British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Maple Leaf (https://britishexpats.com/forum/maple-leaf-98/)
-   -   National Insurance Contributions (https://britishexpats.com/forum/maple-leaf-98/national-insurance-contributions-928729/)

HGerchikov Oct 21st 2019 9:02 pm

National Insurance Contributions

Has anyone continued to pay their NI contributions after they moved to Canada. If so how do you pay? Do you still have a UK account and pay from that or do you transfer money from a Canadian account?

BristolUK Oct 21st 2019 11:48 pm

Re: National Insurance Contributions

I made a 'bill' payment from my UK account quoting the reference on the letter. It wasn't a suggested method but it worked.

HGerchikov Oct 22nd 2019 1:02 pm

Originally Posted by BristolUK (Post 12752171)
I made a 'bill' payment from my UK account quoting the reference on the letter. It wasn't a suggested method but it worked.

Oakvillian Oct 22nd 2019 6:34 pm

I wire transfer funds from my Canadian bank. It's probably not the most cost-efficient way to do it, but the only other sensible option that I could think of would have been to transfer money to a relative and get them to send a cheque... that seemed fraught with opportunities to go wrong.

dbd33 Oct 22nd 2019 6:38 pm

Originally Posted by Oakvillian (Post 12752512)
I wire transfer funds from my Canadian bank. It's probably not the most cost-efficient way to do it, but the only other sensible option that I could think of would have been to transfer money to a relative and get them to send a cheque... that seemed fraught with opportunities to go wrong.

I buy a money order at the post office and send it. The bank will issue a similar document but the post office is cheaper.

HGerchikov Oct 22nd 2019 10:02 pm

Thanks for the suggestions. Good to know there are options that work.

Screenwriter Nov 9th 2019 5:47 pm

Why do pay in to your national insurance?

Siouxie Nov 10th 2019 3:48 pm

Originally Posted by Screenwriter (Post 12761402)
Why do pay in to your national insurance?

Because it raises your UK pension. :)

https://www.gov.uk/voluntary-nationa...-contributions

dbd33 Nov 10th 2019 4:38 pm

Originally Posted by Siouxie (Post 12761742)
Because it raises your UK pension. :)

https://www.gov.uk/voluntary-nationa...-contributions

There's that aspect to it but also it's a matter of responsibility. Funding of health and benefits only works if everyone does his of her bit. It's not a burdensome cost to do the right thing.

Screenwriter Nov 10th 2019 6:50 pm

Can you elaborate on your point here?

Screenwriter Nov 10th 2019 6:53 pm

How much is it per year? And does it only matter if you end of retiring in the UK?

dbd33 Nov 12th 2019 12:08 pm

Originally Posted by Screenwriter (Post 12761799)
Can you elaborate on your point here?

Me? I think it's a fairly simple one, state funding of benefits such as pensions depends on the participation of all of society. One should pay one's NI as one should pay one's taxes.

Partially discharged Nov 12th 2019 12:16 pm

Originally Posted by dbd33 (Post 12761758)
There's that aspect to it but also it's a matter of responsibility. Funding of health and benefits only works if everyone does his of her bit. It's not a burdensome cost to do the right thing.

Even if you have no intention of living in the UK again?

dbd33 Nov 12th 2019 1:28 pm

Originally Posted by Partially discharged (Post 12762677)
Even if you have no intention of living in the UK again?

Of course. It's not the fault of an inclusive society that some people choose to opt out for a period. People say they'll go and live on a desert island or in some barren wasteland forever but few of them turn out to mean it. If they don't keep up their contributions then, when Shangri-La turns out not to be all that, they'll return and struggle to catch up.

jimf Nov 12th 2019 3:09 pm

Originally Posted by HGerchikov (Post 12752118)
Has anyone continued to pay their NI contributions after they moved to Canada. If so how do you pay? Do you still have a UK account and pay from that or do you transfer money from a Canadian account?

When I looked at this a few weeks ago it seemed to me that a missing year payment of approx £780 would add £250 a year to the basic state pension. So living 3 years into retirement would result in a benefit overall. 35 years contributions needed for a full basic state pension. Is that how you would see the situation?