Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

Moved: Proud to be British....

Wikiposts

Moved: Proud to be British....

Old Sep 20th 2007, 2:01 am
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moved: Proud to be British....

Originally Posted by landhouse
Yes, I know how unreliable they are. I maintain statistics myself and know how easily they can be tinkered with.

It's just interesting to see that according to the global statistical information collected, that the UK is higher than Canada. How else can information be gathered if it isn't by statistical data?

I think it's probably a case of the richer countries probably have better recording methods, Best Value paperchases and all that crap. Though India came out top as the murder capital of the world with over 37,170 murders!
Im not arguing that statistics are invalid, just that a LOT of care has to go into taking comparisons and tables at face value.... Something like murder is pretty clear cut, you are either dead or you arent...violent crime or antisocial behaviour is much harder to pin down in a uniform way.
Old Sep 20th 2007, 2:04 am
Immigration Consultant

Paul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbd33
The general tone of your "UK gone to the dogs, look what terrible thing happened there now" I find to be gloating. Why else would you trouble to point out bad things happening there? The only other explanation that occurs to me is that it's about reassurance, if you cashed in your equity you can't go back and maybe you need to feel that you wouldn't want to. Either way picking at problems in the UK seems pointless, if you want to move on just move on.
The first part ("UK gone to the dogs, look what terrible thing happened there now") is fairly accurate. The second part about it being gloating is total rubbish. Why would anyone, myself included, see this as something to glad about. Its a disgraceful thing to have happened, it does point to a general breakdown of decency and social order that is going on in the Uk a the moment (as other posts on this thread confirm) and it is equally shameful regardless of whether you are still living in the UK or not. The fact that I have moved to Canada is irrelevant, I still have friends and relatives living in the UK (a number of friends near that area in particular).

I think you are looking too deep. There does not have to be a "hidden message" to every thread. This is a discussion forum after all. All day long people discuss things - both good and bad. Moreover it is a discussion forum for British Expats so significant news from the UK is always going to be a recurring topic.

When we read threads such as "dbd versus chickens" (just to pick a random example) nobody asked "what was the point of this thread?". We didn't look for a hidden message such as you trying to overcome your guilt after slaughtering innocent chickens and aiming to find reassurance in humourising said topic for example.

Last edited by Paul Wildy; Sep 20th 2007 at 2:19 am.
Old Sep 20th 2007, 2:42 am
Immigration Consultant

Paul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbd33
...if you cashed in your equity you can't go back and maybe you need to feel that you wouldn't want to....
Utter b****cks. Thanks to the collapse of the Pound I could probably go back with substantially more than I came with if I did want to. But I really don't want to. I'm not just trying to fool myslef here - I really don't! Almost every aspect of live is better for me and my family in Canada. You are deluded if you think the average british expat secretly wants to return to the UK but can't because the can't afford to! The majority of people who move to Canada really love their new life. I'm sorry if you don't.
Old Sep 20th 2007, 3:12 am

hot wasabi peas is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by NSpaul
When we read threads such as "dbd versus chickens" (just to pick a random example) nobody asked "what was the point of this thread?". We didn't look for a hidden message such as you trying to overcome your guilt after slaughtering innocent chickens and aiming to find reassurance in humourising said topic for example.
As the originator of that thread, you may have a point. Up until a year ago, I had eaten a vegetarian diet for 22 years and just last summer decided to eat meat again. Obviously, I have subconsciously expressed my "chicken-guilt" vicariously through farmy antics of dbd.

I'm now reading 'The Maple Leaf' with a whole new perspective!
Old Sep 20th 2007, 3:18 am
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

I love my life in canada, but I suspect that dbd is right, the relative cost of property in the two nations would make a return to the UK a very serious financial proposition for the majority of those expats looking to return. I suspect that very few of them would be quids in on the deal, and most would have to return substantially further down the property ladder than they left. The exception perhaps would be those enjoying the boom in Alberta.

There does seem to be rather too much analysis of the motives of this thread in my opinion, My head is still spinning that someone would actually do this, but I hope it doesn't reflect on me as a Brit personally. I gave up being proud of being british a long time ago I suspect anyway. Im not ashamed either, just ambivalent I guess.

Last edited by iaink; Sep 20th 2007 at 3:21 am.
Old Sep 20th 2007, 4:13 am
Class 1 Driver and Nurse

andy_sheila has a reputation beyond reputeandy_sheila has a reputation beyond reputeandy_sheila has a reputation beyond reputeandy_sheila has a reputation beyond reputeandy_sheila has a reputation beyond reputeandy_sheila has a reputation beyond reputeandy_sheila has a reputation beyond reputeandy_sheila has a reputation beyond reputeandy_sheila has a reputation beyond reputeandy_sheila has a reputation beyond reputeandy_sheila has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks to the collapse of the Pound.
Currently it is hovering around the $2 mark. when we arrived 2.5 yrs ago it was at a high of $2.25 and has since been as low as $1.99, hardly a collapse and it isn't a weak GBP anyway, it's a strong $cdn.
As for the point of this thread, DBD33's thread on chickens was different, love it or hate it but it was different. This thread is just another "lets bash the UK" thread. I for one have seen enough and as i said in my last post, i know how bad (and good) the UK can be, the same goes for Canada. Why is your post any different from the many other threads on the same lines?
if you are so happy here, why you so concerned enough to trawl through the Brit papers and dig up whatever dirt you can find?
I notice you didn't comment on the Halifax/NS crimes, i got them from a 2 minute search on the Chronicle herald website and i'm sure i can find more (and worse) crimes given more time. having said that, Halifax is the safest city i have ever visited so it just goes to show how one incident and/or statistics can be manipulated to suit the author!!!

Last edited by andy_sheila; Sep 20th 2007 at 4:21 am.
Old Sep 20th 2007, 4:36 am
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by landhouse
Crime isn't about being poor!
Living in a high crime area is a function of being poor. Do you think the residents of Anacostia, Rexdale, Liverpool and so on chose to move there from Georgetown, Richmond Hill and London?
Old Sep 20th 2007, 4:50 am
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

The first part ("UK gone to the dogs, look what terrible thing happened there now") is fairly accurate. The second part about it being gloating is total rubbish. Why would anyone, myself included, see this as something to glad about. Its a disgraceful thing to have happened, it does point to a general breakdown of decency and social order that is going on in the Uk a the moment (as other posts on this thread confirm) and it is equally shameful regardless of whether you are still living in the UK or not. The fact that I have moved to Canada is irrelevant, I still have friends and relatives living in the UK (a number of friends near that area in particular).

I think you are looking too deep. There does not have to be a "hidden message" to every thread. This is a discussion forum after all. All day long people discuss things - both good and bad. Moreover it is a discussion forum for British Expats so significant news from the UK is always going to be a recurring topic.

If the UK has in fact gone to dogs in the manner you describe, is it improper of me to leave my parents there on the Costa Geriatrica?

I imagine phoning my mother:

Self "I understand that you're beset by marauding hooligans and are no longer safe there. How about moving to Canada?"

Aged mother "You wot love?"

Self "England's dangerous, you might want to get out"

AM "Have you been drinking?"

Self "Of course, but aren't you scared there?"

AM "I'm not following you, is there another war? Ask yer father"

Self "Dad, I hear it's dangerous over there how about emigrating?"

AF "Driving's dangerous, 'cause of all us old people, but everyone over there drives like an old person. We'd be bored in Canada and it's cold. We'll stay here thanks. It's safe enough if you walk on the pavement and use the lights to cross the road". <tries to hang up but doesn't> "That American's been messing him up again, what's this drug they're all on now, oxyicillin?"
Old Sep 20th 2007, 4:53 am
Immigration Consultant

Originally Posted by andy_sheila
This thread is just another "lets bash the UK" thread. I for one have seen enough and as i said in my last post, i know how bad (and good) the UK can be, the same goes for Canada. Why is your post any different from the many other threads on the same lines?
if you are so happy here, why you so concerned enough to trawl through the Brit papers and dig up whatever dirt you can find?
Don't you ever read something and it outrages you SO much that you feel the need to draw other people's attention to it? That was why I posted it. I don't agree that people should only be allowed to make "nice" posts. 90% of my posts are helpful and respond to peoples questions. Some are just daft. And a few have "dark" content. I think that's healthy.

But even I am starting to wish I hadn't posted it. It seems like there are lots of people out there who, having lived in Canada for a few years, have now started to look back on Britain with gentle fondness as though it is some sort of idyllic land out of a Beatrix Potter story, and do not wish to face up to reality. I'm sorry to disappoint but that isn't what Britain is really like. Nor does the Easter bunny really exist. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news.
Old Sep 20th 2007, 4:57 am
Moderαtor Emeritus

I think the problem is taking an isolated extreme event like this and transposing that on to the whole country to say look how bad britain is now.

Obviously, some parts are grim, but on the other hand large parts are not.

It might be indicative though of a certain disenfranchised underclass that seems to be there now that didnt behave in this sort of blatantly antisocial way before.

Last edited by iaink; Sep 20th 2007 at 5:28 am.
Old Sep 20th 2007, 5:23 am
Stooodent

Chippers is just really niceChippers is just really niceChippers is just really niceChippers is just really niceChippers is just really niceChippers is just really niceChippers is just really niceChippers is just really niceChippers is just really niceChippers is just really niceChippers is just really nice

Originally Posted by iaink
I think the problem is taking an isolated extreme event like this and transposing that on to the whole country to say look how bad britain is now.

Obviously, some parts are grim, but on the other hand large parts are not.

Indeed - and a point I made a few pages ago.
Old Sep 20th 2007, 5:30 am
Immigration Consultant

an "extreme" event granted but not an "isolated" one. 2.4 million violent incidents per year remember (that the police are aware of)
Old Sep 20th 2007, 5:38 am
Moderαtor Emeritus

an "extreme" event granted but not an "isolated" one. 2.4 million violent incidents per year remember (that the police are aware of)
And no doubt all 2 400 000 involve someone pissing on a defenceless person while their friends video it for youtube

Who are you kidding, of course this was as isolated as it was extreme. If this sort of thing happened all the time it would not have been nearly as newsworthy and sensational, and you would not have felt the need to draw our attention to it.

Canada has violent incidents too dont forget. Every frigging hockey game is littered with them, and they all (well, nearly all) go unreported. We all seem to have conveniently overlooked the fact that HWP posted a link to a similar sort of pissing incident in Calgary a while back.

Last edited by iaink; Sep 20th 2007 at 6:25 am.
Old Sep 20th 2007, 6:14 am
BE Forum Addict

daft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond repute

I think the following post summed up how:
Please dont take part of my posts and then use them to back up your argument. It implies I agree with your views.
Old Sep 20th 2007, 6:24 am
BE Forum Addict

daft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond repute

We've had this discussion many times before. (I know it may be new to many posters and so worth repeating). You cant compare crime rates from one country to another as it depends on how crime is recorded a point very well illustrated by Kitty.

The behaviour was appalling by any societies standards. NSPaul was trying to use my post to back up his idea that this behaviour is typical of Britain but a point in Britains favour is that the poor woman was found by passers by who then called an ambulance etc. So you cant tar everyone with the same brush.

I do agree that the atmosphere in small town Britain is more intimidating and scary than it is here. The kids are better behaved and have more manners. I see this at work when I am x-raying people, I see it at the college I am at.

I was shocked by the violence seen on the news from Toronto, now that seems much worse than I used to hear about London. Maybe its a feature of what happens to humans when we are all crowded in together???

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.