Movie Thread: TNG

Old Oct 15th 2017, 10:25 am
Yo

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Movie Thread: TNG

Originally Posted by BristolUK
Once in a while a movie comes along that blows you away. And you wonder "how did I not hear of that before?" Why did it not win a bunch of awards or, at least, some nominations?

My Old Lady
takes place in glorious Paris, but 'ordinary' Paris. I don't recall a single view of the Eiffel Tower. Or Sacré-Coeur.
The plot revolves around an American who inherits an apartment previously sold "en viager" - a purchaser with a lump sum (‘bouquet’) buys a house from an elderly person. For as long as the vendor lives, the purchaser pays them a monthly sum, or annuity, as instalments. The new owner continues to pay this ‘rente viagère’ until the vendor’s death.

Maggie Smith is wonderful as ever and Kevin Kline...well I never knew he had it in him. Kristin Scott Thomas made up a terrific threesome.

There are still some movies that excel over TV

On Netflix by the way.
Not a big fan of Maggie Smith, but I like understated drama films so might give this a try.
Old Oct 15th 2017, 12:13 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Oink
Can’t anyone write a film without boring the naff out of everybody?

When does the new Paddinton film come out? It’s got to be better than this . . .
Is there a new Paddington on the way? I must get my skates on and watch the other one. What was it that bored you?
Old Oct 15th 2017, 12:27 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Shard
Not a big fan of Maggie Smith, but I like understated drama films so might give this a try.
Not drama but have you seen Keeping Mum?
Not the "usual" Maggie Smith role. Mischievous.

For understated drama try The Best Offer
Old Oct 18th 2017, 12:10 am
Oscar nominated

Atomic Blonde

Dullsville.
Old Oct 18th 2017, 2:38 am
BE Forum Addict

Teaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond repute

Not drama but have you seen Keeping Mum?
Not the "usual" Maggie Smith role. Mischievous.

[/URL]
Might give this a try. Enjoyed 'The lady in the van' recently.
Old Nov 26th 2017, 12:43 am
Oscar nominated

Kingsman: The Golden Circle
Not the charm (if I remember correctly) of the original but still not bad.

Couple of laugh out loud moments and rollicking good fun in the last third for reasons I'm not going to say. It came as a complete surprise to me.

No spoilers for anyone who doesn't know please.
Old Dec 26th 2017, 12:42 am
Oscar nominated

For anyone familiar with Dominique Abel and Fiona Gordon - Rumba and The Fairy - and their 'visual' quirky humour, Lost In Paris is another delight.

If you're not familiar, you should give them a go.

Old Dec 29th 2017, 12:30 am
Oscar nominated

The Late Bloomer - benign tumour causes guy to miss puberty, until it's removed when he's 30 and then puberty hits.

Immature giggles abound but this romcom's heart is in the right place.
Old Dec 29th 2017, 8:52 am
Yo

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute

"Before We Go" a kind of "Before Sunrise" set in NYC.
Old Dec 29th 2017, 10:35 am
Oscar nominated

"Before We Go" a kind of "Before Sunrise" set in NYC.
Before Sunrise - love that. I must get around to watching Before Sunset soon before death.
Old Dec 29th 2017, 1:22 pm
Yo

Before Sunrise - love that. I must get around to watching Before Sunset soon before death.
Yes, they're all very good. Three in the series.

Same actor was in Boyhood too.
Old Dec 29th 2017, 6:13 pm
Oscar nominated

Yes, they're all very good. Three in the series..
Yes...that's why it's especially disgraceful I have yet to see the second.
I still love the bit where each looks at the other and looks away before the other one looks.

It looks different but I think this must be it.

Old Dec 29th 2017, 11:15 pm
Yo

I don't recall that particular scene, but it was such a nuanced film. "Before We Go" has slightly more of plot to it, but still captures the innocence in human attraction, albeit with a slightly older couple.
Old Dec 29th 2017, 11:24 pm
Oscar nominated

I watched Home For Christmas tonight, a Brit Romcom with a few unknowns. Some nice moments that just took you by surprise. Like the pumpkin scene.
Old Dec 29th 2017, 11:51 pm

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

I watched Home For Christmas tonight, a Brit Romcom with a few unknowns. Some nice moments that just took you by surprise. Like the pumpkin scene.
Got a link?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.