Wikiposts

Netflix

Old May 31st 2012, 5:23 am
Every day's a school day

cheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Netflix

Originally Posted by Hobbess

The visual quality has been good for streaming, no issues with stuttering or needing to refresh that others have noted. I've got the Netflix setting at Best.
Didn't know there were settings that could be applied on Netflix...where are they?
Old May 31st 2012, 5:25 am
Procrastinating

Hobbess has much to be proud ofHobbess has much to be proud ofHobbess has much to be proud ofHobbess has much to be proud ofHobbess has much to be proud ofHobbess has much to be proud ofHobbess has much to be proud ofHobbess has much to be proud ofHobbess has much to be proud ofHobbess has much to be proud ofHobbess has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by el_richo
Oh i'm not sure. Mine just plays automatically when 5.1 is available. I've watched it via the PS3 mainly and will be using Apple TV as the platform as of this afternoon. Not sure if that makes a difference.
Yeah - it might be a PS3 thing, I think it was first increased to 5.1 on PS3 in the US before being made more widely available.

To change the streaming settings just got to Netflix.ca - "your account & help" then manage video quality under settings. There are 3 - good, better and best.
Old May 31st 2012, 5:37 am
BE user by choice

Location: A Briton, married to a Canadian, now in Fredericton.
MillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond repute

Is it possible to just 'get' these things via a package from a company and just turn the telly/pc on and watch something enjoyable? It's the Luddite in my soul or I'm having a senior moment, but I don't think I'm capable of thinking of streaming or VPN's on a more than twice yearly basis. I know what they are, and I did put the Expat shield on my PC but I abandoned it as it was more irritation than it was worth. I fear that my biggest adventure in Canada maybe just watching something on the box! It's not going to be terribly hard is it?
Old May 31st 2012, 5:45 am
Forum Regular

Lvh76 is on a distinguished road

I've just signed up to the free trial after getting frustrated with cable tv here. Some good series, Arrested Development will keep me going for a while
Old May 31st 2012, 9:06 am
Forum Regular

badab1ng has a brilliant futurebadab1ng has a brilliant futurebadab1ng has a brilliant futurebadab1ng has a brilliant futurebadab1ng has a brilliant futurebadab1ng has a brilliant future

Breaking Bad
Life
Lilliehammer
Mad Men

It ain't all bad.
Old May 31st 2012, 5:05 pm
Banned

Boy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by badab1ng
Breaking Bad
Life
Lilliehammer
Mad Men

It ain't all bad.
Breaking bad was great as was Lillehammer....another good one is rescue me
Old Jun 1st 2012, 5:02 am
Forum Regular

badab1ng has a brilliant futurebadab1ng has a brilliant futurebadab1ng has a brilliant futurebadab1ng has a brilliant futurebadab1ng has a brilliant futurebadab1ng has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by Boy d
Breaking bad was great as was Lillehammer....another good one is rescue me
I'll check it out.

All recommendations gladly accepted.
Old Jun 1st 2012, 6:39 am
Banned

ultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lvh76
I've just signed up to the free trial after getting frustrated with cable tv here. Some good series, Arrested Development will keep me going for a while
To the Canadian or US content? For example to get the US stuff that is way better, you need a VPN like unblockUS that just happens to have instructions on their site on how to setup your appletv or other devices you might have with netflix on, as well as a free trial.

Some LG TVs now come with netflix via their "smarttv" apps

Oh...once your trial is done, netflix will start taking money out from the credit card you gave during registration
Old Jun 1st 2012, 6:44 am
Seasoned Maritimer

Tangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by conjonway
We love the Netflix, using a VPN (http://unblock-us.com) and are going through all the 30 Rock episodes right now. For $9 a month for netflix and $5 a month for Unblock-US we are definitely saving a bundle of money on cable.

If you do get a VPN you should check out Hulu.com too, that's what we use to catch up on the latest shows (they're online about a day after they're broadcast) and in great quality with incredibly limited commercial breaks (maybe only 2/3 individual ads in a 20 minute show - plus if you take the time you can choose what sort of ads you'd prefer to watch, which is the way all networks should be going!)
If using said site, how does one's devices know which Netflix site to connect to ?

Daft question I know.
Old Jun 1st 2012, 6:46 am
Banned

ultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tangram
If using said site, how does one's devices know which Netflix site to connect to ?

Daft question I know.
Have you checked the site? There are instructions for different devices on there. It's your IP and DNS that tricks the US netflix server to thing your residing in the US.

Have a look mate

http://www.unblock-us.com/how-to-set-up/
Old Jun 1st 2012, 9:00 am
Analyst for hire

Ben W Bell has a reputation beyond reputeBen W Bell has a reputation beyond reputeBen W Bell has a reputation beyond reputeBen W Bell has a reputation beyond reputeBen W Bell has a reputation beyond reputeBen W Bell has a reputation beyond reputeBen W Bell has a reputation beyond reputeBen W Bell has a reputation beyond reputeBen W Bell has a reputation beyond reputeBen W Bell has a reputation beyond reputeBen W Bell has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ultrarunner
Oh...once your trial is done, netflix will start taking money out from the credit card you gave during registration
Really? Is that how a subscription service works then? Thanks for informing us, didn't know that.
Old Jun 1st 2012, 9:04 am
Seasoned Maritimer

Tangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ultrarunner
Have you checked the site? There are instructions for different devices on there. It's your IP and DNS that tricks the US netflix server to thing your residing in the US.

Have a look mate

http://www.unblock-us.com/how-to-set-up/
Ah I see, and then you set up a US Netflix account and stop your Canadian one.

Meh.
Old Jun 1st 2012, 10:17 am
Beep

el_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond repute

Ah I see, and then you set up a US Netflix account and stop your Canadian one.

Meh.
No, you have one account. If you log into your account using a bog standard Canadian connection you'll be directed to the Canadian Netflix. If you're on a VPN assigned to the US, you'll be directed to the US Netflix. If you have VPN to the UK, you can also get into LoveFilm but that's a completely different one altogether but has a ton of UK stuff on there which is actually pretty good.

You only need the one account but can alternate between both by using VPN or not. T'is dead easy.
Old Jun 1st 2012, 10:23 am
Seasoned Maritimer

Originally Posted by el_richo
No, you have one account. If you log into your account using a bog standard Canadian connection you'll be directed to the Canadian Netflix. If you're on a VPN assigned to the US, you'll be directed to the US Netflix. If you have VPN to the UK, you can also get into LoveFilm but that's a completely different one altogether but has a ton of UK stuff on there which is actually pretty good.

You only need the one account but can alternate between both by using VPN or not. T'is dead easy.
Thanks Rich, I may look into it. Fellow at work uses Un Block Us I think but he was the one who mentioned changing the account.
Old Jun 1st 2012, 12:15 pm
Beep

el_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks Rich, I may look into it. Fellow at work uses Un Block Us I think but he was the one who mentioned changing the account.
He shouldnt have to. If I'm on VPN for the us, I just log in as normal and bobs your uncle. Visa versa when I'm not on VPN.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.