Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

The Nationwide Card Reader Rant

The Nationwide Card Reader Rant

Old Aug 7th 2008, 9:39 pm
Happy Bunnies

Flossie and Jim has a reputation beyond reputeFlossie and Jim has a reputation beyond reputeFlossie and Jim has a reputation beyond reputeFlossie and Jim has a reputation beyond reputeFlossie and Jim has a reputation beyond reputeFlossie and Jim has a reputation beyond reputeFlossie and Jim has a reputation beyond reputeFlossie and Jim has a reputation beyond reputeFlossie and Jim has a reputation beyond reputeFlossie and Jim has a reputation beyond reputeFlossie and Jim has a reputation beyond repute
Default The Nationwide Card Reader Rant

Grrrrrrrrr! :curse:

So, I just did a failrly large UK£ to CAD$ currency transaction with Moneycorp and went to do the online payment through my Nationwide Online Banking account and it asks me to use my "card reader" before it can authorise the payment.

Apparently Nationwide now have these card reader things that give you an authorisation code for you to punch in so you can complete your online banking transactions.

Except because I live abroad Nationwide haven't sent me one!

Grrrrrrrr!:curse::curse:

So I phone the Nationwide call centre in the UK.....(who keep me on hold for as long as possible beacause I am calling from abroad).....
Young chap: you need a card reader madam
Me: I don't have a card reader
Young chap: you can't do the transaction without the card reader madam
Me: I know that. How do I get a card reader
Young chap: you have to make a special request online because you live abroad madam
Me: But that will take at least a week to get here. How do I complete my payment with online banking
Young chap: You need a card reader madam

And if I want to get a member of my family an authorised signatory on the account I need to accompany them to the branch - yeh, right!

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaargh!

Then had to phone Moneycorp and sort out an alternative method of payment for currency - fortunately they will take a cheque but it will take forever to get there and longer than that for me to get my dollars.

So, that's my rant over ....just a heads up to those with Nationwide online banking to get a card reader if they haven't already. As far as I know regular ATM stuff is still ok, it just affects online banking.

THANKS THEN NATIONWIDE FOR LEAVING ME IN THE SHI*T WITH NO $$$$$$$$!!!!!

Thanks for letting me rant!
Flossie
Old Aug 7th 2008, 9:41 pm
it's all good............

D15NEY is a glorious beacon of lightD15NEY is a glorious beacon of lightD15NEY is a glorious beacon of lightD15NEY is a glorious beacon of lightD15NEY is a glorious beacon of lightD15NEY is a glorious beacon of lightD15NEY is a glorious beacon of lightD15NEY is a glorious beacon of lightD15NEY is a glorious beacon of lightD15NEY is a glorious beacon of lightD15NEY is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: The Nationwide Card Reader Rant

Rant away, banks can be a pain in the butt.......
Old Aug 7th 2008, 9:42 pm
Happy Bunnies

Flossie and Jim has a reputation beyond reputeFlossie and Jim has a reputation beyond reputeFlossie and Jim has a reputation beyond reputeFlossie and Jim has a reputation beyond reputeFlossie and Jim has a reputation beyond reputeFlossie and Jim has a reputation beyond reputeFlossie and Jim has a reputation beyond reputeFlossie and Jim has a reputation beyond reputeFlossie and Jim has a reputation beyond reputeFlossie and Jim has a reputation beyond reputeFlossie and Jim has a reputation beyond repute

I must admit it was quite therapeutic bashing away at the pc keys just then.....

.....am starting to calm down now.....
Old Aug 7th 2008, 9:43 pm
it's all good............

D15NEY is a glorious beacon of lightD15NEY is a glorious beacon of lightD15NEY is a glorious beacon of lightD15NEY is a glorious beacon of lightD15NEY is a glorious beacon of lightD15NEY is a glorious beacon of lightD15NEY is a glorious beacon of lightD15NEY is a glorious beacon of lightD15NEY is a glorious beacon of lightD15NEY is a glorious beacon of lightD15NEY is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Flossie and Jim
I must admit it was quite therapeutic bashing away at the pc keys just then.....

.....am starting to calm down now.....

and breathe...........
Old Aug 7th 2008, 9:50 pm

AmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Flossie and Jim
Grrrrrrrrr! :curse:

So, I just did a failrly large UK£ to CAD$ currency transaction with Moneycorp and went to do the online payment through my Nationwide Online Banking account and it asks me to use my "card reader" before it can authorise the payment.

Apparently Nationwide now have these card reader things that give you an authorisation code for you to punch in so you can complete your online banking transactions.

Except because I live abroad Nationwide haven't sent me one!

Grrrrrrrr!:curse::curse:

So I phone the Nationwide call centre in the UK.....(who keep me on hold for as long as possible beacause I am calling from abroad).....
Young chap: you need a card reader madam
Me: I don't have a card reader
Young chap: you can't do the transaction without the card reader madam
Me: I know that. How do I get a card reader
Young chap: you have to make a special request online because you live abroad madam
Me: But that will take at least a week to get here. How do I complete my payment with online banking
Young chap: You need a card reader madam

And if I want to get a member of my family an authorised signatory on the account I need to accompany them to the branch - yeh, right!

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaargh!

Then had to phone Moneycorp and sort out an alternative method of payment for currency - fortunately they will take a cheque but it will take forever to get there and longer than that for me to get my dollars.

So, that's my rant over ....just a heads up to those with Nationwide online banking to get a card reader if they haven't already. As far as I know regular ATM stuff is still ok, it just affects online banking.

THANKS THEN NATIONWIDE FOR LEAVING ME IN THE SHI*T WITH NO $$$$$$$$!!!!!

Thanks for letting me rant!
Flossie
Now breathe....!! HSBC are doing the same thing to us at the moment - we forgot our telephone/internet login password - so rather than letting us re-set it on the phone (after supplying them with the answers to all their ID questions) we have to go into our local branch - Horsham, West Sussex UK. Doesn't matter how many times I say - I live in Canada - they keep telling me the same thing. It is like speaking with a robot!!

Last edited by AmyDavid; Aug 7th 2008 at 9:51 pm. Reason: missed a bit
Old Aug 7th 2008, 11:21 pm
Analyst for hire

Ben W Bell has a reputation beyond reputeBen W Bell has a reputation beyond reputeBen W Bell has a reputation beyond reputeBen W Bell has a reputation beyond reputeBen W Bell has a reputation beyond reputeBen W Bell has a reputation beyond reputeBen W Bell has a reputation beyond reputeBen W Bell has a reputation beyond reputeBen W Bell has a reputation beyond reputeBen W Bell has a reputation beyond reputeBen W Bell has a reputation beyond repute

And then you turn round and say to them. Okay, I want to close my account effective immediately as you are refusing me reasonable access to my money. Please send a cheque to ...

Okay it's more complicated than that but still, it can make you feel better.

Last edited by Ben W Bell; Aug 7th 2008 at 11:23 pm.
Old Aug 8th 2008, 12:09 am
Democracy advocate

Cape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond repute

Mine just arrived in the (redirected) post from the UK - its the size of a small calculator - just perfect to slip in your wallet! (not).

I hate this sort of crap, obviously they need to look out for internet security but if I get one of these for each of my UK accounts plus my US ones, I'll need to lug around a rucksack the whole time just to carry them. Seems like the easy functionality of the online bank is moving backwards.
Old Aug 8th 2008, 3:31 am
Corn Nibbler

cornmatthew has much to be proud ofcornmatthew has much to be proud ofcornmatthew has much to be proud ofcornmatthew has much to be proud ofcornmatthew has much to be proud ofcornmatthew has much to be proud ofcornmatthew has much to be proud ofcornmatthew has much to be proud ofcornmatthew has much to be proud ofcornmatthew has much to be proud ofcornmatthew has much to be proud of

NatWest shipped me a card reader to Canada a while back.

Maybe they don't suck after all.
Old Aug 8th 2008, 4:04 am
Banned

Surrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond repute

If you send the FX house a direct debit mandate, they can take the money straight out of your bank account in the UK, no need to transfer or do a cheque. When the trade is complete they deposit the currency you bought into your $ account. Takes but a few days to complete.
Old Aug 8th 2008, 4:43 am
BE Forum Addict

fuschiagirl has a reputation beyond reputefuschiagirl has a reputation beyond reputefuschiagirl has a reputation beyond reputefuschiagirl has a reputation beyond reputefuschiagirl has a reputation beyond reputefuschiagirl has a reputation beyond reputefuschiagirl has a reputation beyond reputefuschiagirl has a reputation beyond reputefuschiagirl has a reputation beyond reputefuschiagirl has a reputation beyond reputefuschiagirl has a reputation beyond repute

Nationwide sent ours to Canada - in fact they sent 2
Old Aug 11th 2008, 2:13 am
Account Closed

DaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by fuschiagirl
Nationwide sent ours to Canada - in fact they sent 2
Can you send Flossie one please, then Jim will get some quiet!
Old Aug 11th 2008, 10:13 am
Forum Regular

Mim_Pangers will become famous soon enoughMim_Pangers will become famous soon enough

I have 1 and my hubby's has just arrived from Nationwide

I was wondering the other day whether it would be necessary/work when we get to Canada. I will send his over to him asap!
Old Aug 11th 2008, 10:21 am
BE Enthusiast

thundercat600 is just really nicethundercat600 is just really nicethundercat600 is just really nicethundercat600 is just really nicethundercat600 is just really nicethundercat600 is just really nicethundercat600 is just really nicethundercat600 is just really nicethundercat600 is just really nicethundercat600 is just really nicethundercat600 is just really nice

i haven't got mine yet - and i still live in the UK!!

soooooooo looking forward to getting it! already had trouble with the darn "Verified by Visa" security thing that comes up sometimes (have no idea what username/password combo i created in a rush the first time i had to!)

OH has one for Natwest, think I've only used it once, fairly easy, and fortunately i was at home when i needed it since i'm not carrying it around in my handbag all the time!