My trip back 'home'

Old Apr 14th 2009, 1:18 pm
Scottish Canuck

Cookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond repute
Thumbs up My trip back 'home'

Flying back 'home' to Aberdeen on my own seemed surreal, even on the flight. I felt nervous, scared and excited about my first trip back.

Met by my friend at the airport - both of us emotional. Driving back to her house on a route I had driven 1000s of times before seemed strange - the traffic, the speed, the WRONG side of the road

Had a really busy time ahead. My trip was only 8 days long and I stayed with 4 different sets of friends. Had a great night out in town with my old workmates. Lots turned up and many were past employees - had a fab night, finished up with a bag of chips from the chippy - way to go!!!!

Surprised my auntie the next day who was in town having lunch with my mum and other friends. Went to the beach with a friend - enjoyed a lovely bacon buttie made with back bacon.............. yum yum!

My friend drove me around town and showed me all the new buildings. Crikey, who would have thought there would be some many changes in a little over 2 years. To be honest, it really spooked me. Some stores in town had been revamped and old stores like Woolies had gone. Fantastic choice of shopping though and I actually found the prices quite comparable, if not dearer for some clothes (except Primark of course).

Eating out was more expensive given I am now thinking CDN $ exchange - what we pay in $ is what you pay in GBP, same goes for petrol. Went to what was my local Tesco and saw it had another floor built on top Fantastic choice of food. I did compare some prices and found them quite similar too except for biscuits which is really cheap in the UK. Picked up lots of chocolate, chunky oatcakes, Dean's shortbread, broth mix and Tunnocks biscuits. Also bought lots of CDs and DVDs (Gavin and Stacey, The IT Crowd, Benidorm - British comedy is the best in the world ).

My first few days gave me a weird feeling as I shopped in town. School holidays so busy, busy, busy and strangely enough I couldn't get over people speaking with the same accent as myself. Loads of chavvy folk around unfortunately (guy pinning his girlfriend to a wall, shouting in her face in broad daylight in the city centre - both appeared to be on drugs. People just walking past and I don't really blame them because you might well landed up assaulted if you intervene. Very sad indeed but loads of CCTV cameras of course to capture those special moments .

Lots of very fashion concious folk too. Exceedingly high heels are back in fashion, tiny skirts and that was the guys!!!!!!!!! Nah, only joking, guys looked very cool in their smart/casual gear and many seemed to be doing a little bit of a workout and looked really buff

Was totally astounded to see girls out at night dressed in stockings, suspenders, frilly knickers, basque and feather boa - apparently it's called Moulin Rouge and it's how some girls go out pubbing at night Know I know lots of you guys are thinking yum yum, but think DAUGHTER!

As they days passed by I got more and more used to my old surroundings. Never did get used to being a passenger and always felt I was being driven around on the wrong side of the road. I loved driving when I lived there but felt everyone was driving up the @rse of everyone else. Also of course, pedestrians do not have right of way which now seems strange.

Exhausted at the end of my 8 days, I felt I should have booked a longer trip but I had to head back to NS and had mixed feelings. I love living in NS but going back to Aberdeen has tugged some heartstrings. It was fantastic to catch up with all my chums and I miss them.

Arrived back in NS last Friday and back in New Glasgow with my family I know I am home. I have returned to work and am looking forward to catching up with my friends here too. Had a great summer here last year and look forward to the same again this year.

In all the days I was out in Aberdeen city centre (almost every day) I only banged into 2 people from years back. Here in New Glasgow I can be guaranteed to bang into someone I know if I only pop out for a loaf of bread. I even usually bang into someone from NG in Halifax too when I'm down shopping.

I felt invisible in the crowds of Aberdeen and feel like a friend and neighbour here - it's a great feeling
Old Apr 14th 2009, 1:39 pm
Swollen Member

geo4 has a reputation beyond reputegeo4 has a reputation beyond reputegeo4 has a reputation beyond reputegeo4 has a reputation beyond reputegeo4 has a reputation beyond reputegeo4 has a reputation beyond reputegeo4 has a reputation beyond reputegeo4 has a reputation beyond reputegeo4 has a reputation beyond reputegeo4 has a reputation beyond reputegeo4 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: My trip back 'home'

Originally Posted by Yes-can-do
Also bought lots of CDs and DVDs (Gavin and Stacey, The IT Crowd, Benidorm - English comedy is the best in the world ).

:
Fixed.
Old Apr 14th 2009, 1:44 pm
Scottish Canuck

Cookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by geo4
Fixed.
Another thing that pi$$ed me off about the UK Those DVDs aren't only written and acted by English people you know.

Last edited by Cookie; Apr 14th 2009 at 1:53 pm.
Old Apr 14th 2009, 1:52 pm
Swollen Member

geo4 has a reputation beyond reputegeo4 has a reputation beyond reputegeo4 has a reputation beyond reputegeo4 has a reputation beyond reputegeo4 has a reputation beyond reputegeo4 has a reputation beyond reputegeo4 has a reputation beyond reputegeo4 has a reputation beyond reputegeo4 has a reputation beyond reputegeo4 has a reputation beyond reputegeo4 has a reputation beyond repute

Another thing that pi$$ed me off about the UK
LOL
Old Apr 14th 2009, 1:53 pm
Banned

livermanl has a reputation beyond reputelivermanl has a reputation beyond reputelivermanl has a reputation beyond reputelivermanl has a reputation beyond reputelivermanl has a reputation beyond reputelivermanl has a reputation beyond reputelivermanl has a reputation beyond reputelivermanl has a reputation beyond reputelivermanl has a reputation beyond reputelivermanl has a reputation beyond reputelivermanl has a reputation beyond repute

Another thing that pi$$ed me off about the UK
The English?

That was a nice post I had the same sort of feelings when I went over the difference with me, although I was glad to be 'home' (In Winnipeg) I would have prefered it if I was calling the UK 'home' if you get my meaning.
Old Apr 14th 2009, 1:54 pm
Swollen Member

Here in New Glasgow :
I was there on business last month. Only a flying visit- pubs looked good though!
Old Apr 14th 2009, 1:58 pm
Scottish Canuck

Originally Posted by livermanl
The English?
No, I am not an English, Irish or Welsh-bashing Scot but do feel offended when the other UK countries outside of England are deliberately put down or ignored
Old Apr 14th 2009, 3:28 pm
BE Enthusiast

rach_woz99 has much to be proud ofrach_woz99 has much to be proud ofrach_woz99 has much to be proud ofrach_woz99 has much to be proud ofrach_woz99 has much to be proud ofrach_woz99 has much to be proud ofrach_woz99 has much to be proud ofrach_woz99 has much to be proud ofrach_woz99 has much to be proud ofrach_woz99 has much to be proud ofrach_woz99 has much to be proud of

Sounds like you had a great time - welcome home
Old Apr 14th 2009, 5:10 pm
BE Enthusiast

mumof2 is just really nicemumof2 is just really nicemumof2 is just really nicemumof2 is just really nicemumof2 is just really nicemumof2 is just really nicemumof2 is just really nicemumof2 is just really nicemumof2 is just really nicemumof2 is just really nicemumof2 is just really nice

I recently went back for a visit to the UK - Milton Keynes to be exact & whilst it was fab to meet up with family, friends etc.. I found the whole experience really traumatic, I mean going up the shopping centre looking for a car park space i was reduced to a quivering wreck when someone tried to steal my space.

When i lived in the Uk I would have been "yeah come on just try & steal my space" this time i was just shaken at the mere thought

I have only been away 18 months, amazing what a more laid back lifestyle can do for you !

Shops were FAB though, wish they had them here in NS & definitely agree about the British TV/Comedy.

NS is DEFINITELY my home now

Michelle
Old Apr 14th 2009, 5:34 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

That was an enjoyable read.
Old Apr 14th 2009, 5:44 pm
Blah Blah Blah Blah Blah

Lorna_D has a reputation beyond reputeLorna_D has a reputation beyond reputeLorna_D has a reputation beyond reputeLorna_D has a reputation beyond reputeLorna_D has a reputation beyond reputeLorna_D has a reputation beyond reputeLorna_D has a reputation beyond reputeLorna_D has a reputation beyond reputeLorna_D has a reputation beyond reputeLorna_D has a reputation beyond reputeLorna_D has a reputation beyond repute

I went back to Wales for the first time a few weeks ago. The traffic on the M4 from Heathrow frightened me to death

South Wales, hasn't changed, just more shops closed down. My lovely children hadn't changed, but my grandchildren had grown too much My mother looked a little smaller

We only went for 11 days and it was very tiring fitting it all in, didn't get to see everyone but it was more important to be with my immediate family.

Would I return to live - no way.

Glad you enjoyed yourself
Old Apr 14th 2009, 7:09 pm
BE Enthusiast

NovaGirl is a splendid one to beholdNovaGirl is a splendid one to beholdNovaGirl is a splendid one to beholdNovaGirl is a splendid one to beholdNovaGirl is a splendid one to beholdNovaGirl is a splendid one to beholdNovaGirl is a splendid one to beholdNovaGirl is a splendid one to beholdNovaGirl is a splendid one to beholdNovaGirl is a splendid one to beholdNovaGirl is a splendid one to behold

Hi YCD

I have to say i was curious about your trip & how you got on, i am so glad it went well.

We haven't been back to the UK since we Immigrated in 2006. I did wonder if i would feel a pull towards the UK if we visited even though i have never felt homesick?

Welcome back.

NG x
Old Apr 14th 2009, 7:34 pm
C'mon already

kazbob has a reputation beyond reputekazbob has a reputation beyond reputekazbob has a reputation beyond reputekazbob has a reputation beyond reputekazbob has a reputation beyond reputekazbob has a reputation beyond reputekazbob has a reputation beyond reputekazbob has a reputation beyond reputekazbob has a reputation beyond reputekazbob has a reputation beyond reputekazbob has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Joyce, so good to hear that you had a great time. Have you hidden all the chocolate away?

Welcome home, to NS that is.

Karen x
Old Apr 14th 2009, 7:41 pm
Scottish Canuck

Originally Posted by kazbob
Hi Joyce, so good to hear that you had a great time. Have you hidden all the chocolate away?

Welcome home, to NS that is.

Karen x

Ha ha, you know me well
Old Apr 14th 2009, 7:51 pm
Citizenship Nov 10 2016!!

nikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond repute

Great post YCD, glad you had a nice time and that you are happy to be back "home"

See you soon

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.