Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

Multi factor authentication in online banking in Canada?

Multi factor authentication in online banking in Canada?

Old Jun 25th 2023, 1:14 pm
BE Enthusiast

OrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond repute
Default Multi factor authentication in online banking in Canada?

Are bank only going to accept smart phone apps in Canada if mutlifactor authenication in online banking is done?

The problem I have, is that I don't have a smart phone and am often in a location where there is internet access, but no phone reception.

This "smart phone apps crase" is in my opinion a bit scary when it comes ot multi factor authenication. And then there is also my personal scare that cell phones and apps on cell phones can be hacked.

Many other banks like HSBC in the UK or others in Europe do offer some key-pad. It seems they are not that common in Canada?

Any ideas on this?
Old Jun 25th 2023, 2:38 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Multi factor authentication in online banking in Canada?

It's not always obvious but sometimes there's a hidden option, like personal questions. They used to be offered as part of the process but I discovered that by clicking on "code/test not received" other options were then offered.

I don't have a smart phone either, just a land line.
Old Jun 25th 2023, 5:13 pm
dah diddly dah

btar has a reputation beyond reputebtar has a reputation beyond reputebtar has a reputation beyond reputebtar has a reputation beyond reputebtar has a reputation beyond reputebtar has a reputation beyond reputebtar has a reputation beyond reputebtar has a reputation beyond reputebtar has a reputation beyond reputebtar has a reputation beyond reputebtar has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BristolUK
It's not always obvious but sometimes there's a hidden option, like personal questions. They used to be offered as part of the process but I discovered that by clicking on "code/test not received" other options were then offered.

I don't have a smart phone either, just a land line.
-

I would very much welcome an alternative to 2FA as I worry about losing or having my phone stolen and for that reason, plus the growing danger of having the phone hacked, resist using any sort of app where possible. Sometimes it is necessary to load an app just to get info to access a website. Take BC's Health Gateway for example https://www.healthgateway.gov.bc.ca/ it claims to offer log-in by BC Services Card but to do that, an app must be installed to get a password!! It also states "You do not need a username and password to log in from a computer or laptop. You can use the mobile app." How do I get a mobile app on my computer or laptop? What am I missing?

Old Jun 25th 2023, 7:07 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by btar
-

I would very much welcome an alternative to 2FA as I worry about losing or having my phone stolen and for that reason, plus the growing danger of having the phone hacked, resist using any sort of app where possible. Sometimes it is necessary to load an app just to get info to access a website. Take BC's Health Gateway for example https://www.healthgateway.gov.bc.ca/ it claims to offer log-in by BC Services Card but to do that, an app must be installed to get a password!! It also states "You do not need a username and password to log in from a computer or laptop. You can use the mobile app." How do I get a mobile app on my computer or laptop? What am I missing?
I'm sure tech experts will know but App seems to me to be too much of an all embracing term.

I have apps for Netflix on my computer as well as access to the normal website and also Netflix app on the smart TV, firestick and so on.

I have an app for my bank on a tablet that can take a picture of a cheque and make a deposit to the account but as far as I know there isn't one from that bank for a computer.

Fortunately my bank isn't insisting on texting a cellphone I don't have, I can get a voice code on my landline.

Thinking about it more, I think I have two different accounts where selecting no code/text received has allowed me to choose an alternative.
Old Jun 29th 2023, 5:47 pm
Resident Maple Leaf Lush

sharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond repute

TD had it's own TD Authenticate app which you use to generate a code that you enter when you login to the website on a computer, and I suspect their TD app would use that code too, if you're not using something like fingerprint or face ID to unlock the app.

I personally prefer using a 2FA app such as Authy to add in logins that support 2FA codes. I have the app on my phone and my computer, and the data syncs between the two.

I would very much like it if other banks, eg Tangerine, and also the CRA website would add that level of 2FA authentication, rather than using a code that is sent via SMS, as it is possible for people to port out your phone number and thus get the security SMS and login. This leads nicely into me wishing public mobile also adopted the 2FA app code approach rather than SMS codes, because you'd think a cell provider would be very aware of the port out issue and would want to make log in to a users account not just using sms codes.
Old Jun 29th 2023, 6:42 pm
BE Enthusiast

bc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sharkus
TD had it's own TD Authenticate app which you use to generate a code that you enter when you login to the website on a computer, and I suspect their TD app would use that code too, if you're not using something like fingerprint or face ID to unlock the app.

I personally prefer using a 2FA app such as Authy to add in logins that support 2FA codes. I have the app on my phone and my computer, and the data syncs between the two.

I would very much like it if other banks, eg Tangerine, and also the CRA website would add that level of 2FA authentication, rather than using a code that is sent via SMS, as it is possible for people to port out your phone number and thus get the security SMS and login. This leads nicely into me wishing public mobile also adopted the 2FA app code approach rather than SMS codes, because you'd think a cell provider would be very aware of the port out issue and would want to make log in to a users account not just using sms codes.
You can use your bank as a sign in partner for CRA and then you need the app to sign into your bank and then an SMS to sign into CRA.
Old Jun 29th 2023, 7:17 pm
Oscar nominated

Maybe we should just go back to card readers.
Old Jun 30th 2023, 2:31 pm
BE Forum Addict

shelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond repute

cash is king