Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

Newbie to Canadian Winter one tip?????

Wikiposts

Newbie to Canadian Winter one tip?????

Old Oct 12th 2009, 6:53 am
Forum Regular

Deva is a glorious beacon of lightDeva is a glorious beacon of lightDeva is a glorious beacon of lightDeva is a glorious beacon of lightDeva is a glorious beacon of lightDeva is a glorious beacon of lightDeva is a glorious beacon of lightDeva is a glorious beacon of lightDeva is a glorious beacon of lightDeva is a glorious beacon of lightDeva is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Newbie to Canadian Winter one tip?????

Originally Posted by dbd33
Do not lick metal lamp posts.
I did that on a dare in grade 5 or 6. My 'friends' found it hilarious.
Old Oct 12th 2009, 8:38 am
Citizenship Nov 10 2016!!

nikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by AmyDavid
Isn't there an attachment for your ole mans lawnmower to turn it into a snow plough? You might be able to pick one up on Kijiji.
thanks, will let the ole man know to take a look

Do not lick metal lamp posts.
Now I'm sure you must have some other pearls of wisdom with your knowledge of rural Ontario
Old Oct 12th 2009, 8:58 am
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by nikki dreaming
Now I'm sure you must have some other pearls of wisdom with your knowledge of rural Ontario
Lag your barn hoses. Then lag them some more.

On rural roads remember there's a ditch each side, a ditch full of snow. Try not drive near the edge of the road for fear of your vehicle tumbling sideways; digging a tractor out is difficult and embarassing.
Old Oct 12th 2009, 9:13 am
Account Closed

fledermaus is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Steve_P
At some grocery stores you can ask for parcel pick-up.

They give you a piece of plastic with a number on it and place another piece of plastic with the same number on top of your groceries they then take your groceries to a designated pick-up area.

You go out, get in your car and drive to the pick-up area give them the numbered piece of plastic and the nice young men or women will load your groceries into your car for you.
Ah, Marks and Sparks in Milton Keynes does that. In my small town Ontario world there are callow youths who will take your groceries from the checkout to the car.
Old Oct 12th 2009, 9:15 am
Account Closed

fledermaus is an unknown quantity at this point

On rural roads remember there's a ditch each side, a ditch full of snow. Try not drive near the edge of the road for fear of your vehicle tumbling sideways; digging a tractor out is difficult and embarassing.
Do not drive close to the edge where tarmac meets shoulder. In the snow this can be exciting when your wheels have a little wobble here and can introduce you to those ditches full of snow
Old Oct 12th 2009, 9:15 am

nikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond repute

ok thanks
Old Oct 12th 2009, 9:26 am

Steve_P is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by fledermaus
In my small town Ontario world there are callow youths who will take your groceries from the checkout to the car.
Yes they'll do that too.

I suppose the parcel pick-up gives you the option to go and do other shopping then come back and get your groceries. Have never used it ourselves, perhaps when we get old and frail(er).

Last edited by Steve_P; Oct 12th 2009 at 9:29 am.
Old Oct 12th 2009, 10:03 am
Scottish Canuck

Cookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Steve_P
Yes they'll do that too.

I suppose the parcel pick-up gives you the option to go and do other shopping then come back and get your groceries. Have never used it ourselves, perhaps when we get old and frail(er).
Parcel pickup is really helpful when there is fresh snow outdoors because the shopping carts don't move around too well on the white stuff. When it's minus 20C or lower I just want to get in my car ASAP

If also use parcel pickup when I buy water for my cooler. I am quite short and it's hard getting the bottle out the cart and into my car
Old Oct 12th 2009, 12:48 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

ok thanks
Look also for pipes near exterior walls, they may freeze. Turn off exterior taps inside, they'll have a stopcock inside the house. Get candles and a gas stove, if there isn't one in the house get a camping stove, that'll turn the power outage into a camping adventure. A proper barbecue is also useful in that regard. Drive cautiously, I still go everywhere at 100mph but I do try not to get close to the vehicle in front. Find something to keep your feet warm while moving snow, when you do kindly tell me what it is.
Old Oct 12th 2009, 12:51 pm

Look also for pipes near exterior walls, they may freeze. Turn off exterior taps inside, they'll have a stopcock inside the house. Get candles and a gas stove, if there isn't one in the house get a camping stove, that'll turn the power outage into a camping adventure. A proper barbecue is also useful in that regard. Drive cautiously, I still go everywhere at 100mph but I do try not to get close to the vehicle in front. Find something to keep your feet warm while moving snow, when you do kindly tell me what it is.
I will let you know if I find anything, or to be more accurate the OH
Old Oct 12th 2009, 12:56 pm
Assimilated Pauper

I will let you know if I find anything, or to be more accurate the OH
All the winter problems I can recall had to do with pipes freezing, sliding off the road or falling over. Given my history with the latter I should, perhaps, wear the insulated barn overalls everywhere. How much firewood do you have?
Old Oct 12th 2009, 1:00 pm

All the winter problems I can recall had to do with pipes freezing, sliding off the road or falling over. Given my history with the latter I should, perhaps, wear the insulated barn overalls everywhere. How much firewood do you have?
Not enough on our list of things we need to get pronto, reckon following your last advice another 3 cords, guess we need that delivered soon so OH has enough time to stack it
Old Oct 12th 2009, 1:03 pm
Assimilated Pauper

Not enough on our list of things we need to get pronto, reckon following your last advice another 3 cords, guess we need that delivered soon so OH has enough time to stack it
I have a fire going now, I'm looking at my five cords and wondering about getting another. That's an easy decision if you know you'll be there for another winter.
Old Oct 12th 2009, 1:13 pm

I have a fire going now, I'm looking at my five cords and wondering about getting another. That's an easy decision if you know you'll be there for another winter.
I will be getting on to this tomorrow Hope the cost hasnt gone up too much should be a bit more organized! We have enough for a while just not enough to see us through.
Old Oct 12th 2009, 1:18 pm
Assimilated Pauper

I will be getting on to this tomorrow Hope the cost hasnt gone up too much should be a bit more organized! We have enough for a while just not enough to see us through.
Not too bad for you, I expect you still have furniture you can burn.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.