Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

My Nice Canada Story.....

My Nice Canada Story.....

Old Jan 7th 2009, 11:49 pm
Forum Regular

DearAlly is just really niceDearAlly is just really niceDearAlly is just really niceDearAlly is just really niceDearAlly is just really niceDearAlly is just really niceDearAlly is just really niceDearAlly is just really niceDearAlly is just really niceDearAlly is just really niceDearAlly is just really nice
Default My Nice Canada Story.....

I just wanted to share this.

When we first arrived here we didn't have a car or a place to live. We phoned about a 1-bed suite in the paper, only to find it wasn't on the bus route. "Don't worry, we'll come and pick you up", the guy said.

So the landlord (Pat) picked us up and we fell in love with the place. Next step was to find a car. The landlord said he knew a friend in the car business and he'd take us there. So off we went. Pat made the introductions at the car dealership and went back to work.

The guy at the dealership, Terry, didn't really have anything for us (well, nothing in our price range anyhow!). We said we'd walk back to the hostel we were staying at (until the suite was available). Terry would have none of it. He offered to drive us to another car dealership (completely different company so there was no benefit to him). He dropped us off at the next place and we found our motor. Whilst we were sorting the money out etc, Terry rings to see if we'd found anything or if we needed a lift back to the hostel!!

So we've been living in the suite for about 6 weeks now. When we moved in, the landlord and his wife had bought us dishwasher powder, toiletries etc and one night, when it was particularly cold, they knocked on the door with a blanket each so we'd be warm watching TV in the evenings!

We spent a wondeful Christmas dinner with them and their family, we really couldn't have met nicer people. They are amazing!

We honestly thought you couldn't meet nicer people than those we came across in New Zealand, but Canada - I think you may just be winning!

Thanks for reading! xx
Old Jan 8th 2009, 12:16 am
Banned

Auld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: My Nice Canada Story.....

That gives an old fart like me a lump in the throat.
Old Jan 8th 2009, 12:18 am

AmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by brianscottie43
Nicely put Brianscottie43!
Old Jan 8th 2009, 12:22 am
Forum Regular

AyrLass is just really niceAyrLass is just really niceAyrLass is just really niceAyrLass is just really niceAyrLass is just really niceAyrLass is just really niceAyrLass is just really niceAyrLass is just really niceAyrLass is just really niceAyrLass is just really niceAyrLass is just really nice

DearAlly, I love your story, thanks for sharing it!
Old Jan 8th 2009, 12:32 am

Steve_P is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by brianscottie43
Oi...define old fart please.
Old Jan 8th 2009, 12:37 am
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

One of the nicest things about this story is that it's not even surprising.
Old Jan 8th 2009, 12:44 am
Forum Regular

DearAlly is just really niceDearAlly is just really niceDearAlly is just really niceDearAlly is just really niceDearAlly is just really niceDearAlly is just really niceDearAlly is just really niceDearAlly is just really niceDearAlly is just really niceDearAlly is just really niceDearAlly is just really nice

I should've mentioned too that when I told mine and my partner's parents about how well we were being looked after they decided to get together and send a parcel to our landlords from Wales.

They filled it with letters of appreciation, Christmas cards and photos of our families, including the last moment we were all together before we got on the plane to Canada. The landlord and his wife were made up.

So, you see us Brits aren't all that bad either!!!
Old Jan 8th 2009, 2:00 am
Banned

startwin has a reputation beyond reputestartwin has a reputation beyond reputestartwin has a reputation beyond reputestartwin has a reputation beyond reputestartwin has a reputation beyond reputestartwin has a reputation beyond reputestartwin has a reputation beyond reputestartwin has a reputation beyond reputestartwin has a reputation beyond reputestartwin has a reputation beyond reputestartwin has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DearAlly
I should've mentioned too that when I told mine and my partner's parents about how well we were being looked after they decided to get together and send a parcel to our landlords from Wales.

They filled it with letters of appreciation, Christmas cards and photos of our families, including the last moment we were all together before we got on the plane to Canada. The landlord and his wife were made up.

Lovely story, and it just goes to show that doing a good deed brings a good deed.
Old Jan 8th 2009, 2:03 am
Banned

Auld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond repute

More throat lumps, I'm pleased to say.
Old Jan 8th 2009, 2:47 am

moondevil will become famous soon enoughmoondevil will become famous soon enough

Fantastic story, i have to say that we have found the same here with the canadians....
We was only here a few days when we got stopped with a nice lady, she invited us for drinks and gave us a TV for the kids.
Have to say we have kept in contact, also guy round corner called us his friends and contacts and managed to get a fab deal on car.

I have to admit that is why i will help everyone i can, i freecycle what i no longer need and i am at hand for anyone that needs help
This move is about learning a new way of life, well done you and welcome to canada
Old Jan 8th 2009, 2:48 am

Piff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond repute

What a lovely start - I think most of us have a bit of a story - but that ones fab!
Old Jan 8th 2009, 3:05 am
Forum Regular

Tracie107 has much to be proud ofTracie107 has much to be proud ofTracie107 has much to be proud ofTracie107 has much to be proud ofTracie107 has much to be proud ofTracie107 has much to be proud ofTracie107 has much to be proud ofTracie107 has much to be proud ofTracie107 has much to be proud ofTracie107 has much to be proud ofTracie107 has much to be proud of

It's nice to know there are still kind hearted people in the world
Old Jan 8th 2009, 4:34 am
Lloydminster AB

kate white has a reputation beyond reputekate white has a reputation beyond reputekate white has a reputation beyond reputekate white has a reputation beyond reputekate white has a reputation beyond reputekate white has a reputation beyond reputekate white has a reputation beyond reputekate white has a reputation beyond reputekate white has a reputation beyond reputekate white has a reputation beyond reputekate white has a reputation beyond repute

yeah and people like us OLD farts are kind,even if we are not canadians, we tend to mellow over the years good to hear there is kindness out there when people need it
Old Jan 8th 2009, 4:37 am
Forum Regular

Yeah they are great people, not to mention the lovely lady Monica (who runs the Okanagan forum) and her hubby who donated their leftover Christmas decorations to us. Made the house very homely as money was in short supply to buy decs. We had budgeted the same amount of money moving here that we used to get set up in NZ, boy we were off by a little bit!! It's all coming together slowly though. We live simply enough, but of course we make sure there is enough for our snowboarding hobby!!! I can't drive the car in the bloody white stuff so I may as well get some enjoyment out of it!!

xx

PS Yes, old farts are the best, you don't see them fighting outside the kebab shop at 2am so it must be true that we mellow with age. Although I have an interesting story about 'plane rage' whilst travelling to NZ. Two guys who were well into their 70s started throwing punches at each other on the plane!
Old Jan 8th 2009, 4:47 am
Lloydminster AB

kate white has a reputation beyond reputekate white has a reputation beyond reputekate white has a reputation beyond reputekate white has a reputation beyond reputekate white has a reputation beyond reputekate white has a reputation beyond reputekate white has a reputation beyond reputekate white has a reputation beyond reputekate white has a reputation beyond reputekate white has a reputation beyond reputekate white has a reputation beyond repute

Yeah they are great people, not to mention the lovely lady Monica (who runs the Okanagan forum) and her hubby who donated their leftover Christmas decorations to us. Made the house very homely as money was in short supply to buy decs. We had budgeted the same amount of money moving here that we used to get set up in NZ, boy we were off by a little bit!! It's all coming together slowly though. We live simply enough, but of course we make sure there is enough for our snowboarding hobby!!! I can't drive the car in the bloody white stuff so I may as well get some enjoyment out of it!!

xx

PS Yes, old farts are the best, you don't see them fighting outside the kebab shop at 2am so it must be true that we mellow with age. Although I have an interesting story about 'plane rage' whilst travelling to NZ. Two guys who were well into their 70s started throwing punches at each other on the plane!

what a sight that must have been yeah I think once you get older we do mellow but 2 old dears fighting on the plane that made me laugh just the thought of it

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.