Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

Nexus program - any guidance?

Nexus program - any guidance?

Old Apr 12th 2010, 3:15 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Almost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Nexus program - any guidance?

Originally Posted by dbd33
Literally?
Have you any reason to doubt that hundreds have not thanked him/her? Not everyone, including you, thinks that living in Canada is all sunshine and sweet smells
Old Apr 12th 2010, 3:24 am
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Almost Canadian
Have you any reason to doubt that hundreds have not thanked him/her?
I doubt that hundreds have thanked him or her because there aren't hundreds of active posters.
Old Apr 12th 2010, 3:34 am
Slob

Souvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond repute

I doubt that hundreds have thanked him or her because there aren't hundreds of active posters.
Maybe he/she posts on other fora?
Old Apr 12th 2010, 3:38 am
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Souvy
Maybe he/she posts on other fora?
That crossed my mind but moving to Canada is rather a special interest, surely there aren't hundreds of English speaking people in the world who would be considering it, nevermind hundreds who are grateful for being alerted to the nature of the weather in Canada.
Old Apr 12th 2010, 4:06 am
G77
BE Forum Addict

G77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond repute

Hmm - may have to consider this when I'm eligible, since the Nexus lanes crossing into Detroit are always empty and sometimes have to wait an hour in the general lanes....

Having to go back to the Nexus office each time you get a new I94-W sounds like a royal pain though - may make it not worth it!
Old Apr 12th 2010, 5:14 am
BE Enthusiast

canadian_critic is a splendid one to beholdcanadian_critic is a splendid one to beholdcanadian_critic is a splendid one to beholdcanadian_critic is a splendid one to beholdcanadian_critic is a splendid one to beholdcanadian_critic is a splendid one to beholdcanadian_critic is a splendid one to beholdcanadian_critic is a splendid one to beholdcanadian_critic is a splendid one to beholdcanadian_critic is a splendid one to beholdcanadian_critic is a splendid one to behold

May be people here don't realize but there's an underground on this forum. People who monitor but rarely post. They feel intimidated by the regulars for various reasons. They may not respond to posts that they disagree with but they still hold a strong opinion. And they support points of view privately without hesitation.

I'm not one of those people. I don't mind people knowing I disagree with them and accept that others may not agree with me. But some of my previous posts have inspired others to PM me expressing their own views, which in some cases are way stronger than my own. Some even border on anti-Candian racism. I don't agree with all private posts I receive, of course, but in some cases they spotlight something that my post barely scratched the surface of.

When I say hundreds I'm considering all my posts over many years under this ID and my previous IDs. I haven't counted them but that's not the point. The point is that I am sometimes getting several personal responses to a single post, from aliases I've never heard of. I'm being challenged here on my numbers but I think people are really challenging my claim of having any kind of support.

I mention this here because if you only consider the public forum I may be seen as a lone wolf. In effect I have a pretty strong advocacy network. It's a shame that this support is an underground network. People are different and not everyone feels comfortable with openly challenging others. In my case doing so is simply in my nature.

And of course there's the inevitable retort which we see here, i.e. challenging my claim. For the few that do speak out in the open forum, I've even had others convince themselves this is just me making up a fresh ID to add strength to my case. Some people here have a real problem with others' opinions, to the point that they make up baloney when they start seeing support growing in favour of an opposing view. That's more a personality defect on their part, which is why I don't take offence with at such accusations.

I frequently ask myself why I spend so much time writing responses here. The truth is this forum has helped me immensely over the years and I'm contributing back. I don't expect everyone to like everything that I say, but providing an overall balanced view is far more valuable to a newbie than one that is stacked. Many private messages I get suggest this forum is significantly biased.

The danger is that newbies approach this forum as part of their research into emigrating. But most will be already sold on the idea of emigrating to Canada by the time they reach this forum. A forum which is biased is not only of limited value but also a potential danger. So I don't make apologies for giving my opinion, particularly when it's evident that in most cases i represent more than just myself in my views.
Old Apr 12th 2010, 5:29 am
Slightly Canadian

Atlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by canadian_critic
When I say hundreds I'm considering all my posts over many years under this ID and my previous IDs. .
For those of us who haven't kept up to speed with the multiple ID's, could you provide a list of the ID's you've posted under through the years? For context, if you will.
Old Apr 12th 2010, 5:34 am
Assimilated Pauper

I'm being challenged here on my numbers but I think people are really challenging my claim of having any kind of support.
No. I'm just doubting your numbers.
Old Apr 12th 2010, 6:30 am

Alan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond repute

May be people here don't realize but there's an underground on this forum. People who monitor but rarely post. They feel intimidated by the regulars for various reasons. They may not respond to posts that they disagree with but they still hold a strong opinion. And they support points of view privately without hesitation.

I'm not one of those people. I don't mind people knowing I disagree with them and accept that others may not agree with me. But some of my previous posts have inspired others to PM me expressing their own views, which in some cases are way stronger than my own. Some even border on anti-Candian racism. I don't agree with all private posts I receive, of course, but in some cases they spotlight something that my post barely scratched the surface of.

When I say hundreds I'm considering all my posts over many years under this ID and my previous IDs. I haven't counted them but that's not the point. The point is that I am sometimes getting several personal responses to a single post, from aliases I've never heard of. I'm being challenged here on my numbers but I think people are really challenging my claim of having any kind of support.

I mention this here because if you only consider the public forum I may be seen as a lone wolf. In effect I have a pretty strong advocacy network. It's a shame that this support is an underground network. People are different and not everyone feels comfortable with openly challenging others. In my case doing so is simply in my nature.

And of course there's the inevitable retort which we see here, i.e. challenging my claim. For the few that do speak out in the open forum, I've even had others convince themselves this is just me making up a fresh ID to add strength to my case. Some people here have a real problem with others' opinions, to the point that they make up baloney when they start seeing support growing in favour of an opposing view. That's more a personality defect on their part, which is why I don't take offence with at such accusations.

I frequently ask myself why I spend so much time writing responses here. The truth is this forum has helped me immensely over the years and I'm contributing back. I don't expect everyone to like everything that I say, but providing an overall balanced view is far more valuable to a newbie than one that is stacked. Many private messages I get suggest this forum is significantly biased.

The danger is that newbies approach this forum as part of their research into emigrating. But most will be already sold on the idea of emigrating to Canada by the time they reach this forum. A forum which is biased is not only of limited value but also a potential danger. So I don't make apologies for giving my opinion, particularly when it's evident that in most cases i represent more than just myself in my views.
I quite like your contributions (and I also find the reactionary responses quite funny too) but there really is no need to pretend you are some lone crusader on behalf of those that are too timid to post.

Then again, the site just crashed: was it under the weight of PM's agreeing with you?
Old Apr 12th 2010, 6:39 am
Slightly Canadian

Atlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Alan2005
Then again, the site just crashed: was it under the weight of PM's agreeing with you?
I had the same thought.
Old Apr 12th 2010, 7:29 am
Binned by Muderators

JonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond repute

I quite like your contributions (and I also find the reactionary responses quite funny too) but there really is no need to pretend you are some lone crusader on behalf of those that are too timid to post.

To paraphrase:

"If it falls to me to start a fight to cut out the cancer of bent and twisted posting on BE.com with the simple sword of truth and the trusty shield of British fair play, so be it. I am ready for the fight. The fight against falsehood and those who peddle it. My fight begins today. Thank you and good afternoon."
Old Apr 12th 2010, 8:00 am
Binned by Muderators

JonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond repute

... but providing an overall balanced view is far more valuable ...
Agree with you 100% on this. Balance is very important.
Old Apr 12th 2010, 9:22 am
Magnificently Withering

Oakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JonboyE
To paraphrase:

"If it falls to me to start a fight to cut out the cancer of bent and twisted posting on BE.com with the simple sword of truth and the trusty shield of British fair play, so be it. I am ready for the fight. The fight against falsehood and those who peddle it. My fight begins today. Thank you and good afternoon."
Thank you Mr Aitken, the cheque's in the post.
Old Apr 12th 2010, 9:30 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Almost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond repute

I s/he is not pretending, s/he must have an outfit. I wonder if s/he wears his/her pants outside his/her pants.

I always play devil's advocate on here. It's no fun being on the side of the majority. People take their posts far too seriously.
Old Apr 12th 2010, 10:26 am
BE Enthusiast

canadian_critic is a splendid one to beholdcanadian_critic is a splendid one to beholdcanadian_critic is a splendid one to beholdcanadian_critic is a splendid one to beholdcanadian_critic is a splendid one to beholdcanadian_critic is a splendid one to beholdcanadian_critic is a splendid one to beholdcanadian_critic is a splendid one to beholdcanadian_critic is a splendid one to beholdcanadian_critic is a splendid one to beholdcanadian_critic is a splendid one to behold

Thank you for your comment. I enjoy comments that go against my own views, partly because it helps me question whether I'm talking out of my ass or not. I'm not the first to admit when this happens, but who is?!

Regarding the lone wolf (crusader) this is just the appearance, and not how it actually is. There really are quite a few people who spike up when something controversial is being discussed, but who do so privately; some rarely contributing anything in the public domain.

I won't identify these people for obvious reasons. Also, and relating to another question, I'd rather not identify any other IDs I've used in the past. I have provided a moderator with these and the reasons which he accepted under the circumstances. I only ever use the most recent ID, and certainly never post with multiple accounts to fake advocacy in my posts. Also I have no plans to retire the cc identity. I love it because it kicks up a bit of a storm before I've even typed anything, but I will let time demonstrate that I'm no troll.

Cheers.