Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

Name-dropping stories

Name-dropping stories

Old Mar 31st 2007, 10:35 pm
BE Forum Addict

Robin (The Gadget family) has a reputation beyond reputeRobin (The Gadget family) has a reputation beyond reputeRobin (The Gadget family) has a reputation beyond reputeRobin (The Gadget family) has a reputation beyond reputeRobin (The Gadget family) has a reputation beyond reputeRobin (The Gadget family) has a reputation beyond reputeRobin (The Gadget family) has a reputation beyond reputeRobin (The Gadget family) has a reputation beyond reputeRobin (The Gadget family) has a reputation beyond reputeRobin (The Gadget family) has a reputation beyond reputeRobin (The Gadget family) has a reputation beyond repute
Question Name-dropping stories

I've come into contact with lots of well known faces during my career and been a part of some fantastic events in a 'behind the scenes' kind of way.

Back in the early eighties I was a young policewoman on duty at the Royal Festival Hall on the South Bank on the Thames, when Prince Charles and Lady Diana, (as she was then), came to see a show there.

After the show local dignitaries lined up at the entrance to shake hands with the royal couple, and I just happened to be on the end of this line in my appointed position, shoes mirror shiny and my cleanest white gloves on.

Diana came along the line shaking hands and making small talk with each dignitary. She had a habit then of looking at the hand she was shaking before looking up at the owner of the hand, (bless, she really was quite shy), and after the last hand shake, she moved on to me, reached out, and shook my hand, much to my embarrassment, then looked up at me and giggled. so did I and we shared a moment together.

I'll always remember that because having made her mistake she still took the time to have a small chat with me, rather than apologize and move promptly off.

Has anyone else out there got a story about a memorable encounter with anyone famous?
Old Mar 31st 2007, 11:04 pm
little snowy owl

Alberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Name-dropping stories

I saw the queen once, ..... at a polo match at Windsor Great Park.

At least I think it was the queen ........ she was wearing a head-scarf!

Ooh and I did meet Peter Townsend (you know the guy who didn't marry Princess Margaret??) His daughter was staying at my uncle's place when I visited. He was very nice and told me I had a pretty name!

His daughter had French as her first language, and my cousin and I taught her to swear in English!
Old Mar 31st 2007, 11:50 pm
Forum Regular

jood has a brilliant futurejood has a brilliant futurejood has a brilliant futurejood has a brilliant futurejood has a brilliant futurejood has a brilliant futurejood has a brilliant futurejood has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by Morwenna

Ooh and I did meet Peter Townsend (you know the guy who didn't marry Princess Margaret??) His daughter was staying at my uncle's place when I visited. He was very nice and told me I had a pretty name!

His daughter had French as her first language, and my cousin and I taught her to swear in English!

Paul Daniels followed us around Buxton one wet Sunday afternoon, obviously wanting our autographs..........we of course ignored him.

I've also sat next to someone who sat next to Shirley Bassey.

Last edited by jood; Mar 31st 2007 at 11:51 pm. Reason: Forgot about Shirley
Old Apr 1st 2007, 12:48 am
little snowy owl

Alberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jood
Paul Daniels followed us around Buxton one wet Sunday afternoon, obviously wanting our autographs..........we of course ignored him.
Quite right too! These so-called celebrities can be a pain in the but some are OK!
Old Apr 1st 2007, 1:21 am
BE Forum Addict

Robin (The Gadget family) has a reputation beyond reputeRobin (The Gadget family) has a reputation beyond reputeRobin (The Gadget family) has a reputation beyond reputeRobin (The Gadget family) has a reputation beyond reputeRobin (The Gadget family) has a reputation beyond reputeRobin (The Gadget family) has a reputation beyond reputeRobin (The Gadget family) has a reputation beyond reputeRobin (The Gadget family) has a reputation beyond reputeRobin (The Gadget family) has a reputation beyond reputeRobin (The Gadget family) has a reputation beyond reputeRobin (The Gadget family) has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Morwenna

Had to look this Pete Townsend up, Turns out I'm too young to know about this one unless I majored in UK war history! He was quite a pilot too....
Old Apr 1st 2007, 1:58 am
BE Enthusiast

tallperson is a splendid one to beholdtallperson is a splendid one to beholdtallperson is a splendid one to beholdtallperson is a splendid one to beholdtallperson is a splendid one to beholdtallperson is a splendid one to beholdtallperson is a splendid one to beholdtallperson is a splendid one to beholdtallperson is a splendid one to beholdtallperson is a splendid one to beholdtallperson is a splendid one to behold

Well I saw the queen a couple of times when I worked in Westminster. At a distance in the back of a big car but hey!
Also Windsor Davies regularly came to a restaurant where I worked so I served him a few times and Paul Daniels was hard to miss driving along the M40 in a jeep thing with his name blazoned all over it
Old Apr 1st 2007, 2:01 am
Forum Regular

JimandNic is just really niceJimandNic is just really niceJimandNic is just really niceJimandNic is just really niceJimandNic is just really niceJimandNic is just really niceJimandNic is just really niceJimandNic is just really niceJimandNic is just really niceJimandNic is just really niceJimandNic is just really nice

I met Terry Nutkins when I was on a Brownies trip to Waltham Abbey. - I bet no-one even knows who he is/was anymore.

I have obviously led a very sheltered life.
Old Apr 1st 2007, 2:13 am
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

The Duke of Windsor once dropped in at my place of work for a couple of words.

I did not understand either of them.

{in memoriam S. Milligan}
Old Apr 1st 2007, 5:27 am
BE Enthusiast

dormy is a splendid one to beholddormy is a splendid one to beholddormy is a splendid one to beholddormy is a splendid one to beholddormy is a splendid one to beholddormy is a splendid one to beholddormy is a splendid one to beholddormy is a splendid one to beholddormy is a splendid one to beholddormy is a splendid one to beholddormy is a splendid one to behold

I work in the hotel industry and through this have met and served many "celebrities", most of whom are quite forgettable. My most surreal moment was having to throw a very drunken and aggressive Alan Minter out of my hotel bar, without getting punched.

The rudest most obnoxious guest was either Gary Neville or "Sir" Alex Ferguson, who tried to get me sacked as I did not recognise them

Without doubt the nicest and most generous were the Rolling Stones, also Paul McCartney was extremely friendly.

I always found the further down the celebrity guest list someone was the ruder more demanding they were.
Old Apr 1st 2007, 8:20 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond repute

I once met Geoffrey (from Rainbow!) when I was working in an estate agents. Can't say I haven't lived the high life !
Old Apr 1st 2007, 9:15 am
BE Forum Addict

Arris has a reputation beyond reputeArris has a reputation beyond reputeArris has a reputation beyond reputeArris has a reputation beyond reputeArris has a reputation beyond reputeArris has a reputation beyond reputeArris has a reputation beyond reputeArris has a reputation beyond reputeArris has a reputation beyond reputeArris has a reputation beyond reputeArris has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JimandNic
I met Terry Nutkins when I was on a Brownies trip to Waltham Abbey. - I bet no-one even knows who he is/was anymore.

I have obviously led a very sheltered life.
I know who he is , he was great on the telly. I met & had my picture taken with Johnny Morris about 30 years (could be longer ) at a 'farm park' - now who remembers him?
Old Apr 1st 2007, 10:42 am

or4ngecrush is an unknown quantity at this point

he he I met the Queen and Prince Phillip once when I was younger, They were opening the new shopping centre in East Kilbride I even have a dodgy pic of what I looked like at the time, the queen wasnt in the shot but I was in the "East Kilbride" news. I might share it one day.

Hey Madmacs? do you remember when the queen came to EK?

Oh I also used to go to Blackpool to visit the grandparents and used to meet all those comedians in the street you know the ones I mean. e.g. Freddy Starr, Cannon & Ball cant remeber any more I'm sure you guys will know.

Emma
Old Apr 1st 2007, 10:54 am
Account Closed

Beebop is an unknown quantity at this point

My claim to fame is having made the bed (x lots) that Richard Gere slept in when he made a film in Wales & served the Antiques Roadshow people their dinner. I also have a picture of me with Duncan Goodhew from when he presented a children's TV programme!

I also remember Terry Nutkins and I'm sure I heard him on the radio a while back.
Old Apr 1st 2007, 11:13 am

or4ngecrush is an unknown quantity at this point

oh I just remembered a good one,

About two years ago Sean Connery walked by me and I stopped him to say hello he shook my hand (I melted a wee bit) and he was really nice. He must have been staying in Edinburgh, at the Caledonian Hotel.

Emma
Old Apr 1st 2007, 12:05 pm
Scottish Canuck

Cookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by or4ngecrush
oh I just remembered a good one,

About two years ago Sean Connery walked by me and I stopped him to say hello he shook my hand (I melted a wee bit) and he was really nice. He must have been staying in Edinburgh, at the Caledonian Hotel.

Emma
Were you shaken and quite stirred Emma

Whilst in NYC in 2003 not too far from Times Square, I came face to face with Ex Mayor (during 9/11) Rudi Giuliani and his new wife walking arm and arm down the street. I wondered why People were cheering, whistling and clapping in 'my' direction (did I have my knickers tucked into my skirt? ). I felt star struck and my biggest regret is not asking if I could take a photograph .

Have seen the Queen a couple of times throughout the years at parades (Silver Jubilee - am I showing my age???) and a couple of years ago I had finished my p/t job in Aberdeen and was on my way home, stopped at a roundabout to give way to ....... none other that the Queen and her Lady-in-waiting enroute to Balmoral - no huge entourage just police motor cycle, Queen's car, police motor cycle.

Mr Y-c-d has spoken to Princess Ann whilst serving in HM Forces.

Have seen some minor celebs at airports and out and about in Aberdeen when appearing at the theatre - no 'A' list peeps yet......

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.