lot kids start drinking at 12 or 13, drink openly on the street to the point of severe intoxication which creates the corresponding social pathologies.

Spain trying to deal with its underage drinking culture
It's cafe culture init. We should be sat on patios drinking expensive euro-lager and behaving sophisticatedly.
Old Aug 17th 2010, 10:43 pm

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Alan2005
It's cafe culture init. We should be sat on patios drinking expensive euro-lager and behaving sophisticatedly.
Or you are sitting around the 400 year old family diner table where 6 year olds eat beluga caviar while knowledgably sipping vintage Bordeaux from their family’s vineyard. Don’t you feel sorry for British kids washing their Findus crispy pancakes down with White Lightening?
Old Aug 18th 2010, 8:23 am
half a century

Or you are sitting around the 400 year old family diner table where 6 year olds eat beluga caviar while knowledgably sipping vintage Bordeaux from their family’s vineyard. Don’t you feel sorry for British kids washing their Findus crispy pancakes down with White Lightening?
Dam =- found out!

Anway - the point of the thread was really just to moan about the Canadian prices!
Old Aug 18th 2010, 12:44 pm
Slob

Souvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond repute

Dam =- found out!

Anway - the point of the thread was really just to moan about the Canadian prices!
I don't think Canadian prices are set by the retailers. In Quebec, at least, the minimum price is fixed by the provincial government. A 24 will cost the same in Costco as in a supermarket or a corner store. They all sell booze as cheaply as they are allowed.
Old Aug 18th 2010, 1:32 pm
Dive Bar Drunk

JamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond repute

Dam =- found out!

Don't get me started- I am currently in dispute with the Beer Store over a $100 keg of keith's that will not fit in my beer fridge.

It's a desert with out rain -(
Old Aug 18th 2010, 5:39 pm
BE Forum Addict

CanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond repute

This argument is completely without support or evidence and is the same old hackneyed stuff trotted out by the finger waving self-satisfied.
You make it sound like I haven't witnessed it first hand, which I have. Children are not segregated and go into bars with their parents. All this makes it seem incredibly normal and nothing special. I have seen young people at an outdoor concert dancing like crazy whilst drinking bottled water, not alcohol.

This is the first time I've heard logical thought referred to as finger waving.

Actually Spain has one of Europe’s worst underage drinking problems.
I find that difficult to believe. It may have a large amount of underage consumption, for example, watered down wine for the kids, but I wouldn't define that as a problem. I was unable to find any statistics on what countries have the worst underage drinking problems, on Nationmaster nor on Google.

Because of cheap alcohol most a lot kids start drinking at 12 or 13, drink openly on the street to the point of severe intoxication which creates the corresponding social pathologies.
Never witnessed alcohol being consumed on the street once in my time in Spain. Other than people sat outside at a cafe with a bottle of red. And this is after spending months there with my parents who lived there for a short time.

Why have you linked to this with the header "Spain trying to deal with its underage drinking culture" when the article is titled "Spain moves on youth binge drinking". The former sounds more like there's an established negative culture, which I think is a pretty cheap move personally.

The article itself sounds a lot more "finger waving", with lines such as "The survey further showed that young people did not appear to recognise alcohol consumption as dangerous.", well thats because, when consumed moderately, it isn't. The survey itself only asked if there was alcohol consumed, not the quantity. Drinking moderate amounts of alcohol socially is part of Spanish life, so seeing that it was consumed by a large percentage is not "worrying data" as the article suggests, but merely a reflection on the culture.

Consuming alcohol, even underage, is not a bad thing if it's in a social context in my opinion.
Old Aug 18th 2010, 6:09 pm
Lowering the tone

Jingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by CanadaJimmy
I have seen young people at an outdoor concert dancing like crazy whilst drinking bottled water, not alcohol.
<snigger>... oh, the naivety...
Old Aug 18th 2010, 6:11 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jingsamichty
I too loved that, I reached for my "Ibiza - History of House" CD.
Old Aug 18th 2010, 6:37 pm
Slightly Canadian

Atlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jingsamichty
I believe, as the song goes, that 'Ebenezer's good'?
Old Aug 18th 2010, 7:04 pm
slanderer of the innocent

ExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond repute

har. yes. bottles of water.

ahem.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.