Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

Moved: is there anyway to download BBC radio shows to listen offline?

Moved: is there anyway to download BBC radio shows to listen offline?

Old Nov 5th 2007, 3:19 am
BE Enthusiast

Kittykerr has much to be proud ofKittykerr has much to be proud ofKittykerr has much to be proud ofKittykerr has much to be proud ofKittykerr has much to be proud ofKittykerr has much to be proud ofKittykerr has much to be proud ofKittykerr has much to be proud ofKittykerr has much to be proud ofKittykerr has much to be proud ofKittykerr has much to be proud of
Default Moved: is there anyway to download BBC radio shows to listen offline?

is there anyway that anyone knows of to download shows from the BBC listen again service to listen to offline, or even better to then save as an MP3 and play on an ipod?

any tips appreciated.

need my radio 2 fix!!!

its the only thing i miss form the UK and we only have dial up so connection is poor and would love to have it to listen to in the car on my ipod.
Old Nov 5th 2007, 3:23 am

bazzz is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: is there anyway to download BBC radio shows to listen offline?

Not really. You could try finding a proxy server or some of the BitTorrent sites that have UK TV shows on them will have some radio material.
Old Nov 5th 2007, 4:05 am
BE Enthusiast

Journeyman Electrician is a glorious beacon of lightJourneyman Electrician is a glorious beacon of lightJourneyman Electrician is a glorious beacon of lightJourneyman Electrician is a glorious beacon of lightJourneyman Electrician is a glorious beacon of lightJourneyman Electrician is a glorious beacon of lightJourneyman Electrician is a glorious beacon of lightJourneyman Electrician is a glorious beacon of lightJourneyman Electrician is a glorious beacon of lightJourneyman Electrician is a glorious beacon of lightJourneyman Electrician is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Kittykerr
is there anyway that anyone knows of to download shows from the BBC listen again service to listen to offline, or even better to then save as an MP3 and play on an ipod?

any tips appreciated.

need my radio 2 fix!!!

its the only thing i miss form the UK and we only have dial up so connection is poor and would love to have it to listen to in the car on my ipod.
Hi

Not sure about downloading realtime radio 2 shows but....

Why not sign up & download podcast

http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio2/podcasts/

Or try satelite radio
Old Nov 5th 2007, 5:31 am
BE Enthusiast

Kittykerr has much to be proud ofKittykerr has much to be proud ofKittykerr has much to be proud ofKittykerr has much to be proud ofKittykerr has much to be proud ofKittykerr has much to be proud ofKittykerr has much to be proud ofKittykerr has much to be proud ofKittykerr has much to be proud ofKittykerr has much to be proud ofKittykerr has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Journeyman Electrician
Hi

Not sure about downloading realtime radio 2 shows but....

Why not sign up & download podcast

http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio2/podcasts/

Or try satelite radio
already do, but 30 mins a week of the show doesnt last long.

and i dont know of any satellite radio playing Radio 2, do you? if there is i will jump at it.
sirius only do radio 1, XM does BBC world.
Old Nov 5th 2007, 10:08 am
Forum Regular

peachgary is an unknown quantity at this point

any tips appreciated.

need my radio 2 fix!!!

You can buy a program called total recorder and what it will do is record any thing that is playing on your PC as a mp3.
The only downside to this is that it records in real time so if your BBC show is 2 hours long it will take two hours to record.
Its easy to use then drag and drop the file into your ipod.
Old Nov 5th 2007, 12:39 pm

Member123 is an unknown quantity at this point

any tips appreciated.

need my radio 2 fix!!!

Think this alone should answer the "Why Canada..What am I missing" thread.

Dont say much for the UK
Old Nov 5th 2007, 12:53 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

any tips appreciated.

need my radio 2 fix!!!

Go to the radio 2 website and down load the available podcasts I guess is the easy thing to do. They have a few hightlite shows, like Jonathan Woss

Then you can listen to most shows with streaming feeds from the Radio 2 webite, and there are utility programs to take those feeds and save them for later , although I havent used any personally.

For all that stuff though, something faster than dial up is probably the answer.

Last edited by iaink; Nov 5th 2007 at 1:00 pm.
Old Nov 5th 2007, 1:18 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Biiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond repute

I use Audio Hijack Pro - it's a Mac program but there must be a PC equivalent.

It's pretty good, one of the few software programs I've ever paid for, and it's worth every cent! I record a lot of BBC concerts from the "Listen Again" feature with it, and then use it again to chop out the individual songs/pieces without all the talk in between.

It's also got a programmable timer just like a VCR, so if it's a non-BBC program in the middle of the night, I just set it and don't have to worry.
Old Nov 5th 2007, 3:38 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Biiiiink

It's pretty good, one of the few software programs I've ever paid for, and it's worth every cent! I record a lot of BBC concerts from the "Listen Again" feature with it, and then use it again to chop out the individual songs/pieces without all the talk in between.

It's also got a programmable timer just like a VCR, so if it's a non-BBC program in the middle of the night, I just set it and don't have to worry.
yeh i use a mac (the proper computer!!) and have considered that programme. however doesnt it require real time recording. like someone else said if a show is 2 hours it takes 2 hours to download?
have you used a similar mac programme called iRecordmusic? i think that one might be able to just download the show as a file rather than recording the sound as it plays.

i have found that i can use a RTSP downloader and download the file directly (im just trying to find a good RTSP downloader) then use another to convert them from RA to MP3.

see my plan is, my local safeway has free high speed wifi internet. so ill grap a coffee and download the weeks programmes all at once. hence me wanting to download the file rather than the sound itself.

thanks for all the tips, any ideas appreciated.
Old Nov 5th 2007, 4:27 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

sirius only do radio 1, XM does BBC world.
Sirius carries both Radio 1 and the World Service.
Old Nov 5th 2007, 5:16 pm
Slightly Canadian

Atlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbd33
Sirius carries both Radio 1 and the World Service.

Hiss, crackle, spit This is the BBC world service from London. The Prime Minster Mr Chamberlain returned from Germany today with a piece of paper signed by Herr Hitler....................Hiss, crackle etc
Old Nov 5th 2007, 5:24 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Atlantic Xpat
Hiss, crackle, spit This is the BBC world service from London. The Prime Minster Mr Chamberlain returned from Germany today with a piece of paper signed by Herr Hitler....................Hiss, crackle etc
I'm saddened that they don't have Big Ben anymore.

It's all a bit surreal, driving along in the fog in the middle of nowhere listening to news from all over the world knowing that none of the people one will meet that day will know anything about the war in Anzania, or even that there is an Anzania. It's even more surreal to listen to Radio One, one day last week they had a practical joke which ended with a slutty Welsh girl being exposed as a gossip.

DJ "So, would you say you have loose lips?"

Gossip "Er, how dya mean then?"

I must have been the only person for miles around snorting coffee down my nose and thinking of her genitals. It made me feel far from civilization.

Last edited by dbd33; Nov 5th 2007 at 5:43 pm.
Old Nov 6th 2007, 1:47 pm
Forum Regular

peachgary is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Moved: is there anyway to download BBC radio shows to listen offline?

Like most of us are saying the only way is in real time, here is a website that can help you..................

http://all-streaming-media.com/strea...io-streams.htm

I had a look at torrents for you but i cant seem to find any day to day radio shows just one off concerts etc..............
Old Nov 7th 2007, 4:02 pm
Forum Regular

Londonlady108 is just really niceLondonlady108 is just really niceLondonlady108 is just really niceLondonlady108 is just really niceLondonlady108 is just really niceLondonlady108 is just really niceLondonlady108 is just really niceLondonlady108 is just really niceLondonlady108 is just really niceLondonlady108 is just really niceLondonlady108 is just really nice

Originally Posted by Biiiiink

Cool - been looking for something like that - although the listen again is great - that way I can get my Steve Wright fix while cooking supper!!!