Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

Need advice about Education in Alberta??

Need advice about Education in Alberta??

Old Feb 24th 2011, 7:40 pm
Onwards and upwards!

fatcat65 is a glorious beacon of lightfatcat65 is a glorious beacon of lightfatcat65 is a glorious beacon of lightfatcat65 is a glorious beacon of lightfatcat65 is a glorious beacon of lightfatcat65 is a glorious beacon of lightfatcat65 is a glorious beacon of lightfatcat65 is a glorious beacon of lightfatcat65 is a glorious beacon of lightfatcat65 is a glorious beacon of lightfatcat65 is a glorious beacon of light
Default Need advice about Education in Alberta??

Hi all, I just thought I would ask if there is anyone out there who knows an answer to my dilemma.
My oldest son is in grade 12 and is meant to take his English diploma exam in June. However, our work visa's run out at the end of May and my husband does not wish to stay any longer as our family will have been apart for 3 and half months as it is, so applying for an extension to our visa is not an option, especially as it will cost more money and we need every penny we can get.
I have spoken to my sons school who i found very unhelpful and was told that there was no way they would move his exam forward, and that it is very difficult to take the exam from outside of Canada, so if what they are saying is right, then my son will leave school without getting his high school diploma, after 13 years of education.
My question i guess is does anyone know of a way around this other than us HAVING to apply for an extension, paying another months rent and paying for vias's, bills and more expensive flights.

the only other thing i could think of was that he scraps taking the exam and does an online English GCSE when he comes home, but i'm not sure how that will look in terms of his education as it seems to me that to get a high school diploma you have to take grade 12 english...is the GCSE not equivalent?
I just think the whole thing is wrong and that they should at least let him take the exam early, even if its on the day he actually leaves the country after all its not his fault that all this has happened to us!
I just keep meeting brick walls and i'm getting really fed up with trying to get someone to help us out with this.
If we stay its going to cost us nearly another $3000 just for a matter of 3 weeks, which we simply can't afford!
Any help would be appreciated. I know i'm going to get some that say that we pay the extra money and stay but we simply don't have it so please don't suggest it!
thanks
Old Feb 24th 2011, 7:50 pm
Magnificently Withering

Oakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Need advice about Education in Alberta??

Would it be possible for you (or your son on his own) to stay the extra three weeks as a visitor? The school might waive study permit issues for a student already enrolled; he could presumably stay with a friend for the last three weeks of term if it's absolutely imperative that you leave in May. If he's in G12 he's presumably old enough to pretty much look after himself.

I don't think it's unreasonable for the school to deny sitting the exam early - after all, there are all sorts of potential security implications for the rest of his yeargroup of having this year's papers "in the wild" before the scheduled exam date.

If it were me, I'd talk to the school and/or the school board about waiving the study permit requirement, allow him to attend the last three weeks of school and take the exam at the normal time.
Old Feb 24th 2011, 8:03 pm
Onwards and upwards!

fatcat65 is a glorious beacon of lightfatcat65 is a glorious beacon of lightfatcat65 is a glorious beacon of lightfatcat65 is a glorious beacon of lightfatcat65 is a glorious beacon of lightfatcat65 is a glorious beacon of lightfatcat65 is a glorious beacon of lightfatcat65 is a glorious beacon of lightfatcat65 is a glorious beacon of lightfatcat65 is a glorious beacon of lightfatcat65 is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Oakvillian
Would it be possible for you (or your son on his own) to stay the extra three weeks as a visitor? The school might waive study permit issues for a student already enrolled; he could presumably stay with a friend for the last three weeks of term if it's absolutely imperative that you leave in May. If he's in G12 he's presumably old enough to pretty much look after himself.

I don't think it's unreasonable for the school to deny sitting the exam early - after all, there are all sorts of potential security implications for the rest of his yeargroup of having this year's papers "in the wild" before the scheduled exam date.

If it were me, I'd talk to the school and/or the school board about waiving the study permit requirement, allow him to attend the last three weeks of school and take the exam at the normal time.
We don't have anyone he could stay with so they would have to stay in the house we are in and with my OH not allowed to work as he will have no visa, its just not a viable option as I say we are going back with nothing and no where to live so we need every penny. There has to be another solution to this...what about army kids how does it work with them?
Old Feb 25th 2011, 12:24 am

Piff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond repute

Try contacting a outreach school (the ones that look after those that home study). There MUST be a way to get this organised.
Old Feb 25th 2011, 1:21 am
Sawdust making harpy

mandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Piff Poff
Try contacting a outreach school (the ones that look after those that home study). There MUST be a way to get this organised.
I've been racking my brain for possible solutions too

Am I right in thinking Fatcat, that when your hubbys permit runs out that your son would be out of status too?
Old Feb 25th 2011, 1:30 am
BE Enthusiast

mardyarse has a reputation beyond reputemardyarse has a reputation beyond reputemardyarse has a reputation beyond reputemardyarse has a reputation beyond reputemardyarse has a reputation beyond reputemardyarse has a reputation beyond reputemardyarse has a reputation beyond reputemardyarse has a reputation beyond reputemardyarse has a reputation beyond reputemardyarse has a reputation beyond reputemardyarse has a reputation beyond repute

Somebody has a duty of care here for your son and I would think you should have better luck with the School Board rather than the school directly.

This must have arisen before especially with serving military personel who get posted back with kids in grade 12 what would they do?

How about if your son registered with a school or college back in the UK and the Canadian School Board sent the necessary exam/s to them directly and the taking of the exams was overseen by the UK school and returned by them. Only a suggestion have no clue what I'm talking about but feel quite strongly that not either side can wash their hands of this. Good luck!
Old Feb 25th 2011, 11:38 am
Professional Cat herder

Zoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond repute

The above reply could work , we have students sit entrance exams for schools all around the world, on the other school's behalf and vice versa, Ok we are not a public school but the principle is the same
Old Feb 25th 2011, 1:02 pm
Onwards and upwards!

thanks guys for your suggestions.....my son is doing an online English course diploma, so i rang the exam department yesterday and the lady was really helpful and said that he would be able to do the exam in the UK 'IF' we can get a school to supervise the exam. There is 12 pages of paperwork to fill out, they want photographs of where the exam will be stored (i'm guessing the principles computer then being as they will e-mail it to them...duh!!) and photographs of where he will sit the exam. He also has to take it the same time as the other students as being as they are 7 hours behind in Canada, he's going to be sitting it in the middle of the night probably!!
That's assuming that any of the schools will support this as they will be busy with their own students exams at that time too.
Anyway its a long shot but I have sent the forms to my friend in the UK so she can ask her daughters school if this is something they would support.
Also we have to have all this done and then approved by Alberta Feds, sorry education board, by the 5th April!!
So bloody helpful eh! I'm going to be ringing the Rockyview Education board on Monday and put a flea in some bodies ear, then i'm going to contact the local MLA as they can't just wash their hands of this.
Really I just want to shout at someone as the whole thing is unfair, I get their reasons but there has to be another alternative.
The good news is that if we can find a school to do this in the UK then my OH and son can come back to the UK at the beginning of May as my son does his course online anyway so he can do that anywhere in the world so they can come back 3 weeks earlier than anticipated
If anyone has come across this before or works in schools i'd be happy to hear any other suggestions.
Old Feb 25th 2011, 1:29 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Almost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond repute

So solutions have been suggested, but you appear not to want to incur the cost (of accommodation) or the time and effort (to complete the forms to ensure your son is adequately supervised in the UK) and it's the system that is unfair?

I am beginning to realise why you have faced the difficulties you have.
Old Feb 25th 2011, 1:51 pm
Onwards and upwards!

Originally Posted by Almost Canadian
So solutions have been suggested, but you appear not to want to incur the cost (of accommodation) or the time and effort (to complete the forms to ensure your son is adequately supervised in the UK) and it's the system that is unfair?

I am beginning to realise why you have faced the difficulties you have.
Excuse me! I never said anything about the cost in the UK...what i said was we didn't have the $3000 it would cost us extra to stay in Canada for 3 extra weeks.
As for the effort and time, I don't have a problem with it what i foresee is that the schools in the UK won't have the time to fill in the 12 pages and want to mess around taking photographs for one student that isn't even at the school...that's what i meant by that.
What exactly do you mean 'i'm beginning to realise why you have faced the difficulties you have'? Care to elaborate?
My comments are meant to mean that no one over in Canada is coming up with any other suggestions and due to the amount of kids that come in and out of schools there must be something else. Its like pulling teeth over here to get information.
I'm not being awkward i just need solutions to a problem that is not my sons fault or ours for that matter its just bad timing.
If you want to donate $3000 so he can stay and sit the exam with the rest of them i'll gladly except it! But i don't have a money tree in the garden and cannot magic all that money out of thin air...i could sell my body i guess but it would take a while to get that kind of money!!
Old Feb 25th 2011, 1:55 pm

Piff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond repute

Not being snippy, but why would it cost $3000 for 3 weeks?
Old Feb 25th 2011, 2:04 pm
Onwards and upwards!

Originally Posted by Piff Poff
Not being snippy, but why would it cost $3000 for 3 weeks?
Another months rent on our house $1800, plus bill for that period...OH no work as no visa so actually its way more than $3000 more like $6000.
Gotta have somewhere to live whilst here for the extra time and pay utilities etc.
Old Feb 25th 2011, 2:30 pm

Originally Posted by fatcat65
Another months rent on our house $1800, plus bill for that period...OH no work as no visa so actually its way more than $3000 more like $6000.
Gotta have somewhere to live whilst here for the extra time and pay utilities etc.
As your son is grade 12 he must be around 17/18, nothing to say he can't look after himself for a couple of weeks - unless he is your autistic one, that would make a huge difference.

He could stay with friends or a motel, you could try the student exchange people for a host family. He could get a study permit, you wouldn't all have to stay in any case. Just throwing some ideas out there.

If it were my child I would also look into him sitting some GCSE'S as well anyway, we all know how anal Canadians are about English qualifications, wouldn't want your son to face the same challenges in the UK.

Let us know how you get on with the home study people though.
Old Feb 25th 2011, 2:36 pm

TheThornes has a reputation beyond reputeTheThornes has a reputation beyond reputeTheThornes has a reputation beyond reputeTheThornes has a reputation beyond reputeTheThornes has a reputation beyond reputeTheThornes has a reputation beyond reputeTheThornes has a reputation beyond reputeTheThornes has a reputation beyond reputeTheThornes has a reputation beyond reputeTheThornes has a reputation beyond reputeTheThornes has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by fatcat65
thanks guys for your suggestions.....my son is doing an online English course diploma, so i rang the exam department yesterday and the lady was really helpful and said that he would be able to do the exam in the UK 'IF' we can get a school to supervise the exam. There is 12 pages of paperwork to fill out, they want photographs of where the exam will be stored (i'm guessing the principles computer then being as they will e-mail it to them...duh!!) and photographs of where he will sit the exam. He also has to take it the same time as the other students as being as they are 7 hours behind in Canada, he's going to be sitting it in the middle of the night probably!!
That's assuming that any of the schools will support this as they will be busy with their own students exams at that time too.
Anyway its a long shot but I have sent the forms to my friend in the UK so she can ask her daughters school if this is something they would support.
Also we have to have all this done and then approved by Alberta Feds, sorry education board, by the 5th April!!
So bloody helpful eh! I'm going to be ringing the Rockyview Education board on Monday and put a flea in some bodies ear, then i'm going to contact the local MLA as they can't just wash their hands of this.
Really I just want to shout at someone as the whole thing is unfair, I get their reasons but there has to be another alternative.
The good news is that if we can find a school to do this in the UK then my OH and son can come back to the UK at the beginning of May as my son does his course online anyway so he can do that anywhere in the world so they can come back 3 weeks earlier than anticipated
If anyone has come across this before or works in schools i'd be happy to hear any other suggestions.
Hopefully you'll find a school in the UK that can assist. I've heard of this before although the other way around. Friends moved over here shortly before their eldest was due to take UK exams and was able to take them here, up at Cochrane High as it happens.

Not far from where we used to live in the UK was a big American School. There was a large American population in the area due to a large American employer. I wonder if there are any Canadian Schools in the UK?
Old Feb 25th 2011, 5:46 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond repute

Personally, I'd be tempted to keep my head down quietly for three weeks, outstay my permit and book into the Super 8.

I do wonder also, however, what value a Canadian High School Diploma will be in the UK? Does he plan on further education? Will it be equivalent of A levels for uni applications? I suspect not. But the actual Diploma will be useful in life, regardless.

Bit of bind but I'm sure you can work something out.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.