Wikiposts

Netflix

Old May 30th 2012, 11:28 am
Forum Regular

joepublic has a reputation beyond reputejoepublic has a reputation beyond reputejoepublic has a reputation beyond reputejoepublic has a reputation beyond reputejoepublic has a reputation beyond reputejoepublic has a reputation beyond reputejoepublic has a reputation beyond reputejoepublic has a reputation beyond reputejoepublic has a reputation beyond reputejoepublic has a reputation beyond reputejoepublic has a reputation beyond repute
Thumbs up Re: Netflix

Originally Posted by conjonway
We love the Netflix, using a VPN (http://unblock-us.com) and are going through all the 30 Rock episodes right now. For $9 a month for netflix and $5 a month for Unblock-US we are definitely saving a bundle of money on cable.

If you do get a VPN you should check out Hulu.com too, that's what we use to catch up on the latest shows (they're online about a day after they're broadcast) and in great quality with incredibly limited commercial breaks (maybe only 2/3 individual ads in a 20 minute show - plus if you take the time you can choose what sort of ads you'd prefer to watch, which is the way all networks should be going!)
I can second the above. After about 8 months of being here we felt we'd tested the water enough and ditched Rogers TV and phone package completely. By dropping our Internet speed down to 18Mbps Rogers also agreed to double our download allowance to 300GB/month for $3/month less than we were paying before. A MagicJack+ has replaced our home phone and hidemyass/unblock-us, Hulu, iPlayer, ITV Player etc and torrents have replaced our TV package. Been running that setup a couple of months now and so far so good.
Old May 31st 2012, 2:24 am
Every day's a school day

cheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Netflix

I have decided to give Netflix a go on the free months trial..so far its quite unimpressive. As said before film selections aren't great and the picture quality isn't very good either. Also has a habit of freezing if you watch back to back episodes of a show..have to turn it off and start again.
Old May 31st 2012, 2:27 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Almost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cheeky_monkey
I have decided to give Netflix a go on the free months trial..so far its quite unimpressive. As said before film selections aren't great and the picture quality isn't very good either. Also has a habit of freezing if you watch back to back episodes of a show..have to turn it off and start again.
I believe that those issues are more to do with your ISP than with Netflix. Picture quality is fine (you can change the settings) and we have never had issues with freezing.
Old May 31st 2012, 2:38 am
Bon Vivant

Simon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Almost Canadian
I believe that those issues are more to do with your ISP than with Netflix. Picture quality is fine (you can change the settings) and we have never had issues with freezing.
+1
Old May 31st 2012, 2:59 am
Just Joined

Stiletto Junkie is an unknown quantity at this point

My friend has Netflix but I quite like Love Film! Not sure if you can get that in Canada
Old May 31st 2012, 3:03 am
Beep

el_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond repute

It's certainly cheaper than Cable TV, plus if money is tight you can share the subscription with friends and family

Originally Posted by Stiletto Junkie
My friend has Netflix but I quite like Love Film! Not sure if you can get that in Canada
No you can't get Love Film here unless you VPN into the UK.
Old May 31st 2012, 3:34 am
Every day's a school day

cheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by el_richo
It's certainly cheaper than Cable TV, plus if money is tight you can share the subscription with friends and family

i would imagine on Netflix you will rapidly run out of things to watch
Old May 31st 2012, 3:50 am
Beep

el_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond repute

No different to Cable TV then

I tap into the US and Canadian netflix for variation and it's not too bad. We don't watch too much TV anyway so it's no biggie.

I'm currently slowly working my way through Family Guy and Futurama at the moment
Old May 31st 2012, 4:34 am
Procrastinating

Hobbess has much to be proud ofHobbess has much to be proud ofHobbess has much to be proud ofHobbess has much to be proud ofHobbess has much to be proud ofHobbess has much to be proud ofHobbess has much to be proud ofHobbess has much to be proud ofHobbess has much to be proud ofHobbess has much to be proud ofHobbess has much to be proud of

I can see the day when I'd run out on the Canadian one and then I'd probably look into the US VPN option and I've only been on Netflix for 2 weeks!

I used to use Zip.ca which is one of the DVD-mail option in Canada but then cancelled due to slowing service, increasing costs and the fact I had too much other stuff going on. I still maintain my Ziplist as it's an easy way to keep track of what I want to watch. Of the 100+ movies on my list currently there's probably less than 20 on Netflix Canada and I've a big variety from the newest to much older movies.

What I am watching is a lot of TV on Netflix, Breaking Bad & Mad Men right now, then Lost and Jericho plus others are there too. It does seem to have lots of documentaries too, Exit through the gift shop, Waiting for Superman, Being Elmo and Inside Job I've watched so far. $8 is great for all that.

The visual quality has been good for streaming, no issues with stuttering or needing to refresh that others have noted. I've got the Netflix setting at Best. Unfortunately the sound is only stereo which for most of what I've watched is ok, but kinda sucks on the big movies like Super 8. I do have a decent 5.1 set-up which is under used by Netflix and so I might try and find a different way to rent blockbuster type movies.

I think the US Netflix offers 5.1 streaming which would be nice if they could add to Canada.
Old May 31st 2012, 4:43 am
BE Forum Addict

AlexInBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlexInBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlexInBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlexInBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlexInBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlexInBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlexInBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlexInBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlexInBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlexInBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlexInBC has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by conjonway
If you're using a VPN like unblock-us then you can sign up for Canadian Netflix, with a Canadian credit card and still get access to the US Netflix.

Magic!
How does that work, please? Not the vpn technical stuff - I understand all that - but does your existing (Canadian) Netflix login just work on their US site, too, once they are fooled into thinking you're physically located in the US...?

Actually, no worries - I've found the answer on the Unblock-Us site. Apparently "Users must have US Netflix account to have full access to US content from gaming consoles, media players, TV’s, etc. Canadian Netflix accounts give users access to US Netflix content from computers and iPad’s, iPhone's and PS3." Darn - we use the TV directly... Guess we could just use a laptop to get the full access and hook a HDMI cable to the TV.
Old May 31st 2012, 4:47 am
Beep

Originally Posted by Hobbess
I can see the day when I'd run out on the Canadian one and then I'd probably look into the US VPN option and I've only been on Netflix for 2 weeks!

I used to use Zip.ca which is one of the DVD-mail option in Canada but then cancelled due to slowing service, increasing costs and the fact I had too much other stuff going on. I still maintain my Ziplist as it's an easy way to keep track of what I want to watch. Of the 100+ movies on my list currently there's probably less than 20 on Netflix Canada and I've a big variety from the newest to much older movies.

What I am watching is a lot of TV on Netflix, Breaking Bad & Mad Men right now, then Lost and Jericho plus others are there too. It does seem to have lots of documentaries too, Exit through the gift shop, Waiting for Superman, Being Elmo and Inside Job I've watched so far. $8 is great for all that.

The visual quality has been good for streaming, no issues with stuttering or needing to refresh that others have noted. I've got the Netflix setting at Best. Unfortunately the sound is only stereo which for most of what I've watched is ok, but kinda sucks on the big movies like Super 8. I do have a decent 5.1 set-up which is under used by Netflix and so I might try and find a different way to rent blockbuster type movies.

I think the US Netflix offers 5.1 streaming which would be nice if they could add to Canada.
Canada has 5.1. I've seen a few movies with it.

If anybody runs out of things to watch, they're watching far too much TV
Old May 31st 2012, 4:47 am
BE Forum Addict

AlexInBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlexInBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlexInBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlexInBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlexInBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlexInBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlexInBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlexInBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlexInBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlexInBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlexInBC has a reputation beyond repute

So what sort of stuff does the US site offer that the Canadian one doesn't? If people who know both Netflix sites could just give a few examples of well known TV series (do they have the newer Dr Whos on the US one, by any chance??) or hit movies, that would be great to help decide whether to shell out for the VPN service...
Old May 31st 2012, 4:49 am
Beep

Originally Posted by AlexInBC
How does that work, please? Not the vpn technical stuff - I understand all that - but does your existing (Canadian) Netflix login just work on their US site, too, once they are fooled into thinking you're physically located in the US...?

Actually, no worries - I've found the answer on the Unblock-Us site. Apparently "Users must have US Netflix account to have full access to US content from gaming consoles, media players, TV’s, etc. Canadian Netflix accounts give users access to US Netflix content from computers and iPad’s, iPhone's and PS3." Darn - we use the TV directly... Guess we could just use a laptop to get the full access and hook a HDMI cable to the TV.
Yep you just log in with your normal account. Just hook the laptop up to the TV and you're good to go.
Old May 31st 2012, 5:07 am
Procrastinating

Hobbess has much to be proud ofHobbess has much to be proud ofHobbess has much to be proud ofHobbess has much to be proud ofHobbess has much to be proud ofHobbess has much to be proud ofHobbess has much to be proud ofHobbess has much to be proud ofHobbess has much to be proud ofHobbess has much to be proud ofHobbess has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by el_richo
Canada has 5.1. I've seen a few movies with it.

If anybody runs out of things to watch, they're watching far too much TV
Wierd - i played around with the Netflix settings, looked on my blu-ray player which I'm using and then googled to see if I was missing anything but couldn't seem to get it better than stereo. Tried both Super 8 and Transformers Dark of the Moon which are new releases on Netflix and should have 5.1. Couldn't find any help on Netflix.ca or Samsung sites.

Yes and watching too much - got young kids so not much social life outside of them right now.
Old May 31st 2012, 5:13 am
Beep

Originally Posted by Hobbess
Wierd - i played around with the Netflix settings, looked on my blu-ray player which I'm using and then googled to see if I was missing anything but couldn't seem to get it better than stereo. Tried both Super 8 and Transformers Dark of the Moon which are new releases on Netflix and should have 5.1. Couldn't find any help on Netflix.ca or Samsung sites.

Yes and watching too much - got young kids so not much social life outside of them right now.
Oh i'm not sure. Mine just plays automatically when 5.1 is available. I've watched it via the PS3 mainly and will be using Apple TV as the platform as of this afternoon. Not sure if that makes a difference.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.