MP3 player

Old Jun 17th 2008, 9:04 pm
BE Forum Addict

Purley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond repute
Default MP3 player

Can someone suggest something that will play mp3s loudly outside? I thought about an iPod but they are pretty expensive and the players are not cheap either. My son suggested burning a load of mp3s and buying a player. He said that if I burn mp3s I can have loads more different music than if I just got a CD player, because you can fit more mp3s on the disk.

My neighbour has started doing welding work (probably illegally) out of his garage. There is just the back alley between his garage and my yard and it makes a HORRENDOUS noise! I did some recordings and put them on youtube. I have complained to the City, but we have known these people for about 30 years. My husband says that they are ignorant and even if the city tell them to stop the noise, he will just ignore them. What kind of a person other than an ignorant, inconsiderate person would make this kind of noise in a residential area?

Anyway, here is the noise taken from my deck. It went on for about three hours this morning! Assuming that even if the City manage to eventually stop it, I would prefer to listen to music to drown out the sound in the meantime. I cannot concentrate on reading a book. Even inside the house and wearing a headset - I can still hear it - with the windows closed! What I need is an mp3 player that is powerful enough that if I stand it on the railing of my deck, it will drown out this noise:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=USfKXVAuJJY

(That is just one example from this morning. It goes on almost every day.)

Last edited by Purley; Jun 17th 2008 at 9:08 pm.
Old Jun 18th 2008, 11:30 am
BE Forum Addict

cov-canuck is a splendid one to beholdcov-canuck is a splendid one to beholdcov-canuck is a splendid one to beholdcov-canuck is a splendid one to beholdcov-canuck is a splendid one to beholdcov-canuck is a splendid one to beholdcov-canuck is a splendid one to beholdcov-canuck is a splendid one to beholdcov-canuck is a splendid one to beholdcov-canuck is a splendid one to beholdcov-canuck is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: MP3 player

I can understand recording it, but why on earth would you put it on YouTube???
Old Jun 18th 2008, 7:18 pm
BE Forum Addict

Purley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond repute

Well, so that I could send it to the bylaw department at the City. Its not the activity I object to - its the noise and even a really short video taken on a camera is too long to email. I figured if I just said he was welding or grinding or whatever, they city might think it was nothing so I thought it would be a better illustration if I showed them how loud the noise was. Maybe that way they don't even have to go out there and see for themselves. I don't know.

I am happy to play music to drown the noise, but when I looked for mp3 CD players they all seemed to be DVD players or little portable things. I'll have to go and look in Walmart. They seem to have electronic stuff cheap.
Old Jun 18th 2008, 11:02 pm
Islander

windward is a name known to allwindward is a name known to allwindward is a name known to allwindward is a name known to allwindward is a name known to allwindward is a name known to allwindward is a name known to allwindward is a name known to allwindward is a name known to allwindward is a name known to allwindward is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Purley
I am happy to play music to drown the noise, but when I looked for mp3 CD players they all seemed to be DVD players or little portable things. I'll have to go and look in Walmart. They seem to have electronic stuff cheap.
You'll be hard pressed to find a home stereo that doesn't play mp3 CDs these days. If you're not certain just check for an MP3 logo on the box or CD deck - should look something like this

Old Jun 18th 2008, 11:14 pm

minihaha is an unknown quantity at this point

Oh Purley you have just had me in stitches putting it on You tube like that

If he is such an ignorant pig can you go to your local council in person and kick up a right stink about it. Go armed with your recording's and phone numbers of your local paper and Mayors office and explain that if something is not done asap then you will have to use other means to get some peace and quiet.

I live on a new build community and at 7.30 am every day of the week I am woke by the noise of drilling and hammering that shake my house. I just have to accept that tho hey ho.

You should do all you can to get him to at least keep it to a minium as he is in a residential area. That's what noise by laws are for arnt they.

Good luck and thanks for the chuckle

mrs minihaha
Old Jun 19th 2008, 1:18 am
BE Forum Addict

Well, what I did was email it to the Mayor. I only did that because there is no email address for the bylaw dept. He just forwarded it on to the bylaw people. As I said, I figured it was evidence of the noise and perhaps it would save the bylaw people having to go out and catch him at it - although it's not hard!

You know what the problem is? Its the fact that nobody gives a s**t about other people any more. Sorry if I am sounding my age but that is the truth. It used to be that if someone had said to this guy "You should do some welding in your garage on the side." He would probably have said that this was an industrial job and not suitable in a residential area because it would annoy the neighbours. Nowadays people do as they please because they could care less about annoying the neighbours.

As my husband said about these people "I'm sorry" are not words that are in their language.

If my granddaughter is outside with the boom box blasting out, I will get her an extension cord and put the thing just outside the pool fence so they can still hear it but it doesn't have to be so loud.

I suppose I shouldn't generalize because there are probably quite a few people who are considerate of others, but the majority are not. I suppose I am now getting into "what is wrong with society today" but its true - the majority of people have no consideration for others, they have no respect for other people, other people's property, the police -- you name it.

And to go back to the original subject - I went to Walmart and there for $69.95 was a boom box thing that plays mp3s. Couldn't find much cheaper than that.
Old Jun 19th 2008, 9:35 pm
BE Enthusiast

PaulandNikki has much to be proud ofPaulandNikki has much to be proud ofPaulandNikki has much to be proud ofPaulandNikki has much to be proud ofPaulandNikki has much to be proud ofPaulandNikki has much to be proud ofPaulandNikki has much to be proud ofPaulandNikki has much to be proud ofPaulandNikki has much to be proud ofPaulandNikki has much to be proud ofPaulandNikki has much to be proud of

You want some noise cancelling headphones rather than a really loud MP3 player, you're less likely to go deaf that way
Old Jun 19th 2008, 10:21 pm
BE Forum Addict

good point!