Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

Newfoundland Utility/monthly bills

Newfoundland Utility/monthly bills

Old Oct 30th 2007, 10:32 pm
BE Enthusiast

the_tones_guy has a reputation beyond reputethe_tones_guy has a reputation beyond reputethe_tones_guy has a reputation beyond reputethe_tones_guy has a reputation beyond reputethe_tones_guy has a reputation beyond reputethe_tones_guy has a reputation beyond reputethe_tones_guy has a reputation beyond reputethe_tones_guy has a reputation beyond reputethe_tones_guy has a reputation beyond reputethe_tones_guy has a reputation beyond reputethe_tones_guy has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Newfoundland Utility/monthly bills

Hiya - I have done a monthly budget planner and guestimated what I think my monthly costs will be, problem is, I have absolutely no idea if I came close or am way off the mark with these guestimations.

I wonder if anyone out there can help?

We are looking to buy a 2,500/3,000 sq foot 2 story place, probably CBS, Mt Pearl or St John's (not downtown).

I have based my spreadsheet on what my current monthly outgoings are and following is what will be going out each month.

I would be very very interested in how much things actually cost:

Poll/House Tax
Medical + Dental Insurance (2 adults + 2 children 11 & 5)
Gas
Electricity
Water Rates
House Life Insurance (based on a $60,000 mortgage)
Mobile Phone
House + Contents Insurance
Home Phone + Broadband + 1 x Mobile phone
Insurance (3 x dogs 13yo/8yo/2yo)
Car Insurance (small family car with 3 years no claims)
Car Insurance (large family car with full no claims)
Life Insurance

Are there any other costs you can think of that I would not have thought of?

It's a big ask, but I hope you can help.

Thanks in advance.

Chris.
Old May 14th 2008, 7:29 am
Forum Regular

scooby101 will become famous soon enoughscooby101 will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Newfoundland Utility/monthly bills

Originally Posted by the_tones_guy
Hiya - I have done a monthly budget planner and guestimated what I think my monthly costs will be, problem is, I have absolutely no idea if I came close or am way off the mark with these guestimations.

I wonder if anyone out there can help?

We are looking to buy a 2,500/3,000 sq foot 2 story place, probably CBS, Mt Pearl or St John's (not downtown).

I have based my spreadsheet on what my current monthly outgoings are and following is what will be going out each month.

I would be very very interested in how much things actually cost:

Poll/House Tax
Medical + Dental Insurance (2 adults + 2 children 11 & 5)
Gas
Electricity
Water Rates
House Life Insurance (based on a $60,000 mortgage)
Mobile Phone
House + Contents Insurance
Home Phone + Broadband + 1 x Mobile phone
Insurance (3 x dogs 13yo/8yo/2yo)
Car Insurance (small family car with 3 years no claims)
Car Insurance (large family car with full no claims)
Life Insurance

Are there any other costs you can think of that I would not have thought of?

It's a big ask, but I hope you can help.

Thanks in advance.

Chris.
Hi
I am new to the forum but have come across your thread. We moved to Newfoundland in Oct 07 so if you still need the answers to your questions let me know and i will get them for you.
Jo
Old May 14th 2008, 9:56 am
BE Enthusiast

the_tones_guy has a reputation beyond reputethe_tones_guy has a reputation beyond reputethe_tones_guy has a reputation beyond reputethe_tones_guy has a reputation beyond reputethe_tones_guy has a reputation beyond reputethe_tones_guy has a reputation beyond reputethe_tones_guy has a reputation beyond reputethe_tones_guy has a reputation beyond reputethe_tones_guy has a reputation beyond reputethe_tones_guy has a reputation beyond reputethe_tones_guy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jpoole
Hi
I am new to the forum but have come across your thread. We moved to Newfoundland in Oct 07 so if you still need the answers to your questions let me know and i will get them for you.
Jo
Well Hi Jo, pleased to meet you, I have been here since Feb and in fact I flying to the UK on Friday this week to close on the house and then fly back, as a family, on Saturday 24th May.

It begs the question.......I thought I had met all the Brits for BE in the every so popular 'Sunday Morning Brunch Club'.

Are there more BE'ers out there on the Rock?

Where are you in NL?

Chris.
Old May 14th 2008, 10:41 am
Forum Regular

scooby101 will become famous soon enoughscooby101 will become famous soon enough

Well Hi Jo, pleased to meet you, I have been here since Feb and in fact I flying to the UK on Friday this week to close on the house and then fly back, as a family, on Saturday 24th May.

It begs the question.......I thought I had met all the Brits for BE in the every so popular 'Sunday Morning Brunch Club'.

Are there more BE'ers out there on the Rock?

Where are you in NL?

Chris.

Hi Chris
Excellent! Glad to know there are more of us on the rock.
We are in St Johns. How about you? My husband has met one other expat through work.
We have two children aged 10 and 11. We came here with my WP and we are now both working.
You must be so happy to be finally bringing over the rest of the family.
What stage in the PR are you at?

Jo
Old May 14th 2008, 10:47 am
BE Enthusiast

Cool - well, I have been (and am still at) Hillview Terrace Suites on Torbay Rd, and we will be here as a family until our furnature comes (mid June).

We bought a place in Paradise, we close out on this on Wednesday 28th May, so have a crazy 2 weeks ahead.

Regarding PR, I have done 90% of the paperwork, Vicky (the wife) needs to just do a couple of sheets and then they will be submitted, we are using PF Collins on Duckworth, they are great.

Which of the BE's did you/your hubby meet?

I bet I can guess........AX?

He knows everyone - lol.

C
Old May 14th 2008, 10:57 am
Forum Regular

Cool - well, I have been (and am still at) Hillview Terrace Suites on Torbay Rd, and we will be here as a family until our furnature comes (mid June).

we close out on this on Wednesday 28th May, so have a crazy 2 weeks ahead.

Regarding PR, I have done 90% of the paperwork, Vicky (the wife) needs to just do a couple of sheets and then they will be submitted, we are using PF Collins on Duckworth, they are great.

Which of the BE's did you/your hubby meet?

I bet I can guess........AX?

He knows everyone - lol.

C
We too have sold the house in the UK. Paradise is lovely, we like the houses and area there too, But havent decided on anything definite yet.
So are you applying for PR under 'arranged employment'? This seems to be the quickest route. Thats what we did and we are almost at the final stage.

The guy my hubby met has been living here for three years, his wife is Canadian from Newfoundland.

Last edited by scooby101; May 14th 2008 at 11:44 am.
Old May 14th 2008, 11:09 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by jpoole
We are on Highland Dr renting at the moment! We too have sold the house in the UK. Paradise is lovely, we like the houses and area there too, But havent decided on anything definite yet.
So are you applying for PR under 'arranged employment'? This seems to be the quickest route. Thats what we did and we are almost at the final stage.

The guy my hubby met has been living here for three years, his wife is Canadian from Newfoundland.

Right now the housing market is really hot here, the 'come from aways' are pushing the prices up, it's a huge difference from the depression/resession in the UK now.

I am glad to be a whisker away from being on the ladder here.

So where are you both working? I work at Downhome over near the Village Mall, and Vicky will sort the house and stuff out for a couple of months, she wants to go to work, but we'll see how that goes as the year pans out.

And my PR is being done under PNP, I am told that's the quickest way, but there a few boxes you have to tick (which more by luck than judhgement, I do). I am told we should be PR within 6 to 18 months.

11 and 12......what type are they, We have a 11 year old daughter and a 5 year old son?

C

Last edited by the_tones_guy; May 14th 2008 at 11:18 am. Reason: cos I am an idiot
Old May 14th 2008, 11:16 am
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

LOL, I knew it was Atlanticxpat (), his Mrs is xx and they live over yyy way, I am pleased to be moving close to them, they are lovely people.
Yes, he s a nice bloke, but if he wanted his real name and that of his wife and his neighbourhood posted on here, he would have done it himself. Have a bit of common sense.

Last edited by Novocastrian; May 14th 2008 at 11:23 am.
Old May 14th 2008, 11:19 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Novocastrian
Yes, he s a nice bloke, but if he wanted his real name and that of his wife and his neighbourhood posted on here, he would have done it himself. Have a bit of common sense.
good point, sorry. editted now, you might also want to edit your post too.
Old May 14th 2008, 11:22 am
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

good point, sorry. editted now, you might also want to edit your post too.
Fine. There's nothing in mine that needs editing.
Oh. The quote. OK.
Old May 14th 2008, 11:26 am
Fluffy Dippindoodle

pinkmcfarquhar has a reputation beyond reputepinkmcfarquhar has a reputation beyond reputepinkmcfarquhar has a reputation beyond reputepinkmcfarquhar has a reputation beyond reputepinkmcfarquhar has a reputation beyond reputepinkmcfarquhar has a reputation beyond reputepinkmcfarquhar has a reputation beyond reputepinkmcfarquhar has a reputation beyond reputepinkmcfarquhar has a reputation beyond reputepinkmcfarquhar has a reputation beyond reputepinkmcfarquhar has a reputation beyond repute

I'm here as well! In Outer Cove - v. foggy at the moment though.
Old May 14th 2008, 11:29 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by pinkmcfarquhar
I'm here as well! In Outer Cove - v. foggy at the moment though.
Hiya.....let's just call you pink McFQ....LOL.

I finished TPB's, loved all the special features too, the bloopers, crack me up. Specially when Bubs get's it wrong.

Anyway.....PinkMc, let me introduce you to Jo, Jo is down the Rd, another recruti to the Sunday AM brunch club.

Well 1 more day and i'm on a jet plane. There's a party Sat night, can't wait.
C
Old May 14th 2008, 11:35 am
Fluffy Dippindoodle

pinkmcfarquhar has a reputation beyond reputepinkmcfarquhar has a reputation beyond reputepinkmcfarquhar has a reputation beyond reputepinkmcfarquhar has a reputation beyond reputepinkmcfarquhar has a reputation beyond reputepinkmcfarquhar has a reputation beyond reputepinkmcfarquhar has a reputation beyond reputepinkmcfarquhar has a reputation beyond reputepinkmcfarquhar has a reputation beyond reputepinkmcfarquhar has a reputation beyond reputepinkmcfarquhar has a reputation beyond repute

What time you leaving on Friday? Bet you're hoping the fog lifts by then.

I'm sure you're counting down the hours until you see the family again - it's been a fair while. Your feet aren't going to touch the ground next week with all the stuff you have to do - then in 10 days time you will all be back here (in time to go out for brunch!)

have you invested in a bubbles t-shirt yet then?
Old May 14th 2008, 11:41 am
BE Enthusiast

yes was a bit concerned about the fog, hope it lifts by Friday, should be fine I'm sure.

I really want the GB shirt, just a green shirt, with G.B. on it. (no....not Great Britain).

I paid the movers today, that hurt. got to book and pay the dog flights tomorrow too, that's also gonna hurt, PF Collins can get the dogs here from Halifax, so I am happy not to have to drive it.

Rental car goes back tomoz, got to sign a load of mortgage papers tomorrow too and then got to sort my packing Friday morning.

Looking forward to going back though, can't wait to see em all.

The dogs are going to go crazy!!

Whence we are all back, I'll put a brunch request out and then introduce you to Vic and the kids.

I AM SO EXCITED!!!
Old May 14th 2008, 11:47 am
Forum Regular

Right now the housing market is really hot here, the 'come from aways' are pushing the prices up, it's a huge difference from the depression/resession in the UK now.

I am glad to be a whisker away from being on the ladder here.

So where are you both working? I work at Downhome over near the Village Mall, and Vicky will sort the house and stuff out for a couple of months, she wants to go to work, but we'll see how that goes as the year pans out.

And my PR is being done under PNP, I am told that's the quickest way, but there a few boxes you have to tick (which more by luck than judhgement, I do). I am told we should be PR within 6 to 18 months.

11 and 12......what type are they, We have a 11 year old daughter and a 5 year old son?

C
We are both working in st johns. We have an almost 10 year daughter and a 11 year old boy.
Have a good flight and enjoy your party saturday night.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.