Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

Newbie to Canadian Winter one tip?????

Newbie to Canadian Winter one tip?????

Old Oct 12th 2009, 1:39 pm

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Newbie to Canadian Winter one tip?????

You might want to buy some mittens and a hat.
Old Oct 12th 2009, 2:45 pm
Banned

Location: I refuse to answer on the grounds it may incriminate me
Luke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Almost Canadian
Is this to avoid the gas or you freezing? If the former, I fail to see how having more of it lowers the freezing point and, if it does freeze, surely it would be preferable to have space to allow the expansion of the ice?
Just about every car in the world will have water in the fuel tank, thats not the problem. It becomes a problem when you allow the percentage of water to rise to a point where a cold night will freeze it since you failed to keep your tank at least half full.
Old Oct 12th 2009, 6:52 pm
BE Forum Addict

pennyhp has a reputation beyond reputepennyhp has a reputation beyond reputepennyhp has a reputation beyond reputepennyhp has a reputation beyond reputepennyhp has a reputation beyond reputepennyhp has a reputation beyond reputepennyhp has a reputation beyond reputepennyhp has a reputation beyond reputepennyhp has a reputation beyond reputepennyhp has a reputation beyond reputepennyhp has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bellanova
Hi Nikki, just food for thought before you buy a snow blower, find out if anyone local will plow it for you, you know how long our drive is well it only cost us $25 a time to get it plowed and we only needed it doing twice last winter. Blowers are expensive and you think how long it will take to get your money back if it only costs you $20 ish bucks a time, just a thought, but the upshot of having a snowblower is that you can get yourself out quicker rather than wait for someone to get you out, although having said that lots of people do it as a second job in the winter and most of them plan in advance (within reason) and they come without being asked, but you have to make that arrangement with them before hand. The guy that lived in the house before us had an agreement with him that he would just come whenever and plow him out, but we didn't need this because we have the truck so most of the time we could get out.
The first winter we were here 2007/2008 a snow blower would have paid for it self several times over. We had a snow storm every Wednesday and one on the weekend for what seemed like months.

Also that man with the plough is going to be needed every winter. Once you have bought your snow blower it should last for a quite a few winters.
Its a good investment in my book. We don't regret buying ours.
Old Oct 12th 2009, 7:02 pm
Banned

Location: I refuse to answer on the grounds it may incriminate me
Luke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by pennyhp
The first winter we were here 2007/2008 a snow blower would have paid for it self several times over. We had a snow storm every Wednesday and one on the weekend for what seemed like months.

Also that man with the plough is going to be needed every winter. Once you have bought your snow blower it should last for a quite a few winters.
You dont even have to buy a new one either, plenty of used ones at reasonable prices.

When I was in NFLD I paid a guy to come around with his pick-up truck that had a plough. Problem was that if we had a big storm he would be too busy doing work for businesses to come to my house, so I would be stuck or late for work...
Old Oct 13th 2009, 4:37 am
Nova Scotia

Bellanova has a reputation beyond reputeBellanova has a reputation beyond reputeBellanova has a reputation beyond reputeBellanova has a reputation beyond reputeBellanova has a reputation beyond reputeBellanova has a reputation beyond reputeBellanova has a reputation beyond reputeBellanova has a reputation beyond reputeBellanova has a reputation beyond reputeBellanova has a reputation beyond reputeBellanova has a reputation beyond repute

Fair point, but never had a problem getting anyone to do it, there are tons of people around, I just think that a snowblower is a huge investment and one that we choose not to pay out for bearing in mind it only cost us $50 last year and when you are looking at $1500 + for a new one it will take a long time to get that money back plus our drive is about 300 foot long, it would take forever
Old Oct 13th 2009, 8:33 am
BE Forum Addict

pennyhp has a reputation beyond reputepennyhp has a reputation beyond reputepennyhp has a reputation beyond reputepennyhp has a reputation beyond reputepennyhp has a reputation beyond reputepennyhp has a reputation beyond reputepennyhp has a reputation beyond reputepennyhp has a reputation beyond reputepennyhp has a reputation beyond reputepennyhp has a reputation beyond reputepennyhp has a reputation beyond repute

Fair point, but never had a problem getting anyone to do it, there are tons of people around, I just think that a snowblower is a huge investment and one that we choose not to pay out for bearing in mind it only cost us $50 last year and when you are looking at $1500 + for a new one it will take a long time to get that money back plus our drive is about 300 foot long, it would take forever
Yeah I do take your point.
It all depends on what the winter throws at us.
Some of the snow ploughing guys charge by the storm and some by the season.
That first winter we were here the guys who charge by the season sure worked hard for their money, and the people who paid by the storm paid out big time. Other winters when there is not so much snow the situation reverses.
Over here you just never know. Its all part of Canada's charm
Old Oct 13th 2009, 8:52 am
Scottish Canuck

Cookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond repute

You should mention you have a huge Dodge Durango and found it easier to ride over the snow than most people would because your driveway is also pretty flat and sheltered by trees.

People in more exposed areas with uphill/downhill driveways will have drifting which can be caused by the mildest of winds. A lot of households use markers here to line their driveways because sometimes you just don't know where the ditches are and you don't want to land up in one of those
Old Oct 13th 2009, 9:16 am
Nova Scotia

Bellanova has a reputation beyond reputeBellanova has a reputation beyond reputeBellanova has a reputation beyond reputeBellanova has a reputation beyond reputeBellanova has a reputation beyond reputeBellanova has a reputation beyond reputeBellanova has a reputation beyond reputeBellanova has a reputation beyond reputeBellanova has a reputation beyond reputeBellanova has a reputation beyond reputeBellanova has a reputation beyond repute

Yeah I do take your point.
It all depends on what the winter throws at us.
Some of the snow ploughing guys charge by the storm and some by the season.
That first winter we were here the guys who charge by the season sure worked hard for their money, and the people who paid by the storm paid out big time. Other winters when there is not so much snow the situation reverses.
Over here you just never know. Its all part of Canada's charm
Your right there! Lets hope this winter is much kinder than the last one hey!
Old Oct 13th 2009, 9:16 am
Citizenship Nov 10 2016!!

nikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Cookie
You should mention you have a huge Dodge Durango and found it easier to ride over the snow than most people would because your driveway is also pretty flat and sheltered by trees.

People in more exposed areas with uphill/downhill driveways will have drifting which can be caused by the mildest of winds. A lot of households use markers here to line their driveways because sometimes you just don't know where the ditches are and you don't want to land up in one of those
I have heard you can put up temporary type of fencing to help keep the drifts at bay on driveways etc .
Old Oct 13th 2009, 9:34 am
BE Enthusiast

Chookie has a reputation beyond reputeChookie has a reputation beyond reputeChookie has a reputation beyond reputeChookie has a reputation beyond reputeChookie has a reputation beyond reputeChookie has a reputation beyond reputeChookie has a reputation beyond reputeChookie has a reputation beyond reputeChookie has a reputation beyond reputeChookie has a reputation beyond reputeChookie has a reputation beyond repute

Best tip I have is to get the kids to clear the snow off the paths/driveway...

And if you don't have kids of your own, bribe some local kids to do it for you.

My eldest daughter had this chore last year, and sweet-talked some of the local lads to do it for her.... such initiative in an 11 yr old
Old Oct 13th 2009, 9:48 am
Sawdust making harpy

mandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by nikki dreaming
I have heard you can put up temporary type of fencing to help keep the drifts at bay on driveways etc .
Yup along one side of our normal fence we have attached the plastic 'fence' with the holes in it. Spreads for about 70ft but covers the gap where there are no trees.

If not we wouldn't be able to get into any of the sheds outside when theres a heavy snow
Old Oct 13th 2009, 9:56 am
Account Closed

fledermaus is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by mandymoochops
Yup along one side of our normal fence we have attached the plastic 'fence' with the holes in it. Spreads for about 70ft but covers the gap where there are no trees.

If not we wouldn't be able to get into any of the sheds outside when theres a heavy snow
We were reading up on snow fences. Seems you have to have them 34 times the height of the fence distant to the place you want to keep the snow from. So for our driveway we need the snow fence on the neighbours lawn....
Old Oct 13th 2009, 10:07 am
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by fledermaus
We were reading up on snow fences. Seems you have to have them 34 times the height of the fence distant to the place you want to keep the snow from. So for our driveway we need the snow fence on the neighbours lawn....
Eh? Could you put that in English if you have a moment?
Old Oct 13th 2009, 10:08 am
Scottish Canuck

Cookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond repute

Nikki - check out Home Hardware website and search for snow fence.

We have a couple of areas on our driveway that is affected by drift. Snow was over 5ft high just down from our mailbox last winter. I think we may get some snow fencing for this year. Mr Cookie almost disappeared while out snowblowing last winter

Fledermaus - surely not
Old Oct 13th 2009, 10:10 am
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by nikki dreaming
A snow fence came with this house. Must put it up somewhere, somewhen.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.