Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

Moved: Violent Britain

Moved: Violent Britain

Old Aug 24th 2007, 10:47 pm
mclauchlan35

mclauchlan35 is a glorious beacon of lightmclauchlan35 is a glorious beacon of lightmclauchlan35 is a glorious beacon of lightmclauchlan35 is a glorious beacon of lightmclauchlan35 is a glorious beacon of lightmclauchlan35 is a glorious beacon of lightmclauchlan35 is a glorious beacon of lightmclauchlan35 is a glorious beacon of lightmclauchlan35 is a glorious beacon of lightmclauchlan35 is a glorious beacon of lightmclauchlan35 is a glorious beacon of light
Default Moved: Violent Britain

Rhys Jones Born 27/09/1995 shot dead 22/08/2007 also in Lanarkshire a 7 year old boy slashes a 10 year old with a knife!

I watch the news and read the paper like everybody else every day, sometimes I find it hard to believe what goes on in the UK although I'm sure Canadian shores are not perfect I have to believe violence is not escalating like it is here.

I have two young Girls 10 and 5 I'm almost frightened to let them out.

For young Rhys, GOD REST HIS YOUNG SOLE. I shed a tear for his family after watching them in the news and I have to say for them I am absoutely.

Gutted
Old Aug 24th 2007, 11:25 pm
BE Enthusiast

wizzard has much to be proud ofwizzard has much to be proud ofwizzard has much to be proud ofwizzard has much to be proud ofwizzard has much to be proud ofwizzard has much to be proud ofwizzard has much to be proud ofwizzard has much to be proud ofwizzard has much to be proud ofwizzard has much to be proud ofwizzard has much to be proud of
Default Re: Violent Britain

Don't move to Toronto then. Actually it's perfectly safe and a great place to live but there are just as many headline grabbing 24/7 incidents of pointless violence to report. Most taken in context happen in certain areas/neighbourhoods and usually involve people known to each other but there is the fair share of bystander 'wrong place wrong time' stuff like 15 year old girls shot on boxing day while shopping and 12 year old kids shot in their schools and so forth. In truth violent crime is decreasing but the number reported in the news increases in an attempt to fill the demand for 24 hour news about everything, the detail is more explicit etc.
If you have a look at violent crime going back through the decades it rarely changes and people were just as insane then as they are now.
Old Aug 25th 2007, 12:17 am
BE Enthusiast

celine_uk is a glorious beacon of lightceline_uk is a glorious beacon of lightceline_uk is a glorious beacon of lightceline_uk is a glorious beacon of lightceline_uk is a glorious beacon of lightceline_uk is a glorious beacon of lightceline_uk is a glorious beacon of lightceline_uk is a glorious beacon of lightceline_uk is a glorious beacon of lightceline_uk is a glorious beacon of lightceline_uk is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by mclauchlan35
Rhys Jones Born 27/09/1995 shot dead 22/08/2007 also in Lanarkshire a 7 year old boy slashes a 10 year old with a knife!

I watch the news and read the paper like everybody else every day, sometimes I find it hard to believe what goes on in the UK although I'm sure Canadian shores are not perfect I have to believe violence is not escalating like it is here.

I have two young Girls 10 and 5 I'm almost frightened to let them out.

For young Rhys, GOD REST HIS YOUNG SOLE. I shed a tear for his family after watching them in the news and I have to say for them I am absoutely.

Gutted
im sure shooting are rare in england compared to toronto for sure
Old Aug 25th 2007, 2:44 am
Cynically amused.

dingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by celine_uk
They are. I have lost count of the local shootings/stabbings/criminal incidents round here in the past few weeks. I wonder what type of society people think they are coming to, Anne of Green Gables with an iPod?
Old Aug 25th 2007, 2:54 am
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dingbat
They are. I have lost count of the local shootings/stabbings/criminal incidents round here in the past few weeks. I wonder what type of society people think they are coming to, Anne of Green Gables with an iPod?
Much as it pains me to say it, I think the emigrants have a point. The rate of youth crime in urban Canada and urban England is, I think, about the same but in both countries it's localised. People emigrating from the UK carry equity with them, they sell houses in dodgy areas and have enough to buy into better areas in Canada, they see less crime and it is better for them. The fact that, if they had more money in the UK they could buy the same lack of crime is irrelevant to them, Canada's better because they are relatively better off.
Old Aug 25th 2007, 2:55 am
Cynically amused.

dingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbd33
Much as it pains me to say it, I think the emigrants have a point. The rate of youth crime in urban Canada and urban England is, I think, about the same but in both countries it's localised. People emigrating from the UK carry equity with them, they sell houses in dodgy areas and have enough to buy into better areas in Canada, they see less crime and it is better for them. The fact that, if they had more money in the UK they could buy the same lack of crime is irrelevant to them, Canada's better because they are relatively better off.
So that would explain it. I came from a relatively decent part of London and ended up in hell. No seriously, I do see your point, of course.
Old Aug 25th 2007, 3:01 am
BE Forum Addict

Calgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond repute

Anne of Green Gables with an iPod?
LOL
Old Aug 25th 2007, 3:15 am

Mrs Miggins is an unknown quantity at this point

Quite! I agree!

Mrs M x
Old Aug 25th 2007, 7:27 am
BE Forum Addict

Craftybanshee has a reputation beyond reputeCraftybanshee has a reputation beyond reputeCraftybanshee has a reputation beyond reputeCraftybanshee has a reputation beyond reputeCraftybanshee has a reputation beyond reputeCraftybanshee has a reputation beyond reputeCraftybanshee has a reputation beyond reputeCraftybanshee has a reputation beyond reputeCraftybanshee has a reputation beyond reputeCraftybanshee has a reputation beyond reputeCraftybanshee has a reputation beyond repute

Anne of Green Gables with an iPod?

I can just imagine! Burn her she's a witch! Scream the locals when they see Anne ....
Old Aug 25th 2007, 7:59 am
mclauchlan35

mclauchlan35 is a glorious beacon of lightmclauchlan35 is a glorious beacon of lightmclauchlan35 is a glorious beacon of lightmclauchlan35 is a glorious beacon of lightmclauchlan35 is a glorious beacon of lightmclauchlan35 is a glorious beacon of lightmclauchlan35 is a glorious beacon of lightmclauchlan35 is a glorious beacon of lightmclauchlan35 is a glorious beacon of lightmclauchlan35 is a glorious beacon of lightmclauchlan35 is a glorious beacon of light

It just seems that the Serious Youth crimes are escalating in the uk at a alarming rate.
Old Aug 25th 2007, 3:29 pm
BE Enthusiast

celine_uk is a glorious beacon of lightceline_uk is a glorious beacon of lightceline_uk is a glorious beacon of lightceline_uk is a glorious beacon of lightceline_uk is a glorious beacon of lightceline_uk is a glorious beacon of lightceline_uk is a glorious beacon of lightceline_uk is a glorious beacon of lightceline_uk is a glorious beacon of lightceline_uk is a glorious beacon of lightceline_uk is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by mclauchlan35
It just seems that the Serious Youth crimes are escalating in the uk at a alarming rate.
people get shot here every week... but then again i dont live the jane/finch area of toronto, the media here in canada reports that deaths caused by guns is very low in the UK compared to north America and that is simply because it far easier to get firearms here im sure, you can go into Canadian tire and buy ammo for god sakes lol
Old Aug 25th 2007, 3:29 pm
BE Enthusiast

very good point dbd33
Old Aug 25th 2007, 3:34 pm
Robin

rlogan will become famous soon enoughrlogan will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Moved: Violent Britain

Move as far West as you can. Its all Peace and Love here
We have one cop on duty at any one time in our community of 11,000 and he/she usually spend the night sittng outside the bar making sure people dont drive home.
Old Aug 25th 2007, 4:34 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

people get shot here every week... but then again i dont live the jane/finch area of toronto, the media here in canada reports that deaths caused by guns is very low in the UK compared to north America and that is simply because it far easier to get firearms here im sure, you can go into Canadian tire and buy ammo for god sakes lol
Four people have been shot dead within half a mile of our office in the past two years and it's downtown, not at Jane/Finch. My daughter works in a trauma unit of a hospital here and always has at least one patient with a GSW, one week all the patients had been shot. Mostly they're shot while in the area called the entertainment district.

We hear a lot here about knife crime in the UK, at which my American partner mutters "see, gun control does work". Maybe Canadians are less violent than Brits but understand that here everyone who is mildly interested in having a gun can have one. Getting a gun in the UK is still not something every fourteen year old can do.
Old Aug 25th 2007, 7:01 pm
Canadian Outlaw

RobinHood is a name known to allRobinHood is a name known to allRobinHood is a name known to allRobinHood is a name known to allRobinHood is a name known to allRobinHood is a name known to allRobinHood is a name known to allRobinHood is a name known to allRobinHood is a name known to allRobinHood is a name known to allRobinHood is a name known to all

He's right you know.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.