Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

National Insurance Contributions

National Insurance Contributions

Old Oct 21st 2019, 9:02 pm
BE Forum Addict

HGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond repute
Default National Insurance Contributions

Has anyone continued to pay their NI contributions after they moved to Canada. If so how do you pay? Do you still have a UK account and pay from that or do you transfer money from a Canadian account?
Old Oct 21st 2019, 11:48 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: National Insurance Contributions

I made a 'bill' payment from my UK account quoting the reference on the letter. It wasn't a suggested method but it worked.
Old Oct 22nd 2019, 1:02 pm
BE Forum Addict

HGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BristolUK
I made a 'bill' payment from my UK account quoting the reference on the letter. It wasn't a suggested method but it worked.
Thanks
Old Oct 22nd 2019, 6:34 pm
Magnificently Withering

Oakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond repute

I wire transfer funds from my Canadian bank. It's probably not the most cost-efficient way to do it, but the only other sensible option that I could think of would have been to transfer money to a relative and get them to send a cheque... that seemed fraught with opportunities to go wrong.
Old Oct 22nd 2019, 6:38 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Oakvillian
I wire transfer funds from my Canadian bank. It's probably not the most cost-efficient way to do it, but the only other sensible option that I could think of would have been to transfer money to a relative and get them to send a cheque... that seemed fraught with opportunities to go wrong.
I buy a money order at the post office and send it. The bank will issue a similar document but the post office is cheaper.
Old Oct 22nd 2019, 10:02 pm
BE Forum Addict

Thanks for the suggestions. Good to know there are options that work.
Old Nov 9th 2019, 5:47 pm
Forum Regular

Screenwriter is an unknown quantity at this point

Why do pay in to your national insurance?
Old Nov 10th 2019, 3:48 pm
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Screenwriter
Why do pay in to your national insurance?
Because it raises your UK pension.

https://www.gov.uk/voluntary-nationa...-contributions
Old Nov 10th 2019, 4:38 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Siouxie
There's that aspect to it but also it's a matter of responsibility. Funding of health and benefits only works if everyone does his of her bit. It's not a burdensome cost to do the right thing.
Old Nov 10th 2019, 6:50 pm
Forum Regular

Can you elaborate on your point here?
Old Nov 10th 2019, 6:53 pm
Forum Regular

How much is it per year? And does it only matter if you end of retiring in the UK?
Old Nov 12th 2019, 12:08 pm
Assimilated Pauper

Originally Posted by Screenwriter
Can you elaborate on your point here?
Me? I think it's a fairly simple one, state funding of benefits such as pensions depends on the participation of all of society. One should pay one's NI as one should pay one's taxes.
Old Nov 12th 2019, 12:16 pm
BE Forum Addict

Partially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbd33
There's that aspect to it but also it's a matter of responsibility. Funding of health and benefits only works if everyone does his of her bit. It's not a burdensome cost to do the right thing.
Even if you have no intention of living in the UK again?
Old Nov 12th 2019, 1:28 pm
Assimilated Pauper

Originally Posted by Partially discharged
Even if you have no intention of living in the UK again?
Of course. It's not the fault of an inclusive society that some people choose to opt out for a period. People say they'll go and live on a desert island or in some barren wasteland forever but few of them turn out to mean it. If they don't keep up their contributions then, when Shangri-La turns out not to be all that, they'll return and struggle to catch up.
Old Nov 12th 2019, 3:09 pm
BE Forum Addict

jimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by HGerchikov
Has anyone continued to pay their NI contributions after they moved to Canada. If so how do you pay? Do you still have a UK account and pay from that or do you transfer money from a Canadian account?
When I looked at this a few weeks ago it seemed to me that a missing year payment of approx £780 would add £250 a year to the basic state pension. So living 3 years into retirement would result in a benefit overall. 35 years contributions needed for a full basic state pension. Is that how you would see the situation?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.